Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

I think you may have missed this question as it was posted before some you've already answered. Perhaps you're just getting to it, but I just wanted to make sure polson got an answer... :)

Thanks Bethwte, I did forget about this question...

Polson, Chief Concierge seems like a really good position on the ship. The pay is good and you get your own room. (or you did on Celebrity.) I've heard good comments about this position

Don't really know the specifics about it, just knew the people in that job seemed happy and never complained about it.

:confused: Cruiseemployee. You asked one time what cruisers might like as 'entertainment'. How about a 'study of the stars'. Most of us come from urban areas, with haze or smog, and poor visibility. On cruise ships on clear nights there is so much more to see in the sky, from a dark area on a top deck. My wife and I would lie flat [no smart remarks], and just look at the stars. One problem was that being at different latitudes it was difficult at times to know just what we were looking at. How about short films or slide shows of the 'local night sky'?

Happy New Year to all, and Cruiseemployee your still doing a great job! Many thanks :) john taylor.

Send your mail to be forwarded through the main office, using the following format, standard to Celebrity crew mail. Next time, ask the crew member for one of their mailing labels.

To: PERSON'S NAME

Position: THEIR SHIPBOARD JOB

SHIP NAME

P.O. Box 019158

Miami, Florida 33101-0158

Hope that helps.

On my ship address list that's the address for the Summit . . . Infinity is 019073 . . . every ship has a unique one. The 1050 RC Way address ahead in this thread is probably a better way and will also get to the ship as long as you make sure the name/department/position AND the name of the ship is on the envelope. If it's mis-labled, it can take 2-3 months and even more to reach the person. And if that crew member has gone home or to another ship, may take even longer. Like Christmas cards in July. That address works for both X and RCCL.

And just for further interest ('cause that's what this thread is all about)

Lots of crew members will get PO boxes or Mailboxes Etc. box in the ports they frequent - Ft Lauderdale/Miami, or St Thomas, or have the seaman's centers in the port that hold there mail there, especially if it's something important or expensive. And if you're working different ships, but are out of the same turnaround port, your address is at least consistent for bills, magazine subscriptions, correspondence, etc.

Thats why I'm not surprised cruiseemployee didn't know the ship address - I change ships every 2 months or so and it's not worth it. I have everything come to my land home address and someone goes through once a month and alerts me via email or phone if anything is 'urgent'.

oops, did I just give way TMI?

:confused: Cruiseemployee. You asked one time what cruisers might like as 'entertainment'. How about a 'study of the stars'. Most of us come from urban areas, with haze or smog, and poor visibility. On cruise ships on clear nights there is so much more to see in the sky, from a dark area on a top deck. My wife and I would lie flat [no smart remarks], and just look at the stars. One problem was that being at different latitudes it was difficult at times to know just what we were looking at. How about short films or slide shows of the 'local night sky'?

I second this...and while I cruise on RCCL for the most part I think this is a great idea for any ship's activity. Certain parts of the ship are ideal for stargazing and my DH and I have spent many a night counting shooting stars. To have a nighttime introduction to some of the big constellations would be interesting for a lot of people.

On this note, maybe Celebrity has this already but it would also be great to have more seminars on the "science" of cruising...I am not talking about a college level lecture, but maybe one of the engineers can give a talk about the way the ship works, her engines, navigation, etc. Maybe questions about how the ship is run or a little about ship life. Already the questions and answers you've given have brought a whole new dimension to the cruising experience, and perhaps being more "in touch" with the cruising life attaches us even more.

I know there are sometimes walking tours of some of the ship areas for VIPs but it would be great to learn more about our little (or not so little) piece of floating paradise.

If this is already done on Celebrity then of course that's great...but maybe the powers that be at Royal Caribbean can take note of this as well :)

Cheers,

Esther

(waiting to get to C&A Platinum before trying Celebrity!)

john taylor.

Now that would be something interesting! I remember when I was on my second cruise, there was a huge number of shooting stars. Didn't know what it was back in 1975, but now I know it as the Leonid meteor showers which occur in August. Something like that would be interesting for us astronomy buffs. Cruisee, has there ever been any talk about that as something for passengers to do? :confused:

Anita

Re Astronomy.

Several years ago the Galaxy had an astronomer on board. He brought a sun telescope with him and pax were able to veiw sunspots. He also brought a portable planitarium with him to do programs for the children. It was set up on the theathers stage. He planed to do one show for aldults but he did several due to the demand.

