Outrageous Oceania Port fees on TA

zoncom

It all depends on where the port is. Port fees at a popular Carib. island where they have put in a big new facility-- they charge alot because their economy can not pay for the infrastructure. We do this in America also but we call them airport fees. Charge the visitor -- they don't vote in the local elections. I believe that the reason port fees are factored out and stated alone is that these fees are not negotiable by the cruise line and are closer to taxes or head fee. Sometimes vary also with what services the ship needs. I know NCL out of Baltimore does not charge for a 6 month old baby but you do have to pay the port fees and taxes for the child!

Why are port charges on Regatta 11/14/09 Transatlantic $364 for 3 ports??
It all depends on where the port is.

Thought I'd jump in here. The ports are Tangier, Funchal and Hamilton. Government fees & taxes are $26/guest/diem ($364) for the Nov/09 sailing but only $8/guest/diem ($112) for an identical sailing next year in Nov/10. Go figure.:confused::confused:

• 1 month later...

I was just looking to book the TA this Fall until I saw the port taxes. They defy explanation and, I suspect, are a hidden profit center for the line.

I know bermuda is expensive but the port tax is $10 a passenger per day so that doesn't explain it.

I was just looking to book the TA this Fall until I saw the port taxes. They defy explanation and, I suspect, are a hidden profit center for the line.

I know bermuda is expensive but the port tax is $10 a passenger per day so that doesn't explain it.

Since the port fee's change dependant on when and where the vessel is received, as well as how many passengers it carries, I wonder how you came up with the $10 figure.

Berthing a ship of over thirty thousand tons will require the services of at least a ten longshoremen, so, unless Bermuda has taken to subsidizing cruise ships, it seems doubtful that your figure can be correct.

What many people don't realize is that port charges are assessed per ship and not per passenger. The per passenger share will therefore always be larger on an Oceania ship

If you dont care to cruise with the masses, you cannot expect to pay mass market prices and fees. You must consider the economy of scale.

Of course, if the port taxes can make the difference between your being able to afford the cruise or not, perhaps it is best that you look elsewhere.

Since the port fee's change dependant on when and where the vessel is received, as well as how many passengers it carries, I wonder how you came up with the $10 figure.

Berthing a ship of over thirty thousand tons will require the services of at least a ten longshoremen, so, unless Bermuda has taken to subsidizing cruise ships, it seems doubtful that your figure can be correct.

What many people don't realize is that port charges are assessed per ship and not per passenger. The per passenger share will therefore always be larger on an Oceania ship

If you dont care to cruise with the masses, you cannot expect to pay mass market prices and fees. You must consider the economy of scale.

Of course, if the port taxes can make the difference between your being able to afford the cruise or not, perhaps it is best that you look elsewhere.

Has nothing to do with what most of us can or can not afford. No one wants to get riped off, and this seems to be a rip off. :mad:

Where do you find the port tax?

I am sure they must include other things in the port fees EG:pilot charges, electrical connection, longshoreman, charges by the length of the ship

The cruise lines would add all the charges then divide by the # of people on board not just passengers

Has nothing to do with what most of us can or can not afford. No one wants to get riped off, and this seems to be a rip off.

It's just this type of speculation which I was trying to avoid when I questioned the $10 Bermuda Port Charge, which is ludicrously low, by the way.

As I mentioned before, Port charges will depend upon what kind of "portage" a vessel will need.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the more services that the ship needs, the higher the port charges will be. The choice berths provide the ship with access to the most services, and those berths cost the most money to use.

It makes sense, doesnt it, that before and/or after an ocean crossing, the ship will need provisions, fuel, water and access to maintenance facilities?

Well, not every berth can provide access to all those facilities, so Oceania must opt for the more expensive location, hence, the increased cost.

Some ports, Bermuda and Funchal are two of them, use their port tax as a sort of tariff, to keep the port more exclusive, or, to avoid overcrowding by cruise passengers (who are seen as less desireable tourists because they tend to sleep and eat on the ship).

Both of these ports have to import almost everything. It is a great strain on their infrastructure to supply a cruise ship. They will do it, but they won't do it cheaply.

Other ports, which are less centrally located, are vying for passengers, and will port the vessel at less than cost to bring in business. As in real estate, however, location is everything and the two situations cannot be compared.

And when all is said and done, the share of port charges for an Oceania passenger cannot be better than 1/684th, while other ships may be dividing their port charges into the thousands of passengers on board.

