I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Thank you so much, Biaria. That gives me some idea of how much to pay. Ideally, we would like to get the shuttle into town and see the market and walk around for a while, showing our companions your beautiful city. We don't want to duplicate the cable car and toboggan, as DH and I have already done it. We could then find a taxi and negotiate with the driver for a 3 hour tour of the east side of the island, taking us back to the pier at the end. Since from the pier it would be 100-125 euro, how much do you figure it would be from the city, keeping in mind this is for four persons?

Hi Again: Thanks for the advice! I think the cab to to cable car and combo ticket to Monte with the gardens will be enough. We may have time to enjoy downtown for an hour or so.

Looking forward to our visit.

Dave

Yes, that's a good plan too.

Funchal is very walkable and interesting.

Thank you so much, Biaria. That gives me some idea of how much to pay. Ideally, we would like to get the shuttle into town and see the market and walk around for a while, showing our companions your beautiful city. We don't want to duplicate the cable car and toboggan, as DH and I have already done it. We could then find a taxi and negotiate with the driver for a 3 hour tour of the east side of the island, taking us back to the pier at the end. Since from the pier it would be 100-125 euro, how much do you figure it would be from the city, keeping in mind this is for four persons?

You're welcome!

I agree with you, there's so much to see, so better try to do something different.

If you get a taxi in town for a tour, you'll normally pay 75 euros for 3 hours or 100 euros for 4 hours, in a 4 passenger taxi.

Just make sure the driver speaks good English.

Edited by biaria

Biara:

I've only visited Madeira once, in September 2008, but we very much enjoyed what we saw. This was during the 'Funchal 500' celebrations, in fact when the Tall Ships were in port - I'm sure you remember the occasion.

Like many people in the UK we were shocked when saw the news film of the floods in Funchal in late February. It was terrible how many people died, and so suddenly and with such little warning. I was wondering: how have the relief and restoration efforts been progressing? I'm not asking because I'm visiting Madeira soon - in fact we don't have any trips to Madeira or the Canary Islands planned at the moment - but having seen the floods in the UK in the last few years and having gained an understanding as to how long it takes to recover from their effect, I was interested in how Fuchal and its citizens were getting on.

Hello tom uk,

I appreciate your concern.

Nobody expected that such a terrible thing could ever happen on this island.

Funchal is recovering very well from the floods and mudslides, though. As this is a touristic region, our Government was very quick with the clean up and restoration work, however some streets are still being repaired.

Shop owners, who had their stores flooded and most of their stocks ruined, were surprisingly optimistic about the future and the majority of them are back in business already.

The 600 homeless were very well cared for. Some stayed with family or friends but the vast majority was given temporary shelter and are being given new homes. Due to everybody's generosity, together with their new homes, these people are getting basic kits, to help them start a new life: furniture, appliances, clothes, food.

We will never forget what Madeira went through, but everyone has been trying to live as normally as possible.

Edited by biaria

Thanks to everyone who has so generously contributed to this thread and especially to Biaria. I've read every post plus more on tripadvisor and elsewhere on the web.

I've worked up two possible itineraries for our one day visit to Funchal on Wednesday, April 14. I'm interested in hearing input on which one we should choose as well as suggestions for improvement. Our ship docks at 1000 and departs at 1800. There are 4-6 adults in our group.

Thanks in advance.

In-town Itinerary

i) Mercado des Lavradores

(1) about 25-30 min walk from dock

ii) Cable car to Monte

iii) Visit to tropical gardens

iv) Cable car return to Funchal

v) Tour of Blandy’s (or other) wine lodge

vi) Hop on-Hop off bus or just wander through town

Out-of-town Itinerary

i) 2.5 hour tour via taxi or mini-van

(1) leave route to driver’s discretion based on weather and road conditions

ii) interested in Curral das Freiras and Eira do Serrado vantage point or Cabo Girao

iii) Drop off at Monte

(1) Tropical gardens

iv) Cable car to Funchal and return to ship

**would also consider making this a longer out of town adventure and having lunch at Zarcos, Doca Do Cavacas or Miradoura (all of which have been recommended) or another restaurant that is convenient to whatever destination is recommended.

saabfan:-

I haven't read all the listings on this thread but we more-or-less did your "in-town" itinerary last year but didn't actually go into the tropical gardens at Monte & we did the Toboggan Ride down (wouldn't have missed it for a thing!) I have recently posted on another Maderia post here with some hints re Toboggan / open top bus tour etc - we walked halfway to the cable car start (which is not too far from Mercado dos Lavradores looking at my map!) but then caught the bus after negotiating a good rate with one of the chaps selling tickets - there were 6 in our party - It should have been 10 euros per person & 5 for children but he let the 2 children go free.

Glad we did the hop on-hop off bus - saw a lot more than had we been just walking around the town & you get headsets to listen to the history; it's actually a relaxing way of seeing places too! It took us all around Funchal & up to Pico Dos Barcelos for some superb views. We didn't do Blandys as we had a 9 & 12 year old with us so we got back to the ship but my parents went back after the bus trip & enjoyed it.