We all met to do an evenings stargazing to veiw a meteor shower---he gave charts out and everything. We met on an upper forward deck and the captain had the lights out. But that night was too cloudy.

I spoke to him several times and he told me a number of astronormers cruised with the ship that summer.

It was a great program.

He probably just got a free vacation for his family and himself.

I am sure others have experinced this and simular programs. Letters directly to Celebraty will entice them to offer more of these types of learning/entertaining happenings.

Larry

I don't recall seeing any really dark places on deck on any of my cruises. I remember the bow to stern string of lights overheard. I wonder if safety and personal security could be the reason.

This was on the 'Wind' [of all ships], one area was darkened, just for this purpose, but alas, no information was ever given. :) john taylor

Since this was brought up again, just wanted to say that the card I sent on Dec 13th to the address I posted before got to my g/f in Puerto Rico today.

Didn't take that long seeing as how it was going from Grenada to Miami and then being forwarded to the ship in San Juan. Honestly expected it to take more than a month.

Anyway, just confirming that that address works.

Plus, I scored major points for myself since she wasn't expecting it and well...that matters most of all :D

On my ship address list that's the address for the Summit . . . Infinity is 019073 . . . every ship has a unique one.
Rats. Must have recalled that one from the most recent Summit cruise instead of the one just before on the Infinity. Am getting to where I can no longer 100% trust what was once a great memory for numbers.

I'm looking around for the list I'd been making for myself and can't figure out what I've done with it. Thought it got stuck into one of the "cruise folders", but no dice. Do you have the full list available?

for the motion to adopt the rule that cruise lines be required to have onboard astronomers.

My first cruise was on the old SS Universe Explorer. Onboard, as one of the many lecturers throughout the cruise, was Dr. Anthony Aveni, one of the founders of the field of archaeoastronomy. He accompanied us on our tour of Tikal and made it more understandable; he provided more insight into the Maya culture than any tour guide could. And, additonally, he provided lectures to everyone onboard, taught a multi-day class for us "fanatics", and had a couple of stargazing events on the upperdeck (he showed me where Thuban was, even tho you can't see it now).

So, in the alternative, please let it be the resolution of this body that many cruise passengers are interested in more than just the mindless drinking, eating and entertainment currently being offered onboard. (Altho, I do enjoy those too)

for the motion to adopt the rule that cruise lines be required to have onboard astronomers.

My first cruise was on the old SS Universe Explorer. Onboard, as one of the many lecturers throughout the cruise, was Dr. Anthony Aveni, one of the founders of the field of archaeoastronomy. He accompanied us on our tour of Tikal and made it more understandable; he provided more insight into the Maya culture than any tour guide could. And, additonally, he provided lectures to everyone onboard, taught a multi-day class for us "fanatics", and had a couple of stargazing events on the upperdeck (he showed me where Thuban was, even tho you can't see it now).

So, in the alternative, please let it be the resolution of this body that many cruise passengers are interested in more than just the mindless drinking, eating and entertainment currently being offered onboard. (Altho, I do enjoy those too)

I'll second the above motion. john taylor

that many cruise passengers are interested in more than just the mindless drinking, eating and entertainment currently being offered onboard

There's nothing mindless about my drinking, eating and entertainment... I apply most of my waking hours looking for more ways to get onboard....

"A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry."

Ecclesiastes 8:15

Hi again, Cruiseemployee ....

A few more questions for whenever you've got some spare time:

-- How would you rate the quality of onboard medical care (for employees and for passengers)?

Obviously, cruise ships aren't equipped or staffed to function as full-scale hospitals ... but how confident did you and your colleagues feel abuot the quality of care for routine or moderate-scale injuries, illnesses, etc.?

-- A fair number of passengers on major cruise lines seem to believe that corporate economizing is eating into the quality of their trips. They'll complain that the menu is getting cut back, service is weakening because of reductions in onboard staff, and the sales pressure for bingo, art auctions, onboard photos and similar "revenue generators" is getting obnoxious.

Do you believe that most crew and staff believe this is the case? Or is there another side to the story?

-- If you were hired as operations director for Celebrity, what changes would you want to make onboard right away? Are there some top priorities you'd have for improving passenger satisfaction, or for making the crew's jobs as reasonable as possible?

