Random Thoughts on Maasdam

ilovhywd

We weren't sure about cruising on an smaller and older ship, especially after taking the brand new Eurodam's first trans-Atlantic last August. But we felt a lot better when sail7seas (or maybe it was Ruth) who said it was one of her favorite ships.

Well, we were very pleasantly surprised. The ship was immaculate and the staff runs it efficiently and professionally. We loved the intimate feel of the various lounges and the showroom. At every show on the Eurodam, people were tripping on the poorly-designed steps, whereas the bottom floor of the Maasdam showroom is flat and feels more like a living room. I don't think we will ever cruise on a large ship again!

The only thing that disappointed us was the lack of enforcement of the dress code. Passengers in blue jeans and athletic shoes were permitted to be seated in the dining room, even on formal night! We felt this was an insult to the other passengers and the crew who took great pains to make this an elegant and special dinner.

We were not bothered by the new "no trays in the Lido" policy although we did have to go back to get our beverages or other items. I think there was much less food waste this way; you did not see people piling up their plates with heaps of food and then leaving half of it.

The dinner production on the last night must be a rather new addition because we've never seen it before. It was clever, innovative and an improvement over the ordinary Baked Alaska parade.

Oh, and if anyone from HAL is reading this..... could you please get some different, updated merchandise for the onboard boutiques? We have seen the same items for several years, and they're getting old!

Thanks, HAL, for a beautiful cruise!

RuthC is betting it was Sail that said it. ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. Glad you had a good time on the Maasdam. Are you going to be doing a more extensive review? If so, I'd love to know who is playing in the various lounges these days.

Oh, sorry Ruth. I get you two confused sometimes, as you both have numerous informative posts on this board.

I wasn't planning to write a detailed review, but I do have my Daily Programs handy. The music in the lounges was pleasant and entertaining, but not particularly memorable. My favorites were the Adagio Strings who played in the dining room and then moved to the Explorer's Lounge at 9:00 PM.

The Piano Bar featured Reynold, who said he was new to HAL. His "Name that Tune" games were fun.

The Ocean Bar alternated between piano music (names unknown) and The Neptunes. Then there were the usual, ubiquitous HAL-Cats.

I enjoyed the singers and dancers, although they were amateurish and the acts were sometimes corny. No comparison to the new, large production shows on the Eurodam but entertainment is not an important feature for us when choosing a ship.

Ilene

Yes, it is likely it was me. :D

DH and I love Maasdam and she is, indeed, one of our favorite ships.

Very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your cruise on her. We are eagerly counting down to our upcoming cruises on her for our annual Canada/New England cruises.

Thanks for your comments and Welcome Home.

Ilene, thank you for the entertainment info. I appreciate it. It's nice to have an idea about the entertainers when I run into them on whatever -dam ship I sail.

Thank you, too, for the kind words about my posts. I'm glad you find them informative.

Oh, sorry Ruth. I get you two confused sometimes, as you both have numerous informative posts on this board.

I wasn't planning to write a detailed review, but I do have my Daily Programs handy. The music in the lounges was pleasant and entertaining, but not particularly memorable. My favorites were the Adagio Strings who played in the dining room and then moved to the Explorer's Lounge at 9:00 PM.

The Piano Bar featured Reynold, who said he was new to HAL. His "Name that Tune" games were fun.

The Ocean Bar alternated between piano music (names unknown) and The Neptunes. Then there were the usual, ubiquitous HAL-Cats.

I enjoyed the singers and dancers, although they were amateurish and the acts were sometimes corny. No comparison to the new, large production shows on the Eurodam but entertainment is not an important feature for us when choosing a ship.

Ilene

Ilene,

Would you be able to post your daily programs or menus? It would be fun to get a sneak peek of what's to come.

Rabbitlady and husband

Boarding the Maasdam soon for two weeks!

Ilene - if you have a scanner but no where to put the scans online - I would be happy to add your programs to the info I already host.

Rich

I don't have the daily programs with me at the office today, but I could scan them to you tomorrow. I don't know how to post a .pdf file on Cruise Critic! Please tell me where to E-Mail the file.

Ilene

I was on the same cruise as you, thought it was great!

That dinner production you had the last evening of the cruise was the Master Chef dinner.

KK, the MCD ended a little differently than I have been seeing it. It was the normal program until the dessert course - instead of the "Sugar Sugar" song I've been seeing, they used the old traditional Baked Alaska parade song. No sparklers, but glow in the dark colored lights on top. Then after dessert was served, in the part where they introduce everyone, they had the cabin stewards come in and line up - they sang Gulang Gulang alone with the wine stewards while most of the dining room stewards were still serving the Baked Alaksa.

I was on the same cruise as you, thought it was great!

KK, the MCD ended a little differently than I have been seeing it. It was the normal program until the dessert course - instead of the "Sugar Sugar" song I've been seeing, they used the old traditional Baked Alaska parade song. No sparklers, but glow in the dark colored lights on top. Then after dessert was served, in the part where they introduce everyone, they had the cabin stewards come in and line up - they sang Gulang Gulang alone with the wine stewards while most of the dining room stewards were still serving the Baked Alaksa.

Interesting. We've not seen it done that way. We have made a habit of missing Master Chef's dinner on recent cruises..... might have to think about seeing this version of it.

Interesting. We've not seen it done that way. We have made a habit of missing Master Chef's dinner on recent cruises..... might have to think about seeing this version of it.

that's the way it was done on our favorite HAL ship.. 'thee Maasdam'.. when we last were on it --the last Caribbean cruise of the season-- ending on May 8th.. a bit of a change from previous Master Chef dinners..

Thanks, Ilene........Rich thank you as well. Can you post it all here on Cruise Critic.........on this thread or ?

Can't wait.........can't wait.

RL and husband

Cruising on the Maasdam soon for two weeks!

I'll post a link to it on this thread

Rich

I have 6 of the 7 daily schedules. I must have misplaced one of them. I am scanning them to Rich as we speak.

Thanks, Rich, for posting them where others can read them.

RabbitLady: - Please send your name and mailing address to me at variousmail@bellsouth.net. I have some unused HAL coupon books that our travel agent sent us as a gift. We only used the coupons for extra internet minutes, but there are good coupons for the spa, shops, photo, and other ship items. I will be happy to send them to you!

Ilene

I just realized that the movie schedule is not listed on the main page of the daily schedule.

They were usually shown every two hours or so in the Wajang Theater on Deck 7.

The movies on the May 23 cruise were:

Hotel for Dogs

Valkyrie

Gran Torino

Seven Pounds - (I missed the last fifteen minutes because I had to go to Trivia. I have to find out how it ends!!!)

Benjamin Button

Yes Man

Confessions of a Shopaholic

I'm not absolutely positive about this, but I think some of these movies are shown on the TV in the cabin after they are initially shown in the Wajang Theater. We saw part of Hotel for Dogs in our cabin a day or two after it was in the theater.

That was the case on Eurodam. We read the Anglina Jolie movie re: Not Her Son (can't remember the name of the film) was playing in the theater and then a few days later, we watched it on TV in our cabin.;

Archived