The bus does pick up / drop off not too far from where the cruise ships dock but it may be worth walking to one of the stops where the people are trying to sell the tickets to get a better deal.

Jules

Thanks to everyone who has so generously contributed to this thread and especially to Biaria. I've read every post plus more on tripadvisor and elsewhere on the web.

I've worked up two possible itineraries for our one day visit to Funchal on Wednesday, April 14. I'm interested in hearing input on which one we should choose as well as suggestions for improvement. Our ship docks at 1000 and departs at 1800. There are 4-6 adults in our group.

Thanks in advance.

In-town Itinerary

ii) Cable car to Monte

Out-of-town Itinerary

i) 2.5 hour tour via taxi or mini-van

(1) leave route to driver’s discretion based on weather and road conditions

ii) interested in Curral das Freiras and Eira do Serrado vantage point or Cabo Girao

iii) Drop off at Monte

(1) Tropical gardens

iv) Cable car to Funchal and return to ship

**would also consider making this a longer out of town adventure and having lunch at Zarcos, Doca Do Cavacas or Miradoura (all of which have been recommended) or another restaurant that is convenient to whatever destination is recommended.

Hello saabfan,

Both your itineraries are good, but the Out-of-town one will give you a better idea of what Madeira is like.

In a 2.5 to 3 hour tour you can visit Pico dos Barcelos (a viewpoint where you can see Funchal and the suburbs), Eira do Serrado (the lookout over Curral das Freiras) and Cabo Girão.

The driver drops you off in Monte for your visit to the Tropical Gardens. Finally you take the Cable Car down to town and after a 30 to 40 minute walk you'll be back on your cruise ship.

In case you choose the In-town itinerary, Julessmiles has some good info on the HOHO bus.

Thanks Biaria and Julessmiles. For some reason the "out of town" adventure was calling to me. I've contacted a taxi service--just hope I have not waited too long. If no one is available I'm glad to know I have a viable plan B.

Thanks Biaria and Julessmiles. For some reason the "out of town" adventure was calling to me. I've contacted a taxi service--just hope I have not waited too long. If no one is available I'm glad to know I have a viable plan B.

Yes, either plan you follow, you'll enjoy your Madeira day.

Hi Biaria,

Your replies are most helpful. I have just a few questions to ask: -

I am very keen on my beer and I understand that Coral is the local one. Could you recommend the best place to sample, either in Funchal centre, or near the cruise ship. We are coming on Sunday, does that make a difference?

The sunday vist means no wine tasting I understand. The cable car is open, but will the Tropical Gardens near Monte be open? I take it the Botanical gardens are different. I think we'd like to do the cable car, the gardens and then a bus back? hen do the botanical gardens, then rest for that beer. Is this all possible on a sunday, and how long will it take (in case there is time to do a trip elsewhere too. Lots of questions, thanks in advance, and Happy Easter!

I've worked up two possible itineraries for our one day visit to Funchal on Wednesday, April 14. I'm interested in hearing input on which one we should choose as well as suggestions for improvement.

In-town Itinerary

ii) Cable car to Monte

Saabfan,

We had a very similar plan to your in-town itinerary when we visited Madeira in Nov/09. We decided to spend the entire day seeing Funchal rather than driving to other spots on the Island. We'll keep those in reserve for another visit!

I'd like to add that Funchal is very easy to navigate on your own. If you are good walkers, you can accomplish quite a bit in a short time. We walked to Mercado des Lavradores from where our ship docked - it took us about 25-30 min walking at a brisk pace. After a brief visit at the Market, we continued by bus #31 to the Botanical Gardens. These are the very lovely public gardens with great sea vistas that are often pictured on postcards of Madeira (NOT the Monte Tropical Gardens). Then we took the cable car to Monte where we visited the Church of Our Lady & saw the famous wicker baskets with their cute drivers. Nobody wanted rides that day, so the scene was pretty quiet. Quite frankly, unless you plan to ride the toboggans or go to the Tropical Gardens, there really isn't much happening in Monte. So we retraced our steps & took the cable car back to the Botanical Gardens where we got bus #31A to downtown Funchal. We got off near the Market & walked back to the ship. Along the way, we wandered thru the streets of downtown Funchal & stopped at Blandy’s Wine Lodge but we didn’t take a guided tour.

We bought a combo ticket at a kiosk along the seafront promenade that covered the cable car, public bus pass & entrances to the Botanical Gardens. This was a better deal than buying them separately. We didn't have time to do much else, although adding the HOHO is an interesting idea. Have fun!

Hi Biaria,

Your replies are most helpful. I have just a few questions to ask: -

I am very keen on my beer and I understand that Coral is the local one. Could you recommend the best place to sample, either in Funchal centre, or near the cruise ship. We are coming on Sunday, does that make a difference?

