Photos of Mount Rainier

born2cruize

Since there are several threads asking questions of Mount Rainier I thought I'd post these pictures I took this morning. When we have weather like the last couple of days it explains why we put up with the gloomy weather the other 350 day ;) .

This may also help those who had questions about zoom lenses for cameras. I have a Nikon camera (DSLR) with an 18 -55 zoom and a 70 - 300 zoom.

http://web.me.com/borntocruise/Northwest_Photos/Photos.html

Thank you for the photos and comparisons of mm/zoom. You have a wonderful view. Mt. Ranier is beautiful. Would you mind sharing approximately where these were taken (N,E,S) in relation to Seatlle?

I live about 10 miles South of Tacoma. That would be about 50 miles south of Seattle.

The Mountain has been BEAUTIFUL the last week. It looks your pictures were taken out around the Thun Field/Graham area. Thanks for posting the pictures.

It was just south of Thun Field. That green you see as a field use to be the Pierce County landfill.

I've added some pictures I just took today. We went up to Paradise. I mainly was going to take panoramas. The roads are clear. North of Longmire there was snow on the ground, not much. North of Narada Falls is were the snow was deeper but as I said no snow on the roadways. Roads to the East side are still closed. The little paper they give you as you enter the park said that the road through Stevens Canyon will be closed for a while. And even when it opens the construction will cause temporary closures.

Kathy,

Spanaway is about 45 miles south of Seattle..if you zoom out, you will see Seattle north. And if you zoom out a bit more and look to the east of where Spanaway is, you will see a purple circle and Longmire, which is at the base of the mountain.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Spanaway&state=WA

Actually I live in a Bermuda Triangle. My mailing address is Spanaway, recently they re-zoned the area and I actually live in Frederickson (but there is no such town or city by that name), but I am actually closer to Graham.

I was flying in from DFW this morning and because we were landing to the north, our approach took us closer to the mountain than I can recall having flown in many years. I'm guessing we were less than 20 miles from - and below - the summit on the north side as we passed. It literally filled the windows on the port side of the plane (I was on a starboard aisle seat, of course.)

I was flying in from DFW this morning and because we were landing to the north, our approach took us closer to the mountain than I can recall having flown in many years. I'm guessing we were less than 20 miles from - and below - the summit on the north side as we passed. It literally filled the windows on the port side of the plane (I was on a starboard aisle seat, of course.)

Any idea of which side of the plane to sit on when arriving from Minneapolis? We have 2 seats on both sides of the plane.

Any idea of which side of the plane to sit on when arriving from Minneapolis? We have 2 seats on both sides of the plane.
Virtually every flight from the northeast/midwest passes north of Mt. Rainier on approach into SEA, so you want the port (left) side, the opposite flying out. However, keep your eye on the temperature in Seattle. If it's in the 80s that usually means the wind at the airport is from the north, requiring final approach from the south. In that case, people will see the mountain on the left during descent, then the plane will loop around and during final approach the people on the right will have an okay if brief view.

Virtually every flight from the northeast/midwest passes north of Mt. Rainier on approach into SEA, so you want the port (left) side, the opposite flying out. However, keep your eye on the temperature in Seattle. If it's in the 80s that usually means the wind at the airport is from the north, requiring final approach from the south. In that case, people will see the mountain on the left during descent, then the plane will loop around and during final approach the people on the right will have an okay if brief view.

Thank you for the tip! Now I'll have to bribe my children to sit on the right side so I can have my camera ready on the left! For some reason I always seem to be on the wrong side of the plane as other passengers start with the oohs and aahs!

I don't know if this has been mentioned but each side of the mountain looks different depending on what direction you are looking. It use to be an old joke in Tacoma when someone from Seattle came down here in the old days they would say "we have this mountain that rises above the mountain range. But we've never seen your mountain before." If someone could post a photo from Seattle you can compare it from the picture I took from Thun Field. The picture I took on Mount Rainier was from the South and is somewhat a mirror image from the north.

BTW, I think the view from Tacoma has more character than the north or south :) .

Archived