Discos on luxury lines

maryella

Last summer (late June) our family of four took a 12 day voyage on Crystal Serenity to the Med. It was fantastic in all respects! Our 2 teen daughters ages 16 & 18 at the time said it was the best vacation of their lives. What they enjoyed the best was getting together with similar aged young adults at night at the Pulse Disco. We are looking to cruise again next summer and would love to do Crystal again however dates are not lining up with our schedule very well. Out of all the other high end luxury lines do any of them have a disco that is similar to Crystals so that they can take a break from mom and dad at night.

Most of the ships on the other luxury lines are much smaller than Crystal (except Regent whose Voyager and Mariner's 50,000 tons are like the Symphony.) Therefore there isn't usually enough space for a separate disco. Plus, as mentioned, there are very few teenagers on Seabourn, Silversea etc.

I've been on ships on all four luxury lines and none of them have a disco other than Crystal. To be honest, none of those lines tend to attract children of any age, not even during the summer months although there can be a few during summer.

TravelCat2, On most evenings they have Karaoke on the Crystal Ships held in these two lounges that a number of the adult passengers enjoy. On the Serenity the area looks more like one would think of a disco. On the Symphony more like a club and/or lounge.

Some children can be found on the ship in the summer months and on the holiday cruises as well. This will vary by itinerary. Other times of the year very few, if any.

Keith

Well thanks, I guess I will have to work out our schedule to fit a trip in with Crystal next summer. At the time of our trip last June there were about 30 young adults that liked to gather in Pulse at night for either karaoke or dancing. It was a great way to meet other friends. Then during the day all these teens/young adults would tour with their parents. I was impressed that their are still familes out their where the teens are not embarressed to be with their parents. A nice bunch!

Regent Voyager has a lounge that plays disco music. They also have karoake. If you picked one with free kids, you might encounter enough to make this worthwhile. If the kids meet, they can make their own good time and chat up the social staff. On our Christmas cruise last year, there were tons of teens, and they did tons of stuff. Teens are considered adults, so you may not see this as a stat anywhere. I would guess the summers in Alaska or Med might be your best bet on Regent. It is still smaller than Crystal.

There are definitely 18s to 25s on Regent and Silversea. Whether they hang out or not is another matter, and there will be more on certain sailings. Neither line is going to be hopping with party fun every sailing. Silversea has disco dancing, too, but sometimes 2 to 4 people of any age show.

And Regent Mariner has Stars Lounge which does kareoke/disco at night. But, generally there are not many teens onboard the ship. Here is a link for some Passages that another former passenger put online, you can go through and see the Stars Disco schedule on their cruise as an example.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570646705DdiIhA

Debbie

Interesting to learn that Regent occasionally does have some disco. Stars Lounge was deader than a doornail on our Mariner cruise last year as it was on our Navigator cruise in Feb/Mar 2009 (even though the shipd were full on both occasions). It is probably the children cruises that get all of the activity. We stay away from "kids sail free" as those cruises (particularly in Alaska) have upwards of 100 children on board per week.:eek:

Thanks dfb! If I hadnt checked back I wouldnt have known about the disco on the Mariner. Based on all the inital replies I got I had given up hope. On Crystal the only ones who used the disco were the teens. Every night of the cruise they met around 11 o clock. A few adults stopped by once in while to dance but the teens always outlasted them. I see on the Mariner daily bulletin that the disco got going later which is fine for the kids but probley why is was always empty on trips with no teens. Us parents were in bed by that time.

Every Regent ship I've been on has had some sort of disco. I just never make it up that late! But the main issue would be, would there be enough teenagers to make it fun. Depends on the time of year, but for the most part my guess would be "no". On our last cruise on the Paul Gauguin, one of our (new) friends' daughter was on board. Even at age around 30, she had trouble keeping La Palette open past midnight.

When we had our litte group on Navigator, there was dancing almost every night (ColonelWes and his wife, Ida were there) in the lounge at the back of the ship (where all the vibration is), and on Regent Voyager, I know the time I went at Halloween in the Med, it was hopping. They had fog and costumes and Thriller and Monster Mash and all that, and it was not so late at night that nobody came. The dance was first and then the karoake vs. the reverse. That was not a kids free, but it was a lot of fun. I know someone on CC was on the sailing after and said nothing was going on. I have been other times when it was almost midnight before anyone danced.

Archived