I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Again, thank you Biaria for your expert help and information.

I am happy and thankful cruise ships will be calling on Funchal once again ~~

I always shop the Old Town Market and buy lots of beautiful exotic flowers to take back to the ship ~~my friends and the ship's Staff love to receive these bouquets. Also I buy exotic fruits ~~

I plan to fly to Madeira and spend 2 weeks next summer. Do you know if there are still flights from Ponta Delgada to Funchal? I believe flights were available certain days of the week.

Thanks again

Martita B

Hello Martita B.

After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that, at the moment, there are no direct flights from Ponta Delgada to Funchal. This situation may change in Summer, though.

You must look extremely beautiful, when you get back to the ship holding all those flowers!

Edited by biaria

Howdy Terry,

I've decided to sail on the new Seabourn Sojourn this summer ~~so sorry we'll miss being aboard together.

I'll be flying to Ft Laud middle of March as I'll be aboard the Seabourn Spirit for the Spring Crossing to Lisbon. I loveeee those lazy, dazy, hazy crazy sea days! I've planned a few parties, events and "affair's" for this Crossing ~~should be fun and festive packed!:eek:

I always look forward to our visit to Funchal ~~I adore the Portuguese folks and their food/port wines.

Hope to sail with you one of these years ~:p

Martita B.

Howdy Terry,

I've decided to sail on the new Seabourn Sojourn this summer ~~so sorry we'll miss being aboard together.

I'll be flying to Ft Laud middle of March as I'll be aboard the Seabourn Spirit for the Spring Crossing to Lisbon. I loveeee those lazy, dazy, hazy crazy sea days! I've planned a few parties, events and "affair's" for this Crossing ~~should be fun and festive packed!:eek:

I always look forward to our visit to Funchal ~~I adore the Portuguese folks and their food/port wines.

Hope to sail with you one of these years ~:p

Martita B.

THANKS, Martita B., for the update on your latest adventures! Sorry we will miss you along the Norway Coast, but look forward to a future chance to be a part of your famed "PINK PARTIES" and other excitement. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi Biaria,

I am so glad to hear that things are getting back to normal for you. That must be a relief.

I am scheduled to dock there on March 31st. Do you know if there was much damage to the Monte Tropical Gardens? I had hoped to take the cable car up and spend a couple of hours. Do you think that will still be possible or should I be changing my plans?

Thanks in advance for your valuable guidance!

Hi Biaria,

I am so glad to hear that things are getting back to normal for you. That must be a relief.

I am scheduled to dock there on March 31st. Do you know if there was much damage to the Monte Tropical Gardens? I had hoped to take the cable car up and spend a couple of hours. Do you think that will still be possible or should I be changing my plans?

Thanks in advance for your valuable guidance!

Hello Bway Baby,

That's right, Funchal is trying to get back to normal fast and lots of activities are operational already.

Yes, the Tropical Gardens are open. There was some damage from the mudslides, but nothing too serious, so they are open to the public, meaning you can follow your plan.

Have a nice time in the island!

Hi again Biaria,

I'm very happy to read that things are starting to normalize on Madeira, even though I realize it will take much time to fully recover from such devastation.

Best wishes to you & your family!

Hi MightyQuinn,

You're right, things don't just get back to normal overnight. The most obvious is being taken care of now, the remaining will take its time.

Thanks and best wishes to you too.

Biaria, I just found this thread since I am researching Funchal/Madeira for our visit on Tuesday, April 20 via the RCCL Independence. I'm so sorry about what happened to your hometown and area, but mostly for the families who lost loved ones and those seriously injured. Glad to read that you are fine. Hope you and your neighbors are soon back to normal.

I read all of the many pages of this thread & thanks to you I got an itinerary for our day -

- Taxi from pier to Market.

- Taxi* from Market to Monte Tropical Gardens.

- Basket ride.

- Taxi to ship

*Note we will taxi, not cable car. I saw pictues of the cable cars & they are much too high for us!

So, if you would not mind receiving more questions, I have some, please.

1. Will there be taxis outside the Market?

2. Should we taxi between the Tropical Gardens & the basket ride, or are they located close to each other?

3. If we decide not to take the basket ride, are there taxis outside the Tropical Gardens to take us back to the ship?

4. Is the toboggan ride scary? I'm not interested in experiencing a feeling of going over the side of a cliff!

Lastly, the HoHo bus, just in case the weather is not good, &/or we decide not to venture to Monte -

1. What are the directions from the ship to the nearest bus stop & how far is it?

2. Do we just pay the bus driver?

Thank you for your generous help to all of us.

