Anytime dining

swdke

I prefer traditional early seating, but since I am at #281 on the waitlist, looks like it will be Anytime Dining for us. So, I have a few questions about the Anytime dining:

1. What time does the dining rooms open for Anytime dining?

2. Is there usually a line when the dining room opens?

3. If we want to get a table when the dining room opens, what time do we need to arrive/get in line?

4. We will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess, and I understand two dining rooms are dedicated Anytime seating, is one dining room preferred over another? Does one have a shorter wait time to get in than the other?

5. We are a group of three, and prefer a small table. What are odds of getting such a table, or what do we have to do, if anything to get a small table?

6. If we like our wait staff, is it possible to request the same wait staff each night, and how do we go about this?

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your help.

I had anytime dining this past month on the Sat for the first time for a cruise to Alaska because of the port stops. I can only say that it was very nice. On the Star the dining rooms were identical...Our group (4) requested by the window and usually we had what we asked for. One time we had to wait about 20 minutes. We were given beepers to let us know when a table was ready. We were not able to request waiters, and we could n ot make a reservation for a certain table....which we really liked....but if we waited we could have had it.....and 2 times out of the 6 days we got it so it wasn't bad....I enjoyed it and would do it again....I have always had 2nd seating....

I always do "anytime dining". On the Emerald this past spring, there was a line of approx 15 people waiting for the dining room to open - at 5:30. As a single passenger I had absolutely no trouble getting a small table for two - & it was right near a bank of windows. Perfect set up as far as I was concerned; and I never cared one way or another about getting the same waitstaff.

I now prefer anytime as we can make it fit our schedule, whether or not you're in port etc.

I've never had a long wait and I think the dining starts at 6'ish but not for sure as we normally go later, not earlier. I don't believe they take reservations except in the upcharge restaurants. Last time we had four and no issues with small tables so I'm sure a three would get a table for 4.

If we liked a waitstaff (I normally don't care), all you have to do is request something like "We prefer XXXX's area" and they normally accomodate.

Don't fret as I hope you will enjoy your experience like we have.

We had anytime dining on the CB in April and we loved it. My DH and I never want to have traditional dining again. We always went between 7-8PM. I noticed that the line to check in was longer at the Coral so we would go down 1 flight more to the Island every night. We were able to get tables for 2 without a wait 3 of the 6 nights that we ate at the dining room. One our second night, we went to the Coral and they gave us a pager saying there was a wait. Not even 2 minutes later, they paged us and said there was a table available downstairs and a waitress led us to the other dining room. I thought it was nice that they called down instead of just having us wait. The other 3 nights had a half hour wait or we could sit with others and not wait. We enjoy sitting with others so we chose that option and were seated right away. You can make reservations for the week and you can be seated in the same section with the same waiter every night. We did not want to make reservations because we felt it took away from the convinence of having anytime dining. The best part was that we did not have to stop what we were doing to rush to dinner. We could go whenever we wanted!

I prefer traditional early seating, but since I am at #281 on the waitlist, looks like it will be Anytime Dining for us. So, I have a few questions about the Anytime dining:

5:30.

Usually no, not that early. There might be a few in line when the doors open but its a big dining room.

3. If we want to get a table when the dining room opens, what time do we need to arrive/get in line?

At 5:30

4. We will be sailing on the Caribbean Princess, and I understand two dining rooms are dedicated Anytime seating, is one dining room preferred over another? Does one have a shorter wait time to get in than the other?

As Pia stated deck 5 is sometimes a shorter wait but check both.

5. We are a group of three, and prefer a small table. What are odds of getting such a table, or what do we have to do, if anything to get a small table?

There are lots of 4 top tables, if you want to sit by yourselves the it would probably be a 4 top table with one seat empty.

6. If we like our wait staff, is it possible to request the same wait staff each night, and how do we go about this?

Talk with one of the head waiters at the door and make your wishes known ASAP.

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate your help.

Hope this helps. :)

From what I see on the Crown, there are 3 "main" dining rooms. Are all three "anytime" dining also?

The Crown has two anytime diningrooms; one on five and one on six. The traditional diningroom is AFT on deck six, and is only accessible by aft elevator or walking down the stairs from seven to six.

I haven't sailed on Princess, (going for the first time in Jan. 2010!) but I did notice that if you look at the particular ship information on their website, there is a section entitled Personal Choice Dining, I believe, and it sets forth the times that all of the various dining facilities are open.

swdke

5:30 - 10pm

No line, just people waiting to be seated.

Whenever you plan on dining.

It's a hit or miss.

Usually the dining room fills up by 7pm

however, those who dined earlier are leaving, so their table will be available once cleaned.

Both are the same, since they changed the Palm into Traditional, there might be a shortage of tables of two.

Very good. There are quite a few tables for 4.

Yes, and they prefer you do. Just notify the Maitre D the time you would like.

Hope this helps.

I have the same questions. We are a party of six. What are the chances of making a reservation for each night of the cruise at 6:15?
Normally, you cannot make a reservation from between 6 - 8pm but like so many other things on Princess, that'll depend on the Maitre d' and his interpretation of the rules. You'd be able to make one for 6pm but probably not for 6:15pm.

