Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

we looked down on her like she was a dinghy?

We sailed on the "Love Boat's" sister ship, the Island Princess, around Britain several year's ago... Almost all life on board centred around one deck... With under 700 passengers, fellow cruisers really became one large family... You would run in to the same people over and over... a wonderful experience..

...has the emphasis really shifted that bad that all they care about is where a passenger spends their money ashore and not how to avoid get ripped off getting to the store by an unscrupulous taxi driver?

Anita

They still have some decent port lectures entirely apart from any shopping information -- and you can find them on the tube to view the day before.

We sailed on the "Love Boat's" sister ship, the Island Princess, around Britain several year's ago... Almost all life on board centred around one deck... With under 700 passengers, fellow cruisers really became one large family... You would run in to the same people over and over... a wonderful experience..

We sailed on the Island twice and the Pacific once. They are what got us hooked on cruising. It was a much more intimate experience. We were even in an episode of the TV show that was filmed onboard.

We sailed on the Island twice and the Pacific once. They are what got us hooked on cruising. It was a much more intimate experience.

Makes you wonder why the ships coming out are all larger than the one before. If the cruise companies are in business to make a profit, they can only do so by satisfying the demand that is there. Those companies concentrating on smaller ships have prices that would keep us ashore.

We jus got off Connie & you are correct, Danny is great! As far as Captains Table it is Elite members & suite purchasers that are invited. We in CC got an invite due to lack of Elite aboard & we are Select. But the Captain to busy to eat, so we took turns sitting in his seat. ;-) But the free wine & champagne is a plus for that table, the food is the same as everyone else & the centerpiece I wanted to take backto our room.

Hi:) Not sure if the original poster ever worked on the Constellation....just returned home and that ship is beautiful.

There is a new young man there...his name is Daniel and he is "Captain's Club" person. They don't have a "Social Hostess" anymore.

He worked for Disney for a long time and is now on X. He and I had more than a few chats together and he told me the people who are invited to sit with the Captain now come from Corporate.

When the decision was made to change from Ship to Shore I don't think it sat very well......but that is the way the sail goes.....I know that sounded corney;)

Most of the people invited are now only suite passengers....if Daniel had a say in it, it would not be "Only Suites" but they don't give him much input about it anymore.

Just an FYI for those interested.

Just how reliable can we take the information that the recommeded shops are the best place to shop in each port. And on all the cruise ships that I have been on the CD and his staff are always telling us we should not shop anywhere but at the recommended shops because the cruise guarantees these places and that they have the best prices and the best product.

Just how large a grain of salt (truth) should we take with this information.

I agree with all the comments made about this topic. They of course are getting paid to push the specific shops and end up making commission off of attendance at these stores. But the main reason to shop at them IS the guarantee. That's it!!! If you're buying an expensive item, it won't be a fake. With so many shops in each port, who's to say which shop has been set up to make a quick buck by selling knock-off items...As far as ____ International and all the brand name ship port stores, I've heard that Cruise Lines own most of these stores anyways. (Not surprising really) When and if you do listen to a shop lecture, most talks do speak of the bargains or deals that they find...They push the stores they need to, but they also let you in on small secrets as to the best place to buy "10 T-shirts for $10 bucks" or the best rum-cake. (not necessarily their loyalty stores). It's the small items they'll give you shopping advice for.

Wow, they don't give us worthwhile information for purchases of thousands of dollars, but they can help us buy $10 tee shirts....:rolleyes: Sounds like a good reason to attend the shopping lectures.... NOT!:D

This is all so fascinating.....;)

jc

I agree with all the comments made about this topic. As far as ____ International and all the brand name ship port stores, I've heard that Cruise Lines own most of these stores anyways.

Pardon``````This is all so fascinating.....:confused:

cruiseemployee - Thanks for all your info so far! I do have two questions myself:

1) You sort of briefly touched on this but I've been told that due to US tax laws, it's difficult for US Citizens to work for most of the lines, as they are the only folks on the vessel paying income tax, and the wages are all based on the assumption that the income is untaxed, and thus it's less than a land-based job might pay. This really becomes a strong disincentive, IMHO, if it's true. I have a colleague who would love to do some time on a cruise vessel, and he'd definitely be an asset for the company and the passengers, but he's stayed away from trying it because of what he too has heard about this situation. Any extra you could contribute about this, or how US citizens you know who have worked on-ship dealt with this?

