I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Hello Biaria and other cruisers,

I would like to do something different. Catch a local bus out to another part of the island, getting away from the busy tourist area. Possible a nice walk in the country side.

Can anyone recommend any destinations, bus #'s, etc.

Thanks so much and appreciate all your great tips.

Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,

Your plan may be doable, if you're staying here for a good amount of time. However, if your idea is to walk on a Levada, it may not be that easy to get there and back by public transport only.

Anyway, if your cruise ship is staying here for, say, 5 or 6 hours, it may not be a good idea to venture too far. I'd even say that, should that be the case, your best bet would to to stay in Funchal.

Biaria, please can you advise us. I have just realised that we shall be coming into Funchal on April 17th & that if I am correct this is the weekend of the Madeira Flower Festival?

Can I ask a few questions please? We would also like to see the market and also the Tropical Gardens in Monte, as well as what the festival has to offer. How would be best to plan our day?

Thank you.

Hello Janevo,

That's correct, April 17th and 18th we're having our annual Flower Festival. The Parade will be on Sunday, but on Saturday you can visit the Flower Exhibition and walk around Placa Central where most festivities are centred. Placa Central starts right in front of our Cathedral.

At 10am on Saturday, there is the Children's Parade, but it only consisting of some children walking from Placa Central to Largo do Município (also known as Largo do Colégio), to place some flowers on the Muro da Esperança (Wall of Hope).

I'd suggest you visiting the Market first thing in the morning, followed by Monte Tropical Gardens. When you're finished, you can stroll around in town, enjoying the Flower Festival.

Hello, We hope that by now things have returned to nomal, since you rains. We will be arriving late afternoon in your beautiful city, and would like to take public transit to the Jardin Botanico De Maderia, one our most favourite places. Is it possible to do so? Most taxi seems to want to take you on a tour, but we only want to go to the gardens? Also, would you know how late the garedens stay open? Thanks again,

Hi bcnvcanada,

In fact Funchal is getting back to normal, but some streets in town are still being repaired.

The Botanical Gardens close at 6pm, so, if you're arriving late afternon, I'm afraid it may be too late for your visit.

In case your cruise ship is staying overnight, your best bet will be to reschedule your visit for the next day.

The bus for the Botanical Gardens used to leave, very conveniently, from the water front area, but because of the reparation work still underway, it has been temporarly moved. If you wish, you can check with me later on, closer to your departure, so that I can give you an update on the situation. Anyway, even though the bus stop is now a bit further away, it's still possible for you to walk till you reach it, however you will need a map or to ask for directions.

Hello Biara, Thanks so much for the information. We will arrrive on the 26th of April and will be in port from 14:00 until 20:00. The bus ride to the gardens will have to wait. Will try a get a taxi to take us up there so that we can spend three hours there hopefull. Again, thanks

You're welcome!

As you're arriving at 14:00, you'll still have enough time for your visit to the Botanical Gardens.

Yes, due to the circunstances, maybe your best bet will be to go there by taxi.

In the meantime, if the water front bus stops become operational by 26th April, I'll come here and let you know.

Edited by biaria

We are on the Disney Cruise and will be visiting Funchal on April 18. I know the Flower festival is going on, but unsure how that might impact what is open on Sunday. Also, we wanted to know how close the hop on, hop off bus is to the port. We have some mobility challenged passengers and do not want to have to walk too far. Also, are there sights open on Sunday that have loaner wheelchairs that we might be able to use during our visit to the site? I have seen the Yellow and Blue buses, but have not been able to get access to a good map to see where they go and if it is worth doing both. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello Biaria,

We are arriving on the 08th May (Saturday) with 4 teenagers and a 7 year old. I thought it might be fun to do the obvious tourist things in the short time the ship is in port. Is it feasible to walk from the port to the Cable car terminal (to Monte,) then take the tobbogan ride (for 7) down to the bottom. Do you know what buses run from the end of the toboggan run back into Funchal (near the port) in case time becomes an issue?

Many thanks.

Hello Biaria,

We are arriving on Apr 22. Going through my things I found 4000 escudos.

(4 bills of 1000 each) Is there any place in Funchal where I can turn them

in for euros. Will be in port from 8am to 5pm

We are on the Disney Cruise and will be visiting Funchal on April 18. I know the Flower festival is going on, but unsure how that might impact what is open on Sunday. Also, we wanted to know how close the hop on, hop off bus is to the port. We have some mobility challenged passengers and do not want to have to walk too far. Also, are there sights open on Sunday that have loaner wheelchairs that we might be able to use during our visit to the site? I have seen the Yellow and Blue buses, but have not been able to get access to a good map to see where they go and if it is worth doing both. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello TutterCruiser,

Even though we'll be having our Flower Festival on April 18th, there won't be any changes as far as the opening of sites and facilities is concerned.

The Hop On Hop Off bus stops somewhat away from the pier and mobility challenged people won't be able to walk that far. In case there is a Shuttle bus you can use it, alternatively there will be taxis.

In case you use the taxi service, make sure you approach the line for trips to town and not the one for tours.

In so sorry, but I don't think it will be possible for you to hire wheelchairs, while visiting the sites.

Both HOHO companies do practically the same tour, so, any one you choose will be good. I believe they go as far as Câmara de Lobos and, among other places, visit Pico dos Barcelos as well.

