I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Thank you Biaria for such specific info. Should be easy to find our way around now.

But.....the toboggan ride! We were all ready to take it when we saw a video showing walls along the sides of the street - that's a good thing!

But.....then the video continued & it showed cars sharing the same street as the toboggan! It looked very dangerous for the toboggan & occupants! Cars were weaving in & out to try & avoid the toboggan. Then the toboggan came to a crossroad, missing a car by seconds.

Was this video an accurate depiction?

Hi twoatsea,

I understand how scary the Toboggan ride can look to you, however I think everybody is very, very careful as there has never been a car accident.

There's a video on Youtube where cars are coming up the road, but that's not the norm, cars are only allowed to go down, which is dangerous enough for you, I'm sure.

On the crossroad, well ... I think the 2 conductors are extra cautious.

Biaria

Daily I'm viewing on the web cams, a very "different" Promanade Street ~~yes, I've seen the mud, debris, etc. I've also noticed the Beer Garden (down from the Promanade) looks like it's still closed ~~~

This morning I see 3 cruise ships calling on Funchal. This is good good news ~ hopefully all will be back to normal very soon.

Martita B.

That's right, the Beer House is still closed, but I believe they're planning on opening soon.

The restaurants by the Marina ... down there, right at the seafront ... are beind demolished, as there's some kind of a project for that area, which had already been signed up, prior to the floods.

Yes, today our pier was totally filled up with cruise ships and the weather was really beautiful. It's starting to feel like Spring.

Edited by biaria

Hi Biaria,

Thanks for sharing the first-hand & delightful Funchal information. Look forward to our

next Funchal visit this year, Saturday 13 November and then Nov 30, 2011. r/wes

My pleasure!

And enjoy your two visits to Funchal. I'm sure in November our town will be completly recovered.

Where is the Old Market? The last time we were in Funchal it was a national holiday and nothing was open. We're looking forward to enjoying the city this time.

Hi FritzG,

You'll love the Market, it's colourful and will give you the opportunity to mix with the locals.

It's located on the Old Town area. If you look at the webcam n.1, Martita posted, just picture yourself walking all the way until almost the end of the Promenade. Then you'll turn to your left, walk for another 5 minutes and you'll be there.

Biaria

Can you tell me the name of the exotic fruit that is akin to a "strawberry-banana?" It's quite ugly ~~and it's eaten by picking the 'lit pods from the "cob." I always take a couple of the fruits back to the ship ~Up at the Sky Bar, I pass it around for everyone to taste.

I love the Poncha drink ~I buy it at the Old Market.

I disappointed to hear the restaurant on the Marina will be torn down. I've eaten fantastic mussels (with homemade bread) at one of the dining venues.

Looking forward to visiting Funchal the end of March ~

MB

Hi CRUISER4U42,

All the debris, stones and mud have been taken away and most streets are open to traffic, except those that need to be repaired.

I think by April 20th everything will be even better.

Biaria

Can you tell me the name of the exotic fruit that is akin to a "strawberry-banana?" It's quite ugly ~~and it's eaten by picking the 'lit pods from the "cob." I always take a couple of the fruits back to the ship ~Up at the Sky Bar, I pass it around for everyone to taste.

I love the Poncha drink ~I buy it at the Old Market.

I disappointed to hear the restaurant on the Marina will be torn down. I've eaten fantastic mussels (with homemade bread) at one of the dining venues.

Looking forward to visiting Funchal the end of March ~

MB

Hi Martita,

I think the fruit you're talking about is more like a pineapple-banana, isn't it? In Portuguese we call it "fruto delicioso", which translates to "delicious fruit".

I believe the new project for the Marina envolves some new restaurants , so you can look forward to going back there for mussels, one day.

Biaria

YES, that's it ~~"pineapple-banana":p it is certainly dee-licious!

There use to be the cutest florist along the pier. (with all the 'lit stores and cantina) I use to always stop in and shop ~~after all the shops left, I've wondered if the florist relocated into Funchal.

Thanks for the fruit information ~

Martita B

You're welcome!

After the new pier platform is ready, I'm sure there will be flower sellers again, as well as other facilities.

I don't know who was selling flowers at the pier, but, probably, they have a shop in town as well.

Edited by biaria

Biaria

I'm delighted to see from the web cam, quite a bit of progress at "The Beer House." Over the past few days I've viewed new chairs, tables and umbrellas being set up in the outdoor dining area. I've seen evidently the owners very busy in this area ~~it's good news!

