Southern Caribbean expert needed!

momsbusy

Hi, We are sailing the Victory to the Southern Carib, and I'm planning excursions. I'd love to hear what everyone's opinions are about the Best Beaches, the Best shopping, are there any "absolutely, do not miss this" things you recommend? Thanks!

Hi, We are sailing the Victory to the Southern Carib, and I'm planning excursions. I'd love to hear what everyone's opinions are about the Best Beaches, the Best shopping, are there any "absolutely, do not miss this" things you recommend? Thanks!

Hi mom

Go to the Port of Calls and look on each island. Much info there on

all the excursions and beaches. Enjoy your cruise. We sailed on the

Victory in March and it was our favorite cruise. Beautiful islands. Many

ports and lots of choices.

I went on it in March. It took a lot of "homework" and planning, but it made the time go by quicker. Just do the research and figure out what you want from each island. They are all beautiful places. Also get involved in your roll call. We had a great one and bounced a lot of ideas of one another. Plus you can always find a couple people to do tours with, etc. Check out my detailed review with a lot of pics in my signature. Have fun planning. I love that part of a cruise.

I also just posted a review that was long on excursion info.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997758&highlight=

As already recommended, you need to visit the various POC boards and do some reading there to get an idea of what are the "in" things to do at the various ports.

Visit the vendors' websites, too. Email them with specific questions. I would highly recommend every excursion operator I had on that cruise. They were all excellent.

I spent hours and hours doing my research before I started booking the excursions. I'm afraid there's no shortcuts to be had. What one person thinks is important to see/do on a given island may not appeal to the next person.

It just depends on what you want from this itinerary.

Since all the ports were new to me other than St Thomas, I felt it was important to tour the islands to get a feel for the history and culture. I like to get to "know" the islands when I first visit. Then, if I get to return, I've seen the highlights and have a much better idea of what I think is best to do at that particular POC.

I can't spend all that money and travel all that way to "just" go to a beach, but some people are fine with that. I feel compelled to do more. But 5 of the 6 excursions we took had beach stops. So, to me, we got the best of everything - islands tours with informative guides plus a little time for R&R on the beaches.

If at all possible, I also highly recommend going to San Juan a day (at least) early, and staying a couple of days after. Old San Juan is a fantastic place to visit, and the post-cruise days were great to just rest after the cruise.

I have been many times to the Southern Carib but I doubt it qualifies me as an expert ....HOWEVER ..here are my suggestions

Kontiki Beach in Curacao after a walk in town -great shopping fun floating market

Coki Beach in St Thomas -shopping in Havensight or Downtown

Tortola - Ferry to Virgin Gorda and the Baths

Antigua -Local bus to Darkwood Beach

St Lucia -Marigot beach

Grenada -shopping for spices

Roseau -whale watching

St Maarten -Shopping ...beach

San Juan -Rain forest

Aruba -local bus to beaches -walk in town

Enjoy

Scream! I can't wait. You all are so much help, thanks! Our ports are San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts.

We're staying in San Juan 3 nights prior to the cruise.

Scream! I can't wait. You all are so much help, thanks! Our ports are San Juan, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts.

We did this sailing this past March. It was a fabulous cruise. A couple of "must do" suggestions for you are:

Dominica - Reyno's Tours (island tour) This tour is wonderful and they will take the whole day to proudly show you their island. This was the least touristy port and hands down it was our favourite. I think the pride of the residents was the thing that really put it over the top for us.

Barbados - Silver Moon catamaran excursion. They offer 12 or 24 max people. We went on the 24 max one and there weren't 24 people on that catamaran. The boat was clean, the service extremely attentive and the crew weren't pushy at all.

St. Lucia - Serenity Tours (island tour) Again just a simply wonderful and full day. I can't recommend Serenity highly enough. We saw so much and the island is stunning. Tour operator and driver were extremely proud to show their island and we have an unforgettable day.

By the time we got to Antigua and St. Kitts we were happy to do beach days. It helped slow the cruise down a little and give us the much needed R&R that we needed by then.

Have a great time! You've booked a super cruise. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

How was the weather in March??

I have sailed Southern Caribbean a few times but always in June, July or August, Just hoping the water will be as nice.

The weather was absolutely perfect. The only day we had any rain was in St. Thomas and I was firmly stuck in a jewellry store so didn't care! LOL The rain cleared up throughout the day though and we still were able to do our tour and beach break.

We always sail mid March because dh is a teacher, and we've always had wonderful weather in the Caribbean.

We sail July 26th. For the tours, did you book directly with the operator, such as for Dominica and St. Lucia, or with Carnival?

We booked directly with the tour operators. Just google the tour operators that I mentioned and you'll easily find them. Private excursions are usually cheaper with less people in them and much more attentive.

I only book cruise excursions if my time is extremely tight or I can't get the tour I want independently and the cruise line is the only place to get it.

The weather was absolutely perfect. The only day we had any rain was in St. Thomas and I was firmly stuck in a jewellry store so didn't care! LOL The rain cleared up throughout the day though and we still were able to do our tour and beach break.

We always sail mid March because dh is a teacher, and we've always had wonderful weather in the Caribbean.

Thanks, glad to here that, of course i am always hoping there wil be no rain but atleast I won't have to worry about Hurricanes.

Wow, this looks like a stellar port line up. I am jealous!

In Dominica, I can't say enough wonderful things about Bumpiing Tours (yes, it's spelled correctly). They took us hiking to see incredible waterfalls, swimming in a natural gorge and soaking in natural hot springs. Simply incredible, great price, only four of us on the tour, wonderful tour guide and this is probably one of the most beautiful islands I have ever seen.

In Antigua, I also highly recommend Eli's Eco Tour. Amazing snorkling and hiking and cruising through the mangroves. It was excellent with an excellent lunch.

Those two tours are the best I have done on all my cruises. Enjoy!

Barbados - SilverMoon Catamaran

St. Lucia - zipline - booked with Frank (google St. Lucia Frank)

We did 3 days post cruise in San Juan. Where are you staying? We did the ATVs in the rainforest with Hacienda Carabali...lots of fun! We also did the Segway tour of Old San Juan.

Southern route was our favorite :D

Ok, I am so appreciative of all the ideas, keep them coming. For our San Juan stay, I'm still up in the air between the Hilton Caribe or the El Conquistador. My itinerary says we don't depart San Juan until 10pm. Does this mean we'll be able to board and then get back off to explore Old San Juan all day? Does the Silver Moon Catamaran on Barbados take you to swim with turtles?

Ok, I am so appreciative of all the ideas, keep them coming. For our San Juan stay, I'm still up in the air between the Hilton Caribe or the El Conquistador. My itinerary says we don't depart San Juan until 10pm. Does this mean we'll be able to board and then get back off to explore Old San Juan all day? Does the Silver Moon Catamaran on Barbados take you to swim with turtles?

Yes, you may board the ship, put your carryons in the cabin and leave the ship again.

When i go to San Juan, i always stay right in Old Town, there is so much to do and see and everything is in walking distance, we even walk from our hotel to the ship (no taxi needed) (if you are on a carnival ship)

Archived