Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

Our first cruise was on the "Love Boat", the Pacific Princess in 1974. The crew with the exception of the Restaurant were British. The dining areas were Italian, both the chefs and waiters. We were celebrating my 30th birthday and everyone was so charming. I'll never forget, about 10 of the dining room waiters lined up and kissed my hand. Our cabin steward was Cockney with a great accent and he was a real character. Great memories!:)

My first cruise was on the "Love Boat" too. The Island Princess to Alaska in 1983. I will never forget the charming young officer who sat at our table almost every night. The food was to die for. The Italian food was just like home. It is a memory I will not forget.

Cruiseemployee, do the staff have a hard time maintaining their weight on board ship? Do you have an exercise room? Are the staff allowed to walk/run on the track on the upper deck with the passengers? Do you eat the same food the passengers do? If so, after months and months of the same thing every cruise, do you get tired of it?

Thanks,

Garry

Yes, staff do have a hard time maintaining their weight. Most food is cooked in oil; vegetables and fresh items are done this way to bring out the flavour...When this kind of food is usually boiled or steamed at home, the extra grease gets to you after a while. Most production casts on board a ship HATE eating in the staff mess because of the lack of choices because of how things are cooked. (this is a very touchy issue among crew) We do have an exercise room on board...Again, depending on the age of the ship, some are nice while others are nonexistent. Staff are allowed to run on the track; not crew. Do we eat the same food??? Tough one...Some days we do, some we don't. For example, if you have chicken breast in the dining room, we'd have the thighs and legs. And many times, we can order certain things off of your menu. (this is predetermined) Again only staff and officer ranks have this priviledge, not crew.

And yes, after months you do get tired of it...You know exactly what is on the menu every day...The one thing most of us look forward to at the end of a contract is the freedom to go to a supermarket and shop for whatever you want to eat that day. Or to open the cupboard and decide on whatever tickles your fancy. This one perk is huge to someone who has to eat what's in the mess every day.

Cheers

:confused: Cruiseemployee. You asked one time what cruisers might like as 'entertainment'. How about a 'study of the stars'. Most of us come from urban areas, with haze or smog, and poor visibility. On cruise ships on clear nights there is so much more to see in the sky, from a dark area on a top deck. My wife and I would lie flat [no smart remarks], and just look at the stars. One problem was that being at different latitudes it was difficult at times to know just what we were looking at. How about short films or slide shows of the 'local night sky'?

Happy New Year to all, and Cruiseemployee your still doing a great job! Many thanks :) john taylor.

John,

I agree, a study of the stars is a great idea and we have discussed this on board (not formally however). The main problem is finding a deck that is dark enough to do this (some of you have already mentioned this.) So the powers that be would have to turn off some lights on a deck which raises some safety concerns...

On one itinerary I was a part of, every Wednesday night we passed Montserrat close enough that the volcano would explode like clockwork for us. It happened around 3am every morning...The challenge was to find a deck that was dark enough to see it well. This eruption was not made known to the guests, but we leaked it out to people that also seemed interested and were willing to stay up for it.

hi:)

Quote by Bethwte:

"I'm too young for the Love Boat...too bad, I would have loved to have seen it.

Maybe they'll have re-runs some day"

Beth...they have re-runs NOW.......check your TV GUIDE..........TV LAND shows them.............Julie, Doc, Isaac,............Captain Stuebing!....the whole gang;)

Check out their clothing too.....talk about funky LOL....Leisure suits were BIG back then!

Hi again, Cruiseemployee ....

A few more questions for whenever you've got some spare time:

-- How would you rate the quality of onboard medical care (for employees and for passengers)?

Obviously, cruise ships aren't equipped or staffed to function as full-scale hospitals ... but how confident did you and your colleagues feel abuot the quality of care for routine or moderate-scale injuries, illnesses, etc.?

-- A fair number of passengers on major cruise lines seem to believe that corporate economizing is eating into the quality of their trips. They'll complain that the menu is getting cut back, service is weakening because of reductions in onboard staff, and the sales pressure for bingo, art auctions, onboard photos and similar "revenue generators" is getting obnoxious.

Do you believe that most crew and staff believe this is the case? Or is there another side to the story?

-- If you were hired as operations director for Celebrity, what changes would you want to make onboard right away? Are there some top priorities you'd have for improving passenger satisfaction, or for making the crew's jobs as reasonable as possible?

-- Where do you think the cruise industry is headed?

(I fully understand that you held just one position, so you can't fairly be asked for a "global perspective" answer ... but judging from what you saw and experienced, do you believe the major lines are getting more 'customer friendly' or less so? Are they making the staff's and crew's jobs better or worse?)

Thanks and happy 2005 to ya!