The main blvd. is also looking much better ~~

Am looking forward to visiting Funchal end of March ~

Martita B.

Hi Martita,

"The Beer House" reopened today and, as they say, «...stronger than ever!»

Dolce Vita Shopping Centre reopened today as well. The place was badly flooded, thank God they had time to evacuate everybody, as they were warned of what was coming their way. Apparently the flooding arrived there at a later stage. The street near by was seriously damaged.

I always buy 3 small local "Coral" beers (bottles) and take these back to the ship ~~I pour the beer out and arrange colorful flowers in these ~~as vases! I add colorful ribbons at the top and volia, a cute small arrangements to give to friends, Staff or Crew members.

As I mentioned I've been sitting and people watching in the outdoor area at the Old Market for many years and have been served by the SAME lady ~~~she always reconizes me! And knows that I will ask for the 3 SAME small beer bottles ~~she just brings them to me!

Some of the happiest times of my life have been spent at the Funchal Old Market!

Martita B.

Biaria,

So glad that everything seems to be getting back to normal - I look forward to being on your island next month.

We arrive on a Sunday, so I know that a lot will be closed (we have a tour booked w/ Daniel), but will there be restaurants/cafes open? I like to sit and watch the locals. Can you please give me an idea of how much it would cost to have a light meal? Also, any reccommendations as to where to eat?

Thank you again for all your information/advice.

Martita, that's an interesting idea for a vase!

The area outside the Market is completely cleaned up and I believe the tables and chairs have been placed there again. Some streets near by are still being repaired, though.

Edited by biaria

Biaria

I buy the gorgeous Birds of Paradise and always nosegays ~~also greenery to make my arrangements. Believe it or not, adding my curly red/white ribbons around the bottle neck, makes a really cute arrangement. And a remembrance for my shipmates of our visit to Madeira.

Sometimes I take my bottle of Poncha to the Sky Bar for a "tasting" and share it.

Have a great weekend!

MB

Oh yes, your flower arrangements surely must look pretty.

Poncha is one of our very famous drinks, I bet your cruisemates appreciate you sharing it with them.

A great weekend to you too.

Edited by biaria

Biaria,

So glad that everything seems to be getting back to normal - I look forward to being on your island next month.

We arrive on a Sunday, so I know that a lot will be closed (we have a tour booked w/ Daniel), but will there be restaurants/cafes open? I like to sit and watch the locals. Can you please give me an idea of how much it would cost to have a light meal? Also, any reccommendations as to where to eat?

Thank you again for all your information/advice.

Hello Monica,

Yes, everybody has been working so hard and our town is almost back to normal.

The majority of restaurants and cafes open on Sunday, so you'll have a lot to choose from. Maybe if you discuss the matter with your driver, he'll be able to recommend the right restaurant for you. A light meal including, for instance, soup, bread and a drink can cost you something between 5 and 7 euros, or a bit more, it will all depend on your choice of restaurant.

You're welcome.

Hi Biaria,

So glad to hear that things are continuing to get better there. I'm looking forward to my visit in a few weeks. My plan is to walk from the pier to the market. From the market I plan to take the cable car to the Monte, enjoy the Tropical Gardens and then return down by cable car.

Need to be back to the ship by 4pm, but I hope that I will have enough time for lunch so I can try Madeira's famous Black Scabbard fish. I'd love a casual restaurant where I could eat outside preferably near the water, and enjoy the delicious fish. On Trip Advisor, I found a restaurant called, Gavaio Novo but I can't determine if it is open for lunch or where it is located and the proximity to the cable car station or the pier. Are there restaurants that are closer? I would certainly appreciate your thoughts and if you think I have enough time.

Thank you!

Hello Bway Baby,

That's an excellent plan for your day in Funchal.

Gavião Novo is in the Old Town area, so not far from the Cable Car station, but it's not near the water and they don't have tables outside, however black scabbard fish is served there and they open for lunch. They reopened recently after the floods.

You'll find other restaurants in the Old Town area, closer to the Cable Car station and with tables outside.

Oh ... you'll love your Black Scabbard fish lunch!

Now, timewise: I'd say you'll take between 30 to 45 minutes to walk from your cruise ship to the market. Tropical Gardens will take something like 2 hours for a worthwhile visit. Then, from the Old Town to your ship, it'll probably be another 45 minute walk.

Edited by biaria