FYI, I like the way HAL manages their "As You Wish Dining"; I think it's better than Princess. Everyone must check in with the Maitre d' and if you have Traditional dining, you must request permission to change to AYWD. You cannot go to AYWD until you receive confirmation that your dining preference has been approved with a letter delivered to your cabin. I would never do Anytime dining on Princess again but have done AYWD on HAL twice and have it for my cruise next April.

The only time we have had Anytime Dining was last year on the Star Princess. After a week of so we found a waitress and assistant we rally liked. I made reservation for 7:30 for the remaining 4 weeks. No problem.

Normally, you cannot make a reservation from between 6 - 8pm but like so many other things on Princess, that'll depend on the Maitre d' and his interpretation of the rules. You'd be able to make one for 6pm but probably not for 6:15pm.

FYI, I like the way HAL manages their "As You Wish Dining"; I think it's better than Princess. Everyone must check in with the Maitre d' and if you have Traditional dining, you must request permission to change to AYWD. You cannot go to AYWD until you receive confirmation that your dining preference has been approved with a letter delivered to your cabin. I would never do Anytime dining on Princess again but have done AYWD on HAL twice and have it for my cruise next April.

Does this mean that anyone who signed up for Traditional dining can change to 'anytime' dining whenever they want....but you have to get permission to move from Anytime dining to traditional dining?

something so simple is beginning to sound really confusing :-)

Does this mean that anyone who signed up for Traditional dining can change to 'anytime' dining whenever they want....but you have to get permission to move from Anytime dining to traditional dining? something so simple is beginning to sound really confusing :-)
The problem with Princess Anytime dining IMHO is that people from Traditional walk up to the Anytime dining room (even though they have a perfectly good table waiting empty for them) and ask to be seated, and they are. It's supposed to be that it's a one-way switch, i.e., you couldn't go back to Traditional but in reality, it's chaos because some Traditional diners go back and forth between the two and the Maitre d's allow it. :(

Does this mean that anyone who signed up for Traditional dining can change to 'anytime' dining whenever they want....but you have to get permission to move from Anytime dining to traditional dining?

something so simple is beginning to sound really confusing :-)

You are allowed to switch from Traitional to Anytime. But then you have Anytime the rest of the cruise. If yo have Traditional, you are not supposed to be able to just decide to go to Anytime some evening and then back to Traditional the next.

You are allowed to switch from Traitional to Anytime. But then you have Anytime the rest of the cruise. If yo have Traditional, you are not supposed to be able to just decide to go to Anytime some evening and then back to Traditional the next.

A friend of mine, who was on the same cruise as I, was placed on the Traditional waitlist and had no choice but to dine in Anytime.

One evening the line was long and she was perturbed over the fact she had to wait. :rolleyes:

She demanded to be placed in the Traditional dining room.

She got her way. :cool:

What is that saying squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I have the same questions. We are a party of six. What are the chances of making a reservation for each night of the cruise at 6:15?

That is about the time for early traditional dining. Have you asked to be in early traditional?

I have a question for anyone familiar with the small Princess ships like the Royal Princess. How does this anytime dining thing work? I have been reading on the general Princess posts about it but nothing about the Royal and others. One of the main reasons for choosing this cruise, we are doing the 35 days Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, was the traditional dining aspect. I guess I am more old school when it comes to cruising. I like being seated with different folks and getting to know them over the time spent at dinner. We like to have the same waiter so he/she gets to know you, etc. I do not like having lots of people moving about ie, folks on anytime dining coming and going while your eating. How do they work it on this small ship with one main dining room? Is there an area set aside? Can you switch back and forth from anytime to traditional? Sounds like a mess in the making.

I have a question for anyone familiar with the small Princess ships like the Royal Princess. How does this anytime dining thing work? I have been reading on the general Princess posts about it but nothing about the Royal and others. One of the main reasons for choosing this cruise, we are doing the 35 days Rome to Ft. Lauderdale, was the traditional dining aspect. I guess I am more old school when it comes to cruising. I like being seated with different folks and getting to know them over the time spent at dinner. We like to have the same waiter so he/she gets to know you, etc. I do not like having lots of people moving about ie, folks on anytime dining coming and going while your eating. How do they work it on this small ship with one main dining room? Is there an area set aside? Can you switch back and forth from anytime to traditional? Sounds like a mess in the making.

On the Royal Princess (andPacific and Tahitian), there is only one dining room and it is used for Traditional Dining. These three ships do not offer Anytime Dining.

If you all show up to anytime at 6:15 you should not have a problem getting a table for six right away. We ate with the passengers we met on our roll call on a few nights. We were a party of between six and nine on any given night. We never had to wait. Getting a table for 2 may be a wait. It is important that what ever time you decide to eat that you all show up together. They need to turn the tables. If only four show up they will not seat them until the other two are there. The reason is they will not start to take the order until the table is full. If they have to wait 15 or 20 minutes for the rest of the party it slows things down causing others to have to wait.

Archived