I'd rate the quality of medicare onboard as average...They take good care of the guests; but whenever one of us had a problem, we got a shot in the arse and some pills to take, never a solution...Nurses are very nice; always willing to help. They're very limited on board with supplies though so that makes solutions limited accordingly.

Corporate economizing hasn't been weakening celebrity as far as I can tell...It is a numbers game. Not enough people were eating the midnight buffets; gone. Bring in pooslide sorbet. What the majority of guests want, they get. I have seen the sales pressure of the art auctions, bingo, etc firsthand and I know that it can get obnoxious. I do agree. But in order to up the revenue, it's the best plan...Sorry; when we have your undivided attention for 7 days it happens.

As operations director, I'd make a few changes. (remember I come from entertainment dep.) First of all entertainment is old on ships. (aside from Cirque) The same games (newlywed), theme nights, gets boring if you're a loyal celebrity traveller. Need to find something fresh that everyone will love. (now if you find that idea, let me know!!!) Everyone always uses the same games and themes because it's "a safe bet" and "easy to do". Have to get out of that thinking. I also think that branding of ships for a "one ship concept" whereby you'll know what you're getting on any cruise is a good idea in certain areas, but not in others. You lose the appeal and distinction of ships you enjoy because it's the same old thing on all of them. You lose character. You have to allow cruise directors and creative individuals onboard to implement their ideas as they see fit. Otherwise, you'll have no favorite ship and your experience will lose that memorable appeal. (just my opinion)

I'd also get rid of the Captain's Club. (can hear everyone cringing right now) You do need a loyalty club, but giving it to anyone after one cruise for free makes it very watered down and defeats the purpose of benefits. I mentioned this before in this thread, but what good are benefits if everyone has them?

Those are my top priorities based on my job. (would have other ones if I was in a different department)

I'd think the industry is going to have to change their "all-inclusive" thinking because it's not like that anymore. Many more people are choosing the all-inclusive vacation compared to a cruise because of the guaranteed cost of the trip. When you think about it, the only thing that's all inclusive is the food (although there are options which are extra) and the entertainment. Have got to figure out a way to have more value added for the ticket price.

Hey there cruiseemployee!!!!

We're set to leave San Diego for Mexico tomorrow. Unfortunately, San Diego is goign to be hit with what is said to be the biggest storm in 30 years.

My question...what happens at sea during a storm?? Obviously the seas get rough. Am I in for a nightmare trip??

Thank you for the response! The other position I am curious about is the onboard shopping person - The one that tell you to shop at Diamonds International or certain shops when in port. I know they do not work for the cruiseline but do these people enjoy their job?

Pamela

Port & Shopping guide is a great job if you like to shop for bargains and schmooze with people. They make great money and it's not that demanding of a job. Yes, they do enjoy their job.

Port & Shopping guide is a great job if you like to shop for bargains and schmooze with people. They make great money and it's not that demanding of a job. Yes, they do enjoy their job.
Don't know if you ever ran across "Andre the Aussie" while you were with X, but what a character. He certainly did enjoy what he did, and seemed to enjoy working with the passengers to make it happen.

You may want to stay "covert" after answering this one! How do you feel about the potential conflict of interest between those who pay the P&S Guide's company for the guide's endorsement and the best interest of the shopping passenger?

My only problem with this position is that there's clearly a "connection" between this person and the "recommended" shops, and there's no question that this could lead to a conflict of interest that doesn't necessarily work in favor of the passengers (whether it does or not at any given time is unknown, of course). While this "arrangement" allows for certain guarantees to be made as part of the program, it likely also completely neglects by design the promotion of many other legitimate and unique specialty shops that only a regular visitor to these areas (the P&S Guide) would/could know about and keep up with on a regular basis.

I'm a little tired of the "[fill in your gems] International" promotions and seeing the same shops promoted in every port, and there's really nothing Celebrity can do to provide any alternate (or even additional) information to their pax without upsetting the P&S Guide's corporate offices.

good question, canderson ~

You almost wish that this position (shopping guide) was real. Someone who actually researched the shops....all the shops....and wasn't doing all of the talking about a particular store...because they are getting paid to.

But, on the flip side: there is a guarantee involved...and we are speaking about foreign countries....and we are speaking of thousands of dollars for a diamond, etc... ring!

I wonder: how many repeat cruisers actually go to these "shopping presentations"....held on board.

Yes, I have two little girls...who like to get their "free tanzanite stud earrings"...if you visit this store! It's a hoot for them. And, when we go in to get our free diamond chip stud earrings, the shop keeper wants to know what ship we are from...and he documents it right away. See, the shopping guide has just gotten credit for getting us to the store.

It's a market...but, it is fun. I will admit...on my first cruise...it was very exciting! :D

No gripes...just commentary !