2) What is the conditions and atmosphere between the third-party vendor employees onboard (such as the photographers and salon folk) and the rest of the crew? Since these folk don't work for the line, I'd imagine things are a bit different for them. I've talked with someone from Celebrity's HR group who was on of the ships one cruise I was on (he was filling in for someone) and he stated things really weren't any different, from both a coworker's and from management's perspective. I know from jobs I have worked, this normally isn't the case -- contractors often find things a bit more difficult on both a professional and personal level :(

Thanks again,

Dave

cruiseemployee - 1) You sort of briefly touched on this but I've been told that due to US tax laws, it's difficult for US Citizens to work for most of the lines, as they are the only folks on the vessel paying income tax, and the wages are all based on the assumption that the income is untaxed, and thus it's less than a land-based job might pay. This really becomes a strong disincentive, IMHO, if it's true. I have a colleague who would love to do some time on a cruise vessel, and he'd definitely be an asset for the company and the passengers, but he's stayed away from trying it because of what he too has heard about this situation. Any extra you could contribute about this, or how US citizens you know who have worked on-ship dealt with this?

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave,

As a CPA and Full professor of tax, let me offer my two cents.

If a US citizen works on a ship that does not touch US shores, and he/she is away from the US for 330 out of 365 consecutive days he/she would likely qualify for the "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" which allows them to exclude up to $80,000 of income earned abroad.

Note, that if they are employed by a US corporation while working abroad the income is still excludible but is subject to Social Security tax.

Note further, that thankfully in this case, most cruise ships are foreign corporations.

Jim

2) What is the conditions and atmosphere between the third-party vendor employees onboard (such as the photographers and salon folk) and the rest of the crew? Since these folk don't work for the line, I'd imagine things are a bit different for them. I've talked with someone from Celebrity's HR group who was on of the ships one cruise I was on (he was filling in for someone) and he stated things really weren't any different, from both a coworker's and from management's perspective. I know from jobs I have worked, this normally isn't the case -- contractors often find things a bit more difficult on both a professional and personal level :(

Thanks again,

Dave

Hope you don't mind if I butt in with this, but I once raised this question directly with one of the contractors (golf pro) on one of the ships last year. I had assumed, like you, that there was some sense of division there, and wondered if it didn't get pretty lonely as a consequence.

I was advised that this wasn't the case at all (echoing your HR person's claims), and that providing you weren't some sort of "doofus" that wouldn't have gotten along with anybody to begin with, you spent your time socializing with the direct employees as if you were one, and weren't considered an "outsider" as a result of your contractor status. As I got to thinking about it, that actually makes sense, since the vast majority of crew are all essentially contractors anyway, doing x number of months of a contract, and may only plan to do a few contracts to make the money and head home again. From that perspective, most of these folks are really (sorry) in more or less the same boat, and don't necessarily have any long term allegiance to Celebrity, and no hard feelings for others who don't, either.

Hi all - great thread. Just thought I'd share that last April on the Summit we were invited to dine with the Hotel Director who was hosting the Captain's table on the last formal night. That was our 2nd X cruise and we were not in a Suite (we were in Concierge Class), nor had I even heard about a Social Hostess, let alone met her - Camilla was her name.

I did participate quite a lot in the roll call board before the cruise and lots of other cruise critic's were also eating with/at the Captain's table on other nights (our regular table was right next to this table).

Just wondering if maybe getting invited had something to do with being an "active" cruise critic member??

Note - I haven't posted in a while but it seems that my posting count got lost in the shuffle last spring/summer :)

First, THANK YOU, cruiseemployee for taking the time to answer our questions and having the patience to weather the more "trying" posts.

Do you have any insight into how the itineraries are set? While I'm somewhat interested in why some port times are only 8 hours (or less!), what I'm really interested in is how do they decide major deployments (I know there must be a nonmilitary, cruise term - but can't think of it)?

ie.; I would love to take a cruise from either coast to the other via South America. ROC had offered this, but I had to cancel my booking; and, then ROC went bankrupt. Now nobody (?) offers it.

