Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

Cruiseemployee:

I was recently reading about crew members (deckhands, I believe) being injured in two separate accidents during lifeboat drills when ships were in port. Do the recreation or entertainment staff ever get 'drafted' to participate in those drills? Does the deck crew complain about those drills much?

A second question .... and please feel VERY free to skip this one if you prefer ...

Is there a particular cruise line that employees generally would not sail as passengers?

(No doubt, staff will like or dislike different lines because of the work arrangements -- pay, hours, workload, the accommodations, and the general "tone" of the supervisors and corporate managers. But assuming you were traveling as a passenger, is there one line in particular that you'd recommend avoiding ... either for safety, quality-of-cruise or morale-of-staff reasons?)

Happy groundhog day & enjoy the night,

Crew drills are MANDATORY unless you have a duty that has to be done at the time...(waiter in the restaurant, trivia, etc) These usually occur once a cruise, or once every 2 weeks; depends on the Safety Officer and the Captain. Yes, crew complain about these drills because they usually happen during most of the crew's downtime. But we all understand that it is important to do them.

As far as your second question goes, I really can't answer that because I personally have only experienced Celebrity and RCCL. I've never been on another cruise with another cruiseline.

This has been a great thread. I was on Norwegian in December and they had a murder mystery that you had to sign up for and you were put into groups of ten people, everyone was given a character to play, you went to dinner with your group and acted out the murder mystery. It was a lot of fun.

I have one question for the cruise employee, who has been doing a great job. How do they determine who sits with who in the dining room.

I'm not too sure how they determine it, but I don't think there's honestly much thought that goes into it other than number of people in your party. (There's no formula lol) I don't think there is an age matching scheme or anything (that I'm aware of. Could be wrong...) The plan is to spread the guests among the number of waiters as evenly as possible while avoiding table hassles such as shortage of small tables, lack of room during main dining as compared to late.

I'd like to announce that I will be finished answering questions in this thread. It has become a very long thread and is quite overwhelming for new people to have to read through in order to see if their question has already been asked. There is also another recent thread that has been started so any questions not already answered can be asked on his thread.

I'd just like to say that it has been a pleasure giving you an insider's view and I actually looked forward every day to checking the thread to see the various questions asked. It was kind of an addiction if you will.

My current job does not allow me to keep this thread updated as well as I would like so I have decided that it is best to end this relationship.lol.

Thanks for your interest and happy sailing.

Please have fun cruising; smile and say hi to all the employees.

But most importantly, please enjoy your cruise and relax!!! Worrying on a cruise is not allowed; what is there to really worry about...

Best wishes.

CruiseEmployee.... thank you so much for all your help and all the time you spent trying to answer our questions. And I admire your patience and kindness in tolerating the critics who were questioning your credibility. I think you were probably threatening their self-proclaimed expertise.:D Thanks again and good luck in your new endeavors!

Allen

I'd like to announce that I will be finished answering questions in this thread. It has become a very long thread and is quite overwhelming for new people to have to read through in order to see if their question has already been asked. There is also another recent thread that has been started so any questions not already answered can be asked on his thread.

I'd just like to say that it has been a pleasure giving you an insider's view and I actually looked forward every day to checking the thread to see the various questions asked. It was kind of an addiction if you will.

My current job does not allow me to keep this thread updated as well as I would like so I have decided that it is best to end this relationship.lol.

But most importantly, please enjoy your cruise and relax!!! Worrying on a cruise is not allowed; what is there to really worry about...

Best wishes.

Our thanks to you as well, and your last two sentences are so much on target, they should be all of our standard mottos.

...please enjoy your cruise and relax!!! Worrying on a cruise is not allowed; what is there to really worry about...

Best wishes.

Hi CruiseEmployee !

Thanks for the great work. It was very informative. I want to wish you all the best with your career. Smooth Sailing to you !

• 8 months later...

I'm in Korea teaching English right now, before I signed a contract to come here I was looking for a job on a cruise line. I even went as far to pay a company that "guarnteed me a job." The Korea thing came up and I went with it. Now my contract is almost finished here I would love to get a job in the cruise industry. I have tons of experience dealing with the public, I'm outgoing, personable and hard working any advice how to get hired? Also my 19 year old brother wants in too, is that possible?

There are gobs of books out there on how to do it. Most say to send unsolicited resumes to every single cruise line and wait. But I recently came across a book that is entitled: Cruise Ship Job in 14 Days, The Laser Strategy For Next Generation Applying by Bogdan Mihaylov. It deals with the resume and the applicant's attitude in the cover letter as well as in the interview.

I also did a search engine look for cruise ship jobs and found many agencies. There was one online book which for one year will be constantly updated on the names, addresses and phone numbers of the agencies. He gives 5 "lessons" free of charge. contact him at neil@getacruiseshipjob.com and tell him you're interested in the free lessons.

• 4 years later...
My dear derf, I am curious how you stumbled across this post from 2005:rolleyes:

Were you searching the archives for something..... I think this is great that you would be digging around to that depth:D Please do tell!

It was not my fault PartyAllDaTyme posted that link when we I asked do crew read cruisecritic and can they post.

I stumbled upon this thread quite accidentally while searching for something else. It was some interesting reading, both the insider's views as well as some posters' suspicion and criticism of the OP for not revealing his identity. I found the arguments that the OP must have been an impostor because he apparently could not accurately quote the price of a beer to be hilarious! The name-calling got so bad the mods locked the thread at one point, but gave in to popular demand and unlocked it because people found the thread so interesting. In a way, I felt like I was looking at an historical document.

An object lesson for those who figure that they don't have to be particularly nice because their posts will disappear into cyberspace within a few days.

Hi,

We are from the Uk and find this most interesting - we cruise with Celebrity because we believe American lines give best service although inevitably the entertainment has a US slant when it comes to quizes and we found that the entertainment staff did not want to get to involved with Brits. QUOTE]

I was on a Caribbean cruise and got friendly with a group of about a dozen Brits, who made the same comment about the trivia quizzes. So I made up a British-themed trivia for them (I'm from the US, but a bit of an anglophile)--complete with Celebrity keychains as prizes. (Yeah, how many of those does one person need?)

Archived