Just how reliable can we take the information that the recommeded shops are the best place to shop in each port. And on all the cruise ships that I have been on the CD and his staff are always telling us we should not shop anywhere but at the recommended shops because the cruise guarantees these places and that they have the best prices and the best product.

Just how large a grain of salt (truth) should we take with this information.

Can you tell us how we can send a message to the crew of Zenith? Our waiter and cabin steward were from Indonesia and we would like to send them a note regarding Tsunami disaster. Thanks
Name of person

Department on Ship

Zenith

c/o Celebrity Cruises

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

I'd rate the quality of medicare onboard as average... hmmm....

Those are my top priorities based on my job. (would have other ones if I was in a different department)

I thought you no longer worked for the cruiseline? Did I miss a post?

enquiring minds and all...

jc

Hey there cruiseemployee!!!!

We're set to leave San Diego for Mexico tomorrow. Unfortunately, San Diego is goign to be hit with what is said to be the biggest storm in 30 years.

My question...what happens at sea during a storm?? Obviously the seas get rough. Am I in for a nightmare trip??

What happens at sea??? Get ready for a rough one... lol...just kidding...

A few tips:

1) Try and get a stateroom near the center of the ship and lower down. Less movement there.

2) Get the patches that you put behind your ears (don't remember what they're called) for seasickness. I think these are prescribed from a doctor. Make sure to put them on 3 hours before you set sail. Ships also give out dramamine at guest relations.

3) Worst time is during dinner when you are sitting and eating...get up and walk around.

(Some people get very seasick while others don't) I have never been sick on a ship before...Just lucky I guess.

I thought you no longer worked for the cruiseline? Did I miss a post?

enquiring minds and all...

jc

So very sorry XP.

Dear Grammar Police,

Please change my quote to read, "Those are my top priorities based on my past job. (would have other ones if I was in a different department)"

Thanks

3) Worst time is during dinner when you are sitting and eating...get up and walk around.

Here's something that might help some folks who experience seasickness during sit-down periods like meals... get yourself properly oriented!

At dinner on a rough sea, assure that you are seated such that your motion is front to rear, like a rocking chair, and NOT side to side. You'd be surprised at the difference this may make to how you feel so long as you start out your meal this way (once you get into trouble, it's usually too late), and those of us who aren't feeling it will gladly trade seats with you to make this possible.

...especially if you don't want to go the dramamine route or were too late with the patches:

1. Get fresh air, but look at the horizon or at the stars if it is nighttime. At all costs avoid looking directly below or at the wake;
  2. Force yourself to eat something light (believe it or not -- food on the stomach does help);
  3. Drink some Ginger ale or Ginger beer;
  4. Close your mouth, inhale deeply, but slowly, through your nose, exhale slowly through your mouth -- but expel your breath gently in a "blowing" manner (most Moms are already familiar with this technique:D ). Do not gasp for air. Do not hyperventilate.

These turned out to be tried and true for my DH when he was surprised by nausea at the back of the dining room (as far aft as one could go) and glanced out the window at the rolling wake his second night on the Pacific Ocean.:eek:

Angel, I think you got it pretty right. Fresh air and fixing your eyes on something stationary is the best thing to getting your equilbrium back together. The stationary thing can be the moon, a ship near you or if near the coast the coastline. But a breeze in your face is also important.

For the gadget minded MaryBeth uses a thing that looks like a wristwatch. Gives off a tiny electrical current. She uses it not only for sailing but also for flying.

wonderful pic of the princess...... and i got to watch the show on primetime!!!we ocked beside her in port! wow i believe i was on one of the voyager class rccl ships and we looked down on her like she was a dinghy? dingy....lol just realised i dont know how to spell it!!!! but i would have enjoyed going on board her to check it out and get a pic by the pool........may have even run into gopher or stubing :D

Hey Boo's Mom, only good thing about going to the P&S lectures is getting some of the freebies given away at the lecture!

I remember when they used to give more info on the port. The port lecturer used to do just that: lecture on the port. Cruiseemployee, has the emphasis really shifted that bad that all they care about is where a passenger spends their money ashore and not how to avoid get ripped off getting to the store by an unscrupulous taxi driver?

Anita

First of all entertainment is old on ships.

The same games (newlywed), theme nights, gets boring if you're a loyal celebrity traveller.

I also think that branding of ships for a "one ship concept".. it's the same old thing on all of them.

I'd also get rid of the Captain's Club. You do need a loyalty club, but giving it to anyone after one cruise for free makes ..defeats the purpose of benefits.

WOW... To think a ship could have its own character, with distictive entertainment and a loyalty program based on dedicated repeat cruisers....

When we bought our Captain's club membership we attended our first "Club Meeting" with fewer than a dozen members... Now over half the ship attends... On Princess.. when too many people achieved Platinum (=Celebrity Elite)... they introduced a new elite class requiring 15 (? not there, not sure) cruises...

Archived