The cruise lines would add all the charges then divide by the # of people on board not just passengers

Sorry Lyn, the crew does not pay port charges.

Where do you find the port tax?

I am sure they must include other things in the port fees EG:pilot charges,

sorry I did not mean that face in there ...got to check my replies before moving on

Here’s what I’ve noticed. For many of its ‘09 European sailings, Oceania is charging $26 per person per day in government fees & taxes, regardless of how many ports are visited or where they are. A 14-day Transatlantic with only 3 ports costs the same in fees & taxes as a 14-nite Mediterranean or Baltic cruise with 12 ports!

By charging a flat rate per diem, you can end up with the curious situation that the OP cited.

Next year, Oceania will charge $8 per person per day in government fees & taxes. The 14-day Transatlantic that costs $364 pp in fees & taxes in Nov/09 will cost only $112 pp in Nov/10. Identical ports, same length of call, same time of year. My DH called Oceania to enquire about this discrepancy & was informed that all ports world-wide will reduce their fees in 2010 & Oceania will pass the savings on. Unbelievably this info came from a Reservations Supervisor!

I've not seen government fees & taxes calculated on a per diem basis before & I have no idea if Oceania wins, loses or draws by doing it this way. But our invoice is all-encompassing: Government fees, taxes, security & handling charges.

Next year, Oceania will charge $8 per person per day in government fees & taxes. The 14-day Transatlantic that costs $364 pp in fees & taxes in Nov/09 will cost only $112 pp in Nov/10.

Not sure where this came from; according to published information, for the 2010 Europe season (which includes the November, 2010 transAtlantic), all government fees and taxes (except air fare taxes and fees) will be included in the cruise fare.

My invoice for April 4, 2010, which is the beginning of the Europe season for Regatta and includes 10 ports, shows no fees.

The invoice for the March 21, 2010 transAtlantic, which is the end of the previous season and is thus not included in the new policy, shows $112 per person and lists only government fees and taxes. The ports for that cruise are Funchal, Casablanca and Malaga.

My invoice for April 4, 2010, which is the beginning of the Europe season for Regatta and includes 10 ports, shows no fees.

Don

You are right there are no fees listed for both our 2010 cruises.

I think the person got the $8. charge the bottom of the fare box stating it is included.

Lyn

Not sure where this came from; according to published information, for the 2010 Europe season (which includes the November, 2010 transAtlantic), all government fees and taxes (except air fare taxes and fees) will be included in the cruise fare.
Yes indeed, the government fees & taxes ARE included in the fares going forward in 2010. That's not at issue.

Oceania appears to assess government fees & taxes on a per diem basis, independent of actual ports. For 2010, they are calculated at a flat rate of $8 per person per day, according to Oceania brochures & website. At least in my experience, assessing these charges on a per diem is unique. Whether or not Oceania decides to absorb them into their fares is a separate marketing decision.

The invoice for the March 21, 2010 transAtlantic, which is the end of the previous season and is thus not included in the new policy, shows $112 per person and lists only government fees and taxes. The ports for that cruise are Funchal, Casablanca and Malaga.

My April 3, 2010 TA shows "Port Charges" of $399.00pp and "Government Fees" of $120.00pp for a total stateroom "fee" of $1,038.00 ... it's 15 days ... Rio to Barcelona.

My April 3, 2010 TA shows "Port Charges" of $399.00pp and "Government Fees" of $120.00pp for a total stateroom "fee" of $1,038.00 ... it's 15 days ... Rio to Barcelona.

Read Post # 12 more carefully.

The port charges dont start to be included until the 2010 European Season which startes in April 2010.

Jim is correct -- the Insignia 2010 Europe season starts when Insignia arrives in Barcelona from Rio. Your TA is part of the previous Winter season. The next cruise after yours will include the government fees.

I'm really surprised they listed "Port Charges" on your invoice. Since 1996, when an action was taken against cruise lines for inflating the port fees, cruise lines have avoided the use of the term "Port" in association with any of the fees.

If they used it, it must be because there is a specific port charge of that amount they can document.

They now use other euphemisms for the additional fees, such as the aforementioned "Government Fees, Taxes, Security and Handling". Is your copy of the invoice the one issued by Oceania or by your travel agent?

I just did a dummy booking for that cruise, and the Gvt fees and taxes were $120 -- no mention of a port charge. If it were me, I would check into it further!

Archived