Which Cruise Line Has Better Maintained Quality in Faltering Economy: HAL or X?

Chelly

During the faltering economy, I am wondering which cruise line has better maintained its standards? HAL or Celebrity?

This questioned is prompted by my following HAL's forums almost daily for well over a year (even tho I've only been a CC member since last Aug.)

Over a year ago, it seemed most of the HAL forum postings were about the refinement and high quality of HAL cruises. Recently, I'm reading many more complaints about overall quality. Admittedly, I have not followed Celebrity as closely as HAL, so am wondering if members who are both HAL and Celebrity fans can offer input. Also posted on HAL forum. Not alot of response there.Thanks!

C.

Hi:) I have only sailed HAL once so I can't give a fair comparison.

I continue to sail with Celebrity because I love the product.

And once you start asking about that.....well it might be better

that nobody is replying;):eek:sometimes things can get out

of hand:rolleyes:

Or the people who sail Celebrity love Celebrity:D and aren't

interested in HAL?

I can't speak for HAL as I've never sailed on them. However, there are people that complain on there too--though mostly they compare it to the "old" days when Chandis owned the line.

I will say this, lately, there seem to be a lot of changes to improve things--the latest is the perks for Elite members of Captain's Club. There have also been new menus introduced which are getting good reviews.

I personally LOVE X. In this faltering economy they have upgraded the menues and of course the customer service. It is very visible the improvements made so I will continue to stay with them . I am getting real value and have another 64 days booked with them yet this year.

During the faltering economy, I am wondering which cruise line has better maintained its standards? HAL or Celebrity?

This questioned is prompted by my following HAL's forums almost daily for well over a year (even tho I've only been a CC member since last Aug.)

Over a year ago, it seemed most of the HAL forum postings were about the refinement and high quality of HAL cruises. Recently, I'm reading many more complaints about overall quality. Admittedly, I have not followed Celebrity as closely as HAL, so am wondering if members who are both HAL and Celebrity fans can offer input. Also posted on HAL forum. Not alot of response there.Thanks!

C.

Hello we were just on a TA cruise in April on Celebrity. I must say culinary wise they pulled out all the stops. Choice of foods, guest chef, and cooking demonstations. I do feel that having sailed both HAL and X that it depends on the itinterary. It seems that the more less traveled or exotic cruises (longer as well) get more attention to the overall experience. We were on HAL last May Montreal to Boston and back and the fish choices were awesome. We also spoke to the head chef and they do try to excel with customer input. So that said happy sailings.

take care

Claudette

Not to be rude or anything, but I think the celebrity fans don't really care about HAL or how they compare because they are rather similar. But of course celebrity is better in all regards.:D:);)

No fighting please.

I have sailed both lines in the past. This spring we were on a 20 night Panama Canal on HAL; this fall we are doing a Pacific coastal on Celebrity. So I can compare better after that cruise. On HAL, the cut backs were increased number of cabins for room stewards and in the quality of speakers and some entertainment. For instance, only two different production shows on a 20 night cruise and the speaker on the canal had lived in Panama 25 years ago while in the armed services. For cabin service, it meant sometimes our cabin was attended to in mid afternoon. The price on HAL was not discounted due to the economy. The price on Celebrity is a discounted one. So if they maintain quality, they are doing better than HAL.

We began our cruising passion with HAL but the more we sailed with Celebrity, the more I liked the X product. We sailed on Westerdam last November and were very impressed with the food, underwhelmed with the service and live entertainment. It's not that we dislike HAL (over a dozen cruises) but Celebrity officers and staff always (well, most of them) are friendly and more willing to please. Despite the fares that Celebrity has been forced to lower to fill the ships, we are still very happy with the overall product. I've also noticed a firming up of many prices, especially on the newest ships. I believe Celebrity is weathering the storm nicely. With the new X loyalty program about to be announced, HAL's lack of any perks will raise a few eyebrows with die hard HAL fans.

OP here. I get the sense that HAL's cutbacks have affected the cruise experience so negatively that loyal fans are seriously disappointed in the direction HAL is taking. Could be wrong, but Celebity cruisers seem to be more contect.

Anyhow, hopefully I'll be able to answer my my own question. I'm sailing HAL in Oct and plan to try Celebrity again in April.

C.

Archived