ATM daily limit

Several posts have said, just get your Euro's from an ATM, but if we do a tour at 500 euro, are foreign ATM's going to have a daily withdrawl limit:o? I know my card will not.

Several posts have said, just get your Euro's from an ATM, but if we do a tour at 500 euro, are foreign ATM's going to have a daily withdrawl limit:o? I know my card will not.

This will likely vary from place to place. I withdrew €500. in one pass at the airport in Amsterdam with no problems last fall.

As an alternate, find more than one ATM...this is not difficult. We were in train stations that had ATM's from more than one bank.

In such a case the only limiting factor would be your determination and any limit that your own bank may have, which isn't an issue in your case.

Finally, any tour operator will likely be able to help you solve this problem by pointing you to several ATMs. :)

Or as posted in a different thread..... use a different card.

It was suggested that the wife could use hers for the limit (alot are around 300 euros) and then the hubby could use his for same amount......

We just found it easier to buy our euros onboard the ship. We took cash and travelers checks and used those when we HAD to have cash euros. We used our credit cards for as many things as possible....ie: restaurants, shopping etc.... and I paid for private tours ahead if possible too. Some people don't like to do that but as long as you have the cancellation policy printed out from the tour company you can contest with your credit card company if you have to cancel......

You have to check with individual banks because my bank only allows a limit of $500 American dollars daily so whatever the exchange rate is for that particular day I have to make sure that the Euros equals to or less than $500 dollars daily.

I think this is a personal limit as stated in your credit card agreement. The ATM in foreign country might also have limit but if your personal limit is OK can move to another machine. Ask your bank -- they can sometimes raise the limit for a few weeks of travel. Friends were talking about their first European trip in the late 1970's and arranging for money through an American Express account (only credit card and there were fees in addition to having to go to the AE office)or setting up a letter of credit through a bank then going to foreign bank and talking to bank official. Could take alot of time! Where would we be as travelers if we did not have credit cards? Plastic has really improved traveling. I can VISA in all kinds of languages:D

Let me first suggest that you contact your ATM card company. I would verify that your card does not have a limit and I would verify with them about using multiple ATMs. Be sure that when you do travel that you notify the card company of the travel dates and countries being visited. Same for any and all credit card companies.

Keith

Unfortunately the individual ATM machine limit will vary from machine to machine. For instance I was able to get 500 euros from a machine in Venice, but in Mykonos was only able to get 300 (but at that Mykonos machine I immediately stuck my card in and was able to get another 200).

We were told and found it to be correct that ATM's in Italy would only give out 250 E at a time, regardless of your limit from your bank. But as posted above, you can then use another card and get out another 250 E.

Just FYI ! :)

As you can see the limits and reality/experience can vary widely. My suggestion would be if you need a large sum more then a few hundred euros daily that you just bring it with you. Or that between what you bring and assuming you get a couple hundred at the airport you are covered.

As prevelant as ATMs are it is a hassle if you are on private tour to stop and look to get must have $ to pay the driver. You really want to maximize the limited time in port to having fun. In some ports ATMs seemed everywhere I look, and in some ports it would have required some searching. I personaly would swallow the $20-100 delta to just exchange what you need prior to leave and be worry free. I did so but still found mself buring them Euros much faster then I need and may withdraw in Athens, Rome, Marsailles, and Barcelona, much more then I thought :eek:

Archived