-- Where do you think the cruise industry is headed?

(I fully understand that you held just one position, so you can't fairly be asked for a "global perspective" answer ... but judging from what you saw and experienced, do you believe the major lines are getting more 'customer friendly' or less so? Are they making the staff's and crew's jobs better or worse?)

Thanks and happy 2005 to ya!

Thank goodness, most of us Texans are not this pretentious. Most of us just want to have fun on a cruise - not have our a--es kissed.

Well, I certainly don't want to get in the middle of this!:rolleyes:

I will say that my 10-17-2004 cruise on the Rhapsody was one of the best on RCCL, second only to the Voyager 10-15-2000. The passengers were at least 70% and possibly 80% Texans and truly some of the nicest people I've cruised with by far. I've met a lot of rude people on all of my cruises, but there were very few on my Rhapsody cruise. I'd be happy to sail with a ship full of Texans any old time.;)

Reggie:D

Thank you for the response! The other position I am curious about is the onboard shopping person - The one that tell you to shop at Diamonds International or certain shops when in port. I know they do not work for the cruiseline but do these people enjoy their job?

Pamela

I've cruised with by far. I've met a lot of rude people on all of my cruises, but there were very few on my Rhapsody cruise.Reggie:D

LOLOL Time to put on my glasses, I did a big double take when I thought Reggie said she'd met a lot of NUDE people on all of her cruises :D

:) first off i would like to say thank you to cruise employee for taking so much of his time to answer our questions.....i dont have a question per say ....but wanted to share this story i had on my first cruise on the carnival destiny back on feb of 2001.as i said it was my first cruise with one of my girl friends.....we were at the disco and it was getting late.....so she headed back to the cabin.being my first cruise on my first night i did not want to go back with her........so i stayed a bit longer and as i decided to leave i walked by a table that had crew members sitting at....was 3 or 4 guys and a few girls.one of them asked me where i was going the night is young and i said back to my cabin .....he said why dont you sit and have a drink with us! i was very happy to sit with them and have that drink :) we all got up and danced on the dance floor and when the disco closed at 2:00am maybe 3:00am we headed down to the aft bar which was open an hour later.couple more drinks and then they invited me down to one of their cabins!! i was feeling pretty good at this point and said sure! i remember walking down a hallway...and they opened up a door that was in the wall......couldnt even tell it was there.....it blended in with the rest of the wall then into this plain looking hallway then down another hallway.....best i could tell it was crew quarters hiden inbetween guest quarters....figure most guest have no idea they are even there :rolleyes: then into this little silver elevator big enough for 4 people and down we go....have no idea how many decks....down the hall and into their cabin all 8 or nine of us!the room was tan in color with no carpet and it had 4 bunks...at least thats how i think i remember it a bit drunk at this point.there i was in the "bowels" of the ship having no idea where i was...no windows inside crew cabin.i do remember them bringing out the bacardi 151 and all of us finishing it.one of the guys was in charge of the salon....his sister who was on the ship for two weeks was from poland another was a dancer in the show as well as 2 of the girls....and another was one of the band members.we partied until almost 6:00am that is when they snuck me out and back up to my cabin! my girlfriend was shocked and thought i had fallen overboard:eek: i have to say that this is all true and i know most people wont believe it but it happened. my friend rachael and i went to every show that week and always got there early enough to sit front row center i saw the dancers up on stage......and later found out that they saw me up front center clapping after every peformance.......another note almost 2 years later i was on rccl navigator of the seas this time with my fiance dan. we were in the disco and someone came up to me and said hi stephanie! i looked up at him and it was the guy from the band..the one i partied with on the destiny think his name was chris.(he transferred from carnival to royal)i thought that was real cool almost 2 years later and a crew member remembering me! i was so impressed.that was my first cruise and have not had an experience like that again.i am very friendly and a very outgoing person and have wondered about working on a cruise ship....plus i am a good tipper ;)

This show isn't on tv anymore (except in reruns), I though for sure I was reading an episode script:

"Love, exciting and new

Come Aboard. We're expecting you.

Love, life's sweetest reward.

Let it flow, it floats back to you.

Love Boat soon will be making another run

The Love Boat promises something for everyone

Set a course for adventure,

Your mind on a new romance. "

With apologies to Paul Williams and Charles Fox.....

Archived