Edited by twoatsea

Biaria

Yes, the Dias hotel is so close to Old Town and just up the hill from the Market. The hotel has a "secret passage path" that wanders right down TO the Market.

Do you know of Quinta Elena? Mr Harris, from the UK owns it and I've visited a couple of times ~~~looking forward to returning.

I loveeee Maderia ~~and the Portuguese folks!

I view Funchal daily on the web cam ~~I see such progress! Hopefully the Island will be back to it's "norm" very soon!

Sendings hug's to all ~

Martita B.

We also enjoyed the Albergaria Dias hotel in Funchal...wonderful sea views, superb breakfast served beside the pool, and as Martita says, an easy walk to the Market or Pier. For a light dinner before your cruise, try the wonderful pizzeria 2 min down the "secret path, take a right and "mangare buono". Albergaria Dias, #1 hotel out of 101 rated by trip advisor in Funchal. See below for the last

few of the 107 excellent ratings this hotel gets

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating

Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands, Portugal

...Traveler Reviews of Hotel Albergaria Dias Funchal

“This Place Is Truly A Gem”

by Armarina on Feb 11, 2010 Even before we left home we were impressed as when we made the (direct) booking the hotel offered to arrange a taxi to pick us up at the airport which was a welcome service after a long journey.

“A Tranquility and Service Second to None”

by safetyrazor on Feb 4, 2010 My wife and I stayed in a sea view room. Senior Dias, his son, and the ladies and young man at reception were fantastically friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The room was immaculate,

by Taxidiotissa on Jan 24, 2010 This is one of the nicest hotels my husband and I have ever stayed at. The service is so personal and friendly. We travelled independently and took the Aerobus from the airport to the nearest stop

Edited by Colonel(Ret.)Wes

Biaria, I just found this thread since I am researching Funchal/Madeira for our visit on Tuesday, April 20 via the RCCL Independence. I'm so sorry about what happened to your hometown and area, but mostly for the families who lost loved ones and those seriously injured. Glad to read that you are fine. Hope you and your neighbors are soon back to normal.

I read all of the many pages of this thread & thanks to you I got an itinerary for our day -

- Taxi from pier to Market.

- Taxi* from Market to Monte Tropical Gardens.

- Basket ride.

- Taxi to ship

*Note we will taxi, not cable car. I saw pictues of the cable cars & they are much too high for us!

So, if you would not mind receiving more questions, I have some, please.

1. Will there be taxis outside the Market?

2. Should we taxi between the Tropical Gardens & the basket ride, or are they located close to each other?

3. If we decide not to take the basket ride, are there taxis outside the Tropical Gardens to take us back to the ship?

4. Is the toboggan ride scary? I'm not interested in experiencing a feeling of going over the side of a cliff!

Lastly, the HoHo bus, just in case the weather is not good, &/or we decide not to venture to Monte -

1. What are the directions from the ship to the nearest bus stop & how far is it?

2. Do we just pay the bus driver?

Thank you for your generous help to all of us.

Hello twoatsee

We really appreciate your concern about all those who were victims of the floods. The Government has been very supportive towards them, in an atempt to help them overcome these difficult times. All kind of donations are being sent to ease the process, as many people were left with nothing.

Now, your visit. I think you have a good plan for your day on our island.

I'm always so pleased to help, so questions are never too many. Here are my answers to you:

1. You won't find taxis right there as you exit the market, but after you walk out through the main door, you turn to your left, walk straight for about 2 minuted and you'll find a taxi rank.

2. You won't need a taxi from the Tropical Gardens to the Toboggan ride, as it's a 5 minute walk.

3. There is no taxi rank outside the entrance to the Tropical Gardens, but taxis usually stop there. From this point to the ship, you can expect to pay 20 euros.

4. The Toboggan ride is not that scary, it's a downhill run alright, but it won't make you feel like you're falling down the cliff. After this ride you'll need transport to get back to the ship, but beware of the taxi drivers who stop there, because they over charge. From there to the ship, don't accept to pay more than 15 euros per taxi.