The sunday vist means no wine tasting I understand. The cable car is open, but will the Tropical Gardens near Monte be open? I take it the Botanical gardens are different. I think we'd like to do the cable car, the gardens and then a bus back? hen do the botanical gardens, then rest for that beer. Is this all possible on a sunday, and how long will it take (in case there is time to do a trip elsewhere too. Lots of questions, thanks in advance, and Happy Easter!

Hello scoggy,

Hope you had a good Easter.

For your beer, any bar will do, but in town. A new platform is under construction at the pier, so, at the moment, there are no bars near the cruise ships.

Some bars open on Sundays.

Wine factories are closed on Sunday, but you can have your wine tasting at a wine shop.

The Tropical Gardens will be open, as well as the Botanical Gardens. Yes, these two gardens are different from each other.

Now, instead of you taking the bus back into town before visiting the Botanical Gardens, you can a Cable Car, that will take you straight from Monte to the Botanical Gardens.

If you walk from the pier to the Cable car station, take the Cable Car to Monte, stay for about 1h30m in the Tropical Gardens, take the Cable Car to the Botanical Gardens, staying there for about 1h and them take a taxi or the bus to town, it will take you something like 4h to 4h30m.

Edited by biaria

We are signed up to be part of a private tour with Daniel's Taxis. I want to make sure that there are not more than a few stairs, even if you take the cable car up to Monte, and that if you take a van, a large one (15 passenger) cannot do it I thought I read somewhere about 70 stairs, and that large vans cannot get all the way up. More than 15 or 16 stairs would not be possible for me. I realize I probably sound a bit muddled, but could you tell me if a large van can make it to the top, and approximately how many stairs if you take the cable car?

Thanks so much.

Ellie

Thankyou Biaria, for all the great info on this site.. We are thinking of booking for next april 2011 and it is Easter week. april 24th 2011, we will be there on the sat the day before Easter, will there be tours or shops still open during the holy weekend. also we will be in lisbon the day after Easter, will things be close there too. Really would like to go to fatima but afriad things will be closed on that monday...Would you know anything about lisbon too.

Oh, by the way, my great grandparents are from the your home island of maderia.

Thankyou

Bev

We are signed up to be part of a private tour with Daniel's Taxis. I want to make sure that there are not more than a few stairs, even if you take the cable car up to Monte, and that if you take a van, a large one (15 passenger) cannot do it I thought I read somewhere about 70 stairs, and that large vans cannot get all the way up. More than 15 or 16 stairs would not be possible for me. I realize I probably sound a bit muddled, but could you tell me if a large van can make it to the top, and approximately how many stairs if you take the cable car?

Thanks so much.

Ellie

Hello Ellie,

I'd love to help you, but I'm not allowed to give any assistance related to private tours.

Enjoy Madeira!

Thankyou Biaria, for all the great info on this site.. We are thinking of booking for next april 2011 and it is Easter week. april 24th 2011, we will be there on the sat the day before Easter, will there be tours or shops still open during the holy weekend. also we will be in lisbon the day after Easter, will things be close there too. Really would like to go to fatima but afriad things will be closed on that monday...Would you know anything about lisbon too.

Oh, by the way, my great grandparents are from the your home island of maderia.

Thankyou

Bev

Hello Bev,

So nice to know your great grandparents are from Madeira, that being so you also have some Madeiran blood yourself!

I think you mean Saturday April 23rd 2011, because April 24th 2011 will be Easter Sunday.

Yes, on Saturday before Easter Sunday, everything opens normally, but, as on every Saturday, commerce closes at 1pm, except some supermarkets and Shopping Centres.

Monday after Easter Sunday is a normal working day, either in Madeira and in Portugal mainland, so you'll have no problem going to Fátima.

I know a couple of things about Lisbon, because I was there a couple of times already, but I'm afraid I don't know it well enough, to give accurate advice.

You're welcome!

Yes, Teixeira is a very portuguese surname.

As far as Madeira is concerned, it can rain in April, but it can also rain during any other month and I wouldn't day that April is particularly rainy.

Hello Biara, Thanks so much for the information. We will arrrive on the 26th of April and will be in port from 14:00 until 20:00. The bus ride to the gardens will have to wait. Will try a get a taxi to take us up there so that we can spend three hours there hopefull. Again, thanks

Hello bcnvcanada,

I have some good news for you: Buses to the Botanical Gardens, namely 31 and 31A, are leaving form the waterfront bus stops already.

Walking form your cruise ship, you'll get there in, something like, 30 minutes. Once you get to the bus stops area, look for the sign with 31 and 31A.

As your cruise ship arrives at 14:00, the following timetable may be useful:

• 31A leaves at 15:20
  • 31 leaves at 15:45

Latebloomercruiser,

You are in for such a treat with Daniel. We had the pleasure of his company on April 1. He is knowledgeable, intelligent, charming, interesting and he listens. We were not in a van because it was just the 3 of us. We did not want to do the sleigh but he drove us up to a place where we could watch them come down for a bit - yikes! I almost had a heart attack just watching! Know you will enjoy your day with Daniel.