Oh ... one is yellow as you mention, but the other one is red, not blue.

Hi: We arrive 12/8/10 on NCL Jade 1-6pm. What is the easiest way to reach the cable car from the pier? With about 3hrs in port is it possible to visit Monte via the cable car or should we hire a taxi for a short tour. If the taxi is the route about how much do they charge for 3-3.5 hrs.

Appreciate any ideas you may have.

Dave

Biaria: We only have a small group of 4 persons. Is it possible to arrange for a taxi tour directly from the pier? And what would be a fair price for a half-day tour covering part of the island? We did the cable car to Monte and the toboggan ride down the last time we were in Funchal, so we would like to venture out a little more this time. Should we just keep asking the taxis in line until we find a driver who speaks fairly good English and then negotiate with him? Our cruise is not until November, but I wanted to have a couple of options. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hello Biaria,

We are arriving on the 08th May (Saturday) with 4 teenagers and a 7 year old. I thought it might be fun to do the obvious tourist things in the short time the ship is in port. Is it feasible to walk from the port to the Cable car terminal (to Monte,) then take the tobbogan ride (for 7) down to the bottom. Do you know what buses run from the end of the toboggan run back into Funchal (near the port) in case time becomes an issue?

Many thanks.

Hello Jetdriver787,

It's possible to walk from the port to the Cable Car station in town, but it will take something like 30 to 40 minutes.

Once you're in Monte, the toboggan ride is just a 5 minute walk away from the Cable car station, so you'll get there easily.

To take the bus down after the Toboggan ride, any one that says "Centro", meaning "Center", is good but it won't stop very close to the pier, so you'll need to walk for, at least, 30 minutes again.

Hello Biaria,

We are arriving on Apr 22. Going through my things I found 4000 escudos.

(4 bills of 1000 each) Is there any place in Funchal where I can turn them

in for euros. Will be in port from 8am to 5pm

Hello kingart55,

Yes, it's still possible for you to have your escudo bills exchanged for euros in the bank, but only in Banco de Portugal. Banks here close at 3pm.

In case you still have some coins as well, they won't accept them, though.

Hi: We arrive 12/8/10 on NCL Jade 1-6pm. What is the easiest way to reach the cable car from the pier? With about 3hrs in port is it possible to visit Monte via the cable car or should we hire a taxi for a short tour. If the taxi is the route about how much do they charge for 3-3.5 hrs.

Appreciate any ideas you may have.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Both options are perfectly feasible.

The easiest way to reach the Cable Car station is by taxi (7.50 euros), but, in case there's a shuttle bus, you can ask if they'll drop you off in that area.

If you're good walkers, you may even fancy the idea of walking to the station. You just go along the water front and you'll reach the station in 30 to 40 minutes. However, as your stay here is so short, it may end up not being a good idea.

The ride up to Monte takes 15 minutes (10 euros per person one way and 15 euros per person round trip). After you had a quite stroll around the place, you take the Cable car down to town. At this point, and depending on the time, you can either return to your ship or explore the town a bit.

Now, for your other option. Of course you can also choose to take a taxi at the pier for a tour. In fact this would give you a broader view of the island.

Beware of opportunists, though, and don't accept to pay more than 100 euros for a 3 to 3 1/2 hour tour, if starting at the pier.

And I say "...if starting at the pier", because taxi rates at the pier are higher than in town.

Edited by biaria

Biaria: We only have a small group of 4 persons. Is it possible to arrange for a taxi tour directly from the pier? And what would be a fair price for a half-day tour covering part of the island? We did the cable car to Monte and the toboggan ride down the last time we were in Funchal, so we would like to venture out a little more this time. Should we just keep asking the taxis in line until we find a driver who speaks fairly good English and then negotiate with him? Our cruise is not until November, but I wanted to have a couple of options. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hello mimicsr,

I really do recommend you take the half day tour this time, as there's lots to see on the island.

Yes, that really is the best way to go about it. While speaking to the driver, you'll get an idea of how good or bad his English is and, also, it's very important to negotiate a fair price. A reasonably priced half day tour will be something like 120 euros.

As I mentioned on my last post, this rates are normal for the pier, in town a half day tour would cost you less.

Edited by biaria

Hello Dave,

Both options are perfectly feasible.

The easiest way to reach the Cable Car station is by taxi (7.50 euros), but, in case there's a shuttle bus, you can ask if they'll drop you off in that area.

If you're good walkers, you may even fancy the idea of walking to the station. You just go along the water front and you'll reach the station in 30 to 40 minutes. However, as your stay here is so short, it may end up not being a good idea.

The ride up to Monte takes 15 minutes (10 euros per person one way and 15 euros per person round trip). After you had a quite stroll around the place, you take the Cable car down to town. At this point, and depending on the time, you can either return to your ship or explore the town a bit.

Now, for your other option. Of course you can also choose to take a taxi at the pier for a tour. In fact this would give you a broader view of the island.

Beware of opportunists, though, and don't accept to pay more than 100 euros for a 3 to 3 1/2 hour tour, if starting at the pier.

And I say "...if starting at the pier", because taxi rates at the pier are higher than in town.

Hi Again: Thanks for the advice! I think the cab to to cable car and combo ticket to Monte with the gardens will be enough. We may have time to enjoy downtown for an hour or so.

Looking forward to our visit.

Dave