6 hrs in Ketchikan -- What to do?

Sugar&Buddy

We only have 6 hrs in Ketchikan and looking to maximize the short time. We had booked bear viewing, however, that is a four hour tour leaving no time to walk city. Any ideas? We will not have a car.

Totem Bights sounds interesting. Any thoughts?

we did the duck tour, got to see water things and city things (the highlights). when we got off we wandered creekstreet and then hit the regular tourist places on the way back to the ship. we felt rushed, but we had a wonderful sunshiny day and felt like we saw Ketchikan. this time we have a little longer because we don't tender, so we are doing a rain forest and eagle sanctuary tour in the morning and creek street immediately after. we love Ketchikan!

have a great trip!

Beverly

Creek Street and the funicular. Totems if you are interested.

Some pictures here of the first two + some snorkeling:

Page2 - Mountain Point Snorkel, Some Ketchikan on foot

Page3 - Some Ketchikan on foot, Creek Street, Cape Fox Hill Funicular, Married Man's Trail,

Page4 - Married Man's Trail, Creek Street, Some Ketchikan on foot

We went sea kayaking and saw bears and bald eagles, walked Creek street and the shops. Don't bother going to the Saxman Village. We paid $13 for a cab ride, $3 each to see the park, stayed 10 minutes and took the city bus back to town for free. Not much to see there imho.

Do the Bering Sea Deadliest Crab tour - everyone raves about it. I can't wait to try it out. I am bummed that it is smack dab in the middle of our limited day at Ketchikan.

Guess they have am & pm shows, but also looked at their website, somedays they actually have 3. Think they set up so they can serve all the various times ship is in port. We're going to the 1:30pm show, think there's a 4pm show somedays. Go on their website, to "book a tour", and past the cruiselines links they have a drop down menu which lists all the tours they do each day. Price is about the same as we paid via Cruiseline

We took a cab tour (Ketchikan cabs for $70/hr) and DAve took us to both Totem bight and Potlatch Park. Then he drove us to some good scenic view areas where we got real good shots of eagles. He is very informative and knows a lot about the area. We had our 18month old granddaughter with us and he provided a car seat for her. While we did this, our kids went ziplining and even though it rained a little, they loved every bit of it.

We saw a black bear when we were touring with Dave - right after our ship's naturalist said there was "no way" we would see bears in late May. I thought the taxi tour was a great way to spend a few hours!

Has anyone heard anything about the Neet's Bay Bear Watch?? In the beginning the thought of seeing bears catch salmon was so exciting but this Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour is making me wonder if it might be better. Help!

we did the duck tour, got to see water things and city things (the highlights). when we got off we wandered creekstreet and then hit the regular tourist places on the way back to the ship. we felt rushed, but we had a wonderful sunshiny day and felt like we saw Ketchikan. this time we have a little longer because we don't tender, so we are doing a rain forest and eagle sanctuary tour in the morning and creek street immediately after. we love Ketchikan!

have a great trip!

Beverly

How was the duck tour? Our kids are 15 and 11 and we're considering doing that.

Has anyone heard anything about the Neet's Bay Bear Watch?? In the beginning the thought of seeing bears catch salmon was so exciting but this Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour is making me wonder if it might be better. Help!

Yes, I have been to Neets twice. In your timeframe, however, I would look at Traitor's Cove.

Your pictures are great. I finally have a vision of Ketchikan. Thank you so much for sharing.

Page3 - Some Ketchikan on foot, Creek Street, Cape Fox Hill Funicular, Married Man's Trail,

Would you change your mind on the time frame if we were doing a float plane in to see it? Or is this the only way to do it? I trust your opinion very much. Your 'Rep' is well known on here.

I only recommend the float plane. This is a most always ship contracted excursion and Pro Mech, usually will not direct book, although I did get direct walk up space once, at a discount. Rode on the same plane as ship tour passengers. Although this is a good opportunity to see bears, with the ship contracts, it's more tightly scheduled. If you consider an independent to Traitor's you will most likely have a more flexable timeframe and longer viewing opportunity.

My cruise is in 2 weeks, and in ketchikan we have booked the coastal wildlife tour, which is the earlier season bear siting tour. the companies sight said they see bear 70% of the trips. this is a small boat trip, and has been wiat list only for 3 months! luckly i booked it very very early! if you are considering a bear viewing trip reserve early

My cruise is in 2 weeks, and in ketchikan we have booked the coastal wildlife tour, which is the earlier season bear siting tour. the companies sight said they see bear 70% of the trips. this is a small boat trip, and has been wiat list only for 3 months! luckly i booked it very very early! if you are considering a bear viewing trip reserve early

Hi, which company did you book with for the bear viewing trip? We are going in September and not sure if it's still bear season. Thanks!

Hi, which company did you book with for the bear viewing trip? We are going in September and not sure if it's still bear season. Thanks!

I booked through princess, the company that princess contracts with is http://www.snowscove.com/

They have two different bear trips, one for the first half of the season, which is the coastal wildlife cruise, and one for the second half of the season, Neets Bay. they contract with a couple other cruiselines also

I booked through princess, the company that princess contracts with is http://www.snowscove.com/

They have two different bear trips, one for the first half of the season, which is the coastal wildlife cruise, and one for the second half of the season, Neets Bay. they contract with a couple other cruiselines also

Although you claim reports of good chances of sightings- in the past this hasn't been so. And especially Neets Bay, via boat is a big disadvantage compared to the fly ins and being able to walk in the hatchery.

Hello

I was very interested in your snorkeling experience .I would love to try it but AM A BIG BIG CHICKEN !!.I hate being cold but I love to snorkel

How cold is it really ?...I find the Carib cold in winter

How far out do you go ?

How deep ?

What did you see ?

How long do you stay in ?

What do you wear under the wet suit ?How comfortable is a wet suit?

Was it worth while as an experience

Who did you go with and how much

How could I contact them

What part is actually in contact with the water ...does it feel frozen?

I will follow your advice so please tell all ...I will also bring my prescription mask and own snorkel

PS

I love your pictorial review I put it in favorites to take notes

We will be in Alaska in July I appreciate all the help

Michele

How does a wet suit feel heavy and tight or ok

Although you claim reports of good chances of sightings- in the past this hasn't been so. And especially Neets Bay, via boat is a big disadvantage compared to the fly ins and being able to walk in the hatchery.

BQ- big fan of your postings! this will be my first cruise and i'm very excited! the website for the particular excursion I am going on states that they have a 70% bear sighting rate, which for an animal as unpredictable as a bear, sounds decent. i know that I very well may not see a bear, I will still be more than happy with whatever wildlife i do see and will keep my fingers crossed!!

BQ- big fan of your postings! this will be my first cruise and i'm very excited! the website for the particular excursion I am going on states that they have a 70% bear sighting rate, which for an animal as unpredictable as a bear, sounds decent. i know that I very well may not see a bear, I will still be more than happy with whatever wildlife i do see and will keep my fingers crossed!!

sswbeanie: I am very interested in your return report on this excursion. We have booked with Princess for the Neet's Bay. I do realize it is opposite ends of the season but still want to know. We go in early Sept.

Archived