Should I start writing letters to the lines like I do my congressman (who, btw, has never voted as I have suggested)? Should I start a thread on the CC boards hoping that some cruiseline employee notices it? Or, should I just win the lottery and charter/lease/buy a ship?

Dave,

As a CPA and Full professor of tax, let me offer my two cents.

If a US citizen works on a ship that does not touch US shores, and he/she is away from the US for 330 out of 365 consecutive days he/she would likely qualify for the "Foreign Earned Income Exclusion" which allows them to exclude up to $80,000 of income earned abroad.

Note, that if they are employed by a US corporation while working abroad the income is still excludible but is subject to Social Security tax.

Note further, that thankfully in this case, most cruise ships are foreign corporations.

Jim

Jim,

When my Daughter worked for RCI this summer she was based in Miami. They held out US Fed Tax, as she is a US Citizen, but as they are not a US Co., there was no Social Security held since they did no match as the employer. She was in Miami every Mon & Fri. And Key West on Thurs. A lot of touchin the US.

Dave,

Her pay grade was not bad even being from the US.

Jim,

A lot of touchin the US.

Dave,

Her pay grade was not bad even being from the US.

Thanks.

That sounds perfectly correct.

Overall, even if they have to do taxes, it sounds like a great experience for a young, VIBRANT person.

When my cousin was young he went and worked on the Saudi oil fields for two years and bought enough $$$ back he could start his own electric company at 25.

Since he really didn't need to spend any money (like a ship, food and lodging was included) he banked a fortune.

You really have to have the right personality, ESPECIALLY on the ship.

Dunno that I could do that.....

Jim

Cruiseemployee,

I keep seeing this thread, but only read it today, (or started to anyway) for the first time. I will have to read more.

I was wondering if you knew anything about companies that book people to give lectures for a week or 2 at a time. My husband lectures extensively on estate planning, and has thought about doing this. I know that many of the lines offer lectures like this on sea days, and it seems like a great way to get a free, or reduced price, cruise.

Cruiseemployee,

Thank you for answering questions honestly.

My question is, other than the medical dept., is any one else trained on the ship for emergencies, such as heart attack? Is the crew trained at CPR? Do they have defibulators at various parts of the ship, such as the spa/gym or dining rooms? Is the crew trained at operating the defibulators?

Thank you, Bob

Do you have any insight into how the itineraries are set? While I'm somewhat interested in why some port times are only 8 hours (or less!), what I'm really interested in is how do they decide major deployments (I know there must be a nonmilitary, cruise term - but can't think of it)?

ie.; I would love to take a cruise from either coast to the other via South America. ROC had offered this, but I had to cancel my booking; and, then ROC went bankrupt. Now nobody (?) offers it.

Should I start writing letters to the lines like I do my congressman (who, btw, has never voted as I have suggested)? Should I start a thread on the CC boards hoping that some cruiseline employee notices it? Or, should I just win the lottery and charter/lease/buy a ship?

Itineraries are set based on demand for the islands as well as the fees to go to them. For example, Grand Cayman is one of the most expensive islands to port at, so the port times are very short there. Whereas Mexico is usually cheap to dock, hence longer hours there. Most cruise ships like to tighten up port times obviously due to more revenue generated on the ship. There is always bickerings as to which port to go to based on revenue...For example, some shorter Alaskan cruises changed from Skagway to Sitka due to port charge issues and demand. A cruiseline threatening to move to a different port can cause major consequences for the exisiting port. (no surprise)

As far as South America, I think that you can take a back-to-back on (Infinity last year) a ship and make it coast to coast via S.A. Would end up being a month long cruise however.

CruiseEmployee: I came across this link while surfing the net. It was an interesting read & covers many of the topics & questions we have all thought of or asked on this board. I found the part about the assaults on board & the lack of precautions used by many officers & staff (i.e. a girl in every port & std's) incredible. The article alludes that if a crew member is caught in a pax room, they are generally fired; whereas, if a pax is found in a crew members room, it is considered consensual. This article is written by a former Chief Medical Officer for Carnival Cruiselines. So is Carnival an exception, or is what the good doctor writes about in his article a fairly factual account of life on a cruise ship? Interested in your opinion on this article. Thanks, Jen