Now the HOHO bus:

1. To reach the HOHO bus stop, after you get to the end of the gangway, you turn to your right and you keep walking close to the waterfront, until you see a row of bus stops. Right at the beginning is the one for the HOHO. This walk may take you something like 20 to 30 minutes. There was a time when the HOHO bus used to stop right at the entrace to the pier, but I think they're not doing it anymore, as they were accused of doing unfair competition.

2. To be honest I'm not sure, but I supose you can just pay the driver.

You're welcome!

Edited by biaria

Biaria

Yes, the Dias hotel is so close to Old Town and just up the hill from the Market. The hotel has a "secret passage path" that wanders right down TO the Market.

Do you know of Quinta Elena? Mr Harris, from the UK owns it and I've visited a couple of times ~~~looking forward to returning.

I loveeee Maderia ~~and the Portuguese folks!

I view Funchal daily on the web cam ~~I see such progress! Hopefully the Island will be back to it's "norm" very soon!

Sendings hug's to all ~

Martita B.

I didn't know about Quinta Elena, so I googled it, now I know where it is. Looks very nice!

Good to know you view Funchal daily.

Hugs to you too.

Biaria

A thousand thank you's for all your expert help and suggestions!

Please know how much we all appreciate your taking your valued time to give 1st hand information.

Yes, I view many of the Madeira web cams daily ~~I can certainly see the difference in the Promanade Street (coming from the cruise piers)now, as in the past when I've Taxied to Old Town.

Thank you again!:p

Martita B.

We also enjoyed the Albergaria Dias hotel in Funchal...wonderful sea views, superb breakfast served beside the pool, and as Martita says, an easy walk to the Market or Pier. For a light dinner before your cruise, try the wonderful pizzeria 2 min down the "secret path, take a right and "mangare buono". Albergaria Dias, #1 hotel out of 101 rated by trip advisor in Funchal. See below for the last

few of the 107 excellent ratings this hotel gets

TripAdvisor Traveler Rating

Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands, Portugal

...Traveler Reviews of Hotel Albergaria Dias Funchal

“This Place Is Truly A Gem”

by Armarina on Feb 11, 2010 Even before we left home we were impressed as when we made the (direct) booking the hotel offered to arrange a taxi to pick us up at the airport which was a welcome service after a long journey.

“A Tranquility and Service Second to None”

by safetyrazor on Feb 4, 2010 My wife and I stayed in a sea view room. Senior Dias, his son, and the ladies and young man at reception were fantastically friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The room was immaculate,

by Taxidiotissa on Jan 24, 2010 This is one of the nicest hotels my husband and I have ever stayed at. The service is so personal and friendly. We travelled independently and took the Aerobus from the airport to the nearest stop

Hello Colonel(Ret.)Wes,

Excellent reviews, thanks for sharing.

Thank you Biaria for such specific info. Should be easy to find our way around now.

But.....the toboggan ride! We were all ready to take it when we saw a video showing walls along the sides of the street - that's a good thing!

But.....then the video continued & it showed cars sharing the same street as the toboggan! It looked very dangerous for the toboggan & occupants! Cars were weaving in & out to try & avoid the toboggan. Then the toboggan came to a crossroad, missing a car by seconds.

Was this video an accurate depiction?

Biaria

Daily I'm viewing on the web cams, a very "different" Promanade Street ~~yes, I've seen the mud, debris, etc. I've also noticed the Beer Garden (down from the Promanade) looks like it's still closed ~~~

This morning I see 3 cruise ships calling on Funchal. This is good good news ~ hopefully all will be back to normal very soon.

Martita B.

Hi Biaria,

Thanks for sharing the first-hand & delightful Funchal information. Look forward to our

next Funchal visit this year, Saturday 13 November and then Nov 30, 2011. r/wes

Martita,

Thank you so much for the websites. We will be visiting Funchal for the first time in April on Independence of the Seas and are so looking forward to it.

You will love Madeira! Be sure and set aside some time to visit the Old Market ~buy exotic flowers and take back to your ship! Also be sure while inside the Market visit the fish monger's market.... Un -believable! I always buy a few pieces of exotic/different fruits to share with friends and Staff at the Sky Bar ~~most have never seen such fruits!:confused:

I'll be visiting the end of March aboard the Seabourn Spirit ~my annual Spring TA Crossing.

Have a grand time in Funchal

Martita B.