Recent cruisers to egypt

Kay240

There is so much conflicting information about the need for Egyptian Visas, I thought I would go right to the experts: YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

In particular, I am interested in CELEBRITY; I realize each cruise line could handle this differently. From what I read it appears that the ship collects our passports and takes care of the visas (just a stamp) prior to arrival in Alexandria. Is this correct? Have you found an additional charge for this, or is it included in our port charges and taxes?

Thank you all very much; I'm so tired of researching...:(

Karen

Visas are NOT part of your port charges and taxes. I can just tell you my experience with visas and Celebrity. They do not handle anything, and you are the one who must find out what's required with regards to visas or vaccinations. I called Celebrity a couple of times when I was on cruises that required visas, and each time the answer was, "we do not handle visas, it's up to each individual passenger to ascertain whether they need a visa or not". You might want to post this on Celebrity's board as my experiences with Celebrity and visas were not for Egypt.

We went on NCL and the ship overnighted in Alexandria.

When we boarded the ship in Barcelona they took our passports away. One day before we docked in Alexandria they gave our passports back (with Egyptian visa stamp included in them) and we took them ashore with us. When we returned to ship on 2nd day they took the passports away again and kept them for a few days.

We did not pay anything for the visas.

As for vaccinations we did them ourselves - they are the passengers' responsibility not the cruise-lines'. For Egypt we had Typhoid and Hep A shots.

When we boarded the ship in Barcelona they took our passports away. One day before we docked in Alexandria they gave our passports back (with Egyptian visa stamp included in them) and we took them ashore with us. When we returned to ship on 2nd day they took the passports away again and kept them for a few days.

As for vaccinations we did them ourselves - they are the passengers' responsibility not the cruise-lines'. For Egypt we had Typhoid and Hep A shots.

We also did the same cruise of the Jade and had the same thing happen with our passports (very organized and nice that we didn't have to carry them all the time) We also paid nothing for Visas (if I recall they stamped passports in Turkey and gave us a slip of paper "Visa" - we did not get shots for Egypt (But honestly it's not a bad idea):rolleyes:

My experience with the Egypt visa on Princess was as the previous 2 posters said. Princess took up all passports and returned them to us with the "quick stay" visa stamp. There was no cost. I believe all cruise lines handle the Egypt visa in this way, at least all I have heard from reading and researching CC for several years.

This is true whether you book the ship's shore excursion or do a private tour. It is NOT the same as the situation in Russia, for example.

To confirm that Celebrity handles this the same way, I'd post your question on the Celebrity board.

The captain on NCL Jade explained that the Egyptian Immigration staff fly to Turkeyand spend the sea day stamping the passports. You do not have to pay for a visa this way. Please think about injections before going, as this is not a country with European standards. Also check with your insurance-DH is diabetic 2, and had £45 added when he said "European cruise with Egypt". We know this can cause trouble, as we saw it happen to a lady from the US who had said European Cruise" to her insurers, and was taken ill after Egypt. We are already checking jabs with our practice nurse for next Feb in the Red Sea.-jocap.

Our experience has been that we didn't not need to obtain visas unless we were staying in certain countries after the cruise. Eygpt and Turkey are two that require visas. We did not need to get visas for these countries when we were only in port for one day. The cruise line took care of this. However, when our cruise ended in Istanbul and we chose to stay in country on our own, we did need to purchase a visa. We live just outside of Washington DC and went directly to the Turkish Embassy. There was a cost, but I just remember that it wasn't very much. They did take our passports and keep them while they processed the visas, which took about a week.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the info...answer by question exactly as I will be on the 03/07/10 NCL Jade cruise

My experience with the Egypt visa on Princess was as the previous 2 posters said. Princess took up all passports and returned them to us with the "quick stay" visa stamp. There was no cost. I believe all cruise lines handle the Egypt visa in this way, at least all I have heard from reading and researching CC for several years.

This is true whether you book the ship's shore excursion or do a private tour. It is NOT the same as the situation in Russia, for example.

To confirm that Celebrity handles this the same way, I'd post your question on the Celebrity board.

This was still the way things were handled last month on Princess...no need to arrange a visa in advance or on your own, and no charge for the service, even if you are not on a cruise line excursion.

We cruised on Celebrity Equninox in October 09.

Non the cruise lines are very helpful because they put the responsiblity on the passenger to know and get what is needed.

They do this partly because things can change.

I checked with the Egyptain and Turkish Embassy in the US over the web to confirm that for day trip off the ship no visa was needed. They responded in writing and I printed that took the info with just in case.

Archived