http://www.skylarkmedicalclinic.com/cruisesafety.html

CruiseEmployee: I came across this link while surfing the net. It was an interesting read & covers many of the topics & questions we have all thought of or asked on this board. I found the part about the assaults on board & the lack of precautions used by many officers & staff (i.e. a girl in every port & std's) incredible. The article alludes that if a crew member is caught in a pax room, they are generally fired; whereas, if a pax is found in a crew members room, it is considered consensual. This article is written by a former Chief Medical Officer for Carnival Cruiselines. So is Carnival an exception, or is what the good doctor writes about in his article a fairly factual account of life on a cruise ship? Interested in your opinion on this article. Thanks, Jen

http://www.skylarkmedicalclinic.com/cruisesafety.html

Jen, this was a very interesting read for me and throughout the article I found myself nodding my head and smiling because that was exactly how it is on the ship. Most of it is factual...For instance, the part about security onboard and lack of precautions is true. It seems like they are around but are unwilling to jump in. Almost like they'll report it to someone just like what I could do, but would never get involved or turn a blind eye. (I felt more safe and secure with the security officers than I did with the security guards - A security officer oversees the guards...Usually 2 sec. officers and chief security. About 10 guards)

I recall a time on a ship where it was boat drill at the beginning of a cruise and everyone was in their muster stations. A late straggler was walking and I told him that he needed to go to his muster station. This guy tore a piece off of me and it appeared like he was going to hit me. (Witnesses agreed and were afraid as well) He was clearly not mentally stable and anything was going to set this guy off. I immediately found a security guard who approached this big guy and asked him to head to the muster station. After the security guard was yelled at and threatened, he walked away from the guy and told me and everyone around me just to leave the guy alone. The security guard was going to inform Chief Security...???? That's it...just leave him alone...I was so mad... Here's a lunatic yelling at everyone that approaches him and I was told just to "leave him alone". Needless to say I never did feel safe as far as confrontations went because I felt like there was no support.

(as an aside...security on a ship and the level of comfort that you feel DOES depend on the person that is in the position of Chief Security. Some are great people who will protect everyone at all costs while others just go through their paces. Scary...)

The other part that's true is the girlfriend in every port thing. Now this isn't true for every single person on a ship; in fact it's a small percentage, but it makes everyone else on the ship look conspicuous. I knew plenty of people who had multiple girlfriends/boyfriends but yet had either a wife/husband or g/f back home. They were dogs... Some people tried to pick up the hottest person on the ship each week. They'd fall in love for the week and then move on to the next week. It was almost like a competition to see who'd land the "hottie". Of course these people had bad reputations on board and were obviously avoided by the crew onboard for relationships. (could be part of the reason why they were picking up passengers) Some crew were also very premiscuous with other crew members and gained a very negative reputation as well.

The one comment I don't agree with in this article is the part about the non liability for having guests in crew cabins. This was not allowed ever on Celebrity. At no point in time should a crew member ever be in the same cabin as a guest unless they are working. (a note: I had family visit during some of my cruises and frequented their room quite often. I didn't know if this was allowed or not and quite frankly felt like I was breaking the rules by going into my own family's room. However from an outsider's perspective seeing me walk into a passenger's room (family) would definitely raise some suspicion on my status as well.) Now I do know of parties with guests in crew areas and passenger parties where crew have been present. (I've been to a few myself) If security doesn't catch you then you're fine is the most used excuse...But I was risking getting fired over a party...Scary when I think about it.

Hi CruiseEmployee --

That was an interesting response about the security staffing. It seems to confirm what's posted on various boards here by passengers who complain of security that "won't get involved." It seems sort of surprising, considering the potential liability and bad publicity that can arise when small incidents (like your encounter with the hothead who was late for muster) are allowed to escalate.

Does security ever get so lazy that the crew will formally complain about it? (And when the crew has a complaint like that, do they address the staff captain or an assistant?)

Also, a couple of questions on something else: Choosing a ship when you begin a new contract.

If crew members have enough seniority to exert some control over which ship they'll work on next, what are the main factors that influence them to ask for ship Z instead of ship W ... is it the itinerary, the embarkation port, the other staff onboard, the supervisors and managers currently assigned onboard, the "reputation" of the ship itself? Or other factors, like the quality of the security and medical staff working on each ship?

Do some ships have significantly better crew accommodations than others?

Thanks as always for participating in this thread! Enjoy the week.

Archived