I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Por favor, I would like to Rent a MOTORCYCLE (Motocicleta) when we arrive 3 April aboard the PRINSENDAM. It appears 'Joyride Motocicleta' is no longer open for business. 'MAGOS RENTAL' in Canico rents motorcycles, yes? My Internet E-mails to MAGOS have recieved no reply yet. Do you know if MAGOS in Canico would rent a motorcycle to me for the day? Thank-you....Obrigado. Locomotiveman TOM

Hi Biaria,

I would appreciate your help in our planning.:)

We will be visiting on Tuesday 20th April, from 7am until 5pm.

Based upon your previous comments, an itinerary of:-

- taxi to Market.

- Cable Car to Monte.

- Visit to Tropical Gardens.

- Basket ride.

- Blandys Wine Lodge.

looks great.

After the basket ride, would you return to Monte to get the cable car back down, or just take a taxi to Blandys?

Also, if we wanted to fit in a visit to Reids too where could this be fitted in? And indeed, would you recommend a visit to Reids?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Best wishes.

Hi KingHal,

Yes, you made an excellent choice for your itinerary.

After the basket ride, I'd recommend you taking a taxi to Blandy's, otherwise you'll waste your precious time. Before taking the taxi, agree on a reasonable fare with the driver and don't accept paying more than 10 euros.

You can visit Reid's Palace after Blandy's, if you still have enough time. Here again, taking a taxi will be your best solution.

If you're interested in visiting Reid's, I think you should do it. Some people go there for tea or a drink, but others just have a walk around the gardens.

I'm very pleased to help you plan your visit to Madeira.

Enjoy your day in the Island.

Edited by biaria

We'll be there on Sunday 4/18 on the Disney Magic and as I have bad hips and knees having tea at Reids sounds just like my speed!

Can you tell me about how much I should expect to pay for a taxi from the port to the hotel? And can a regular taxi accomodate four people?

Thanks!

Hello ibouncetoo,

For the ride from the pier to the Reid's Palace, you'll be charged between 12 and 15 euros, per 4 passenger taxi.

That's right, a regular taxi accomodates 4 passengers, but we already have a good quantity of 6 passenger taxis as well.

Biaria,

Bom dia (from my old Brasilian portugese days :)).

Thank you for all your advice and information.

I have heard that Madeira is a good place to go on a whale/dolphin watching cruise. Is this correct? Have you heard anything about this?

TIA!

Hi Biaria

Thank you so much for all the information you have given. We are very excited to be visiting your island at the end of April.

I've read conflicting reports (10 minute walk to 40 minute walk) on the distance from the cruiseport to the cable car station. Would you please clarify?

I think we want to take to cable car up to Monte. Hubby is into photography and hopefully he'll be able to get some great shots.

I've read there is another cable car that offers different views. We are trying to decide if we should ride that one too or spend more time at the gardens. Any advice?

Thanks

Linda

Hello Linda.

Nice to know you're all enthusiastic about your visit to Funchal.

Cruise ships dock, mostly, on the south side of our pier, but sometimes they dock on the north side and that's the main reason for existing such a big difference on people's reports on how far the Cable Car sation is from the port. Another reason lays on how fast people walk.

As for me, I'd say it takes between 15 to 20 minutes from the north side of the pier to the cable car station and 30 to 40 minutes from the south side.

The other Cable Car you're refering to, is from Monte to the Botanical Gardens, but the views aren't as great as from town to Monte. If you're also interested in visiting the Monte Palace Tropical Gardens, maybe that would be a better choice. You'll need at least 2 hours for a good look around the place.

Edited by biaria

Madeira is our first port on a TA from Fort Lauderdale, and we are immediately taking a taxi tour when we disembark. Of course we need to pay in euros. Are there ATMs at the cruise terminal that we can easily access?

Ellie

Hi Ellie,

At the moment, there are no ATM's at the pier, probably later on, when the new platform is ready.

We have lots of ATM's in town and in several points around the Island, though and I'm sure your driver will gladly take you to one.

Enjoy your tour.

Yes, that's a good idea!

After your visit to Funchal and the surrounding area, next time you must really venture a bit further away.

Pico dos Barcelos, Nun's Valley (Curral das Freiras), Câmara de Lobos, Cabo Girão and Monte are doable as a half day tour and will give you a better idea of what Madeira is all about.

Hi Biaria,

Thank you for all of this great information. It has given me the idea that when I arrive for one day, March 31, that I will not take one of the ship's shore excursions but will explore Funchal on my own.

Could you let me know if the island is safe for a woman traveling alone?

Many thanks! :)

Hi Biaria,

Thank you for all of this great information. It has given me the idea that when I arrive for one day, March 31, that I will not take one of the ship's shore excursions but will explore Funchal on my own.

Could you let me know if the island is safe for a woman traveling alone?

Many thanks! :)

Hello Bway Baby,

You're welcome!

Yes, Funchal can well be explored on your own and if you are a good walker, you won't even need any kind of transport.

And you can feel confident that our Island is safe for ladies travelling alone.

Enjoy!

Hello FritzG,

The HOHO bus doesn't pass right in front of the tasting rooms, but if you're doing the HOHO tour, maybe you could ask the driver to leave you as near to the rooms as possible.

If, for example, you choose to walk from the port to the wine lodge, it may take you between 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your cruise ship's docking site.

Some agencies provide a shuttle service from the pier to the centre of town, try to find out if such a service is being provided to your ship. It would, then, take you only about 10 minutes to walk to the rooms.

The other option, of course, will be you taking a taxi, which will drop you off right at the wine lodge's doorstep.

Have a nice day in Madeira.