Past Celebrity Employee - Answering Your Questions

cruiseemployee

Cruiseemployee, were you ever onboard when your ship was in dry dock (either scheduled or emergency)?

If so, were you given shore leave or were you assigned other duties?

Thanks for all the info to date.:)

Cruiseemployee, please excuse me if this question has already been addressed on this thread. My husband and I just returned from a cruise where there was an outbreak of the Norwalk virus. The sick passengers and all other cabinmates were quarantined to their cabin for 24 hours, and to the ship for 72 hours. The outbreak was very underreported because of this time period of confinement. Three days is a long time on a 7 day cruise. The crew worked very hard to sanitize all surfaces but it was an impossible job. I was told by another crew member that after we docked and all passengers were off of the ship, the crew would sanitize the entire ship with a chlorine bleach mixtures and that every surface that could possibly be touched by human hand would be cleaned. None of the crew could leave ship until this was completed even though some were starting their vacation period. Have you ever had to go through this process? Is there a way that the furniture is cleaned? Can this all be done (thoroughly) between cruises? I don't see how it can be accomplished in just a few hours between departure and arrival of passengers.

Thanks,

Garry

Garry, this is not the case. Not a chance to be all done in between cruises. There is usually a 20 minute turnaround time from the last guest to the first one of a new cruise. All surfaces are CONSTANTLY cleaned using a bleach substance. It is a very strong smelling liquid. The cleaning would start the moment that it is understood the ship is contaminated. I've never heard of every crew member cleaning on such a tight schedule like that. I know that we've been instructed to clean everything we own in our cabin including walls; but it's never been done as strict as you mention. Don't honestly know how the furniture is cleaned, sorry.

Cruiseemployee, were you ever onboard when your ship was in dry dock (either scheduled or emergency)?

If so, were you given shore leave or were you assigned other duties?

Thanks for all the info to date.:)

Yes, I was on board a ship that dry docked in Freeport, Bahamas. It was scheduled. Because I was in the Entertainment dept. there really wasn't much we could do. We just cleaned up a bit and had a daily department meeting. Dry dock is more or less "Spring Cleaning" for most departments. Honestly, it was a week off for us. Ended up spending more money than I made but that's a different story. Apparently people have the option to leave and return home for a week but they have to pay for their own ticket and have to return before the ship leaves from drydock. They also don't get paid for that week.

Cheers

Cruise E-

You have discussed many of the occupations on ships. How do the cruise lines schedule chaplains for their ships? I have a friend that might be interested.

Debby

The chaplains speak to head office about signing up. In the same class as bridge directors and dance hosts, they are given EXTREMELY cheap cruises in exchange for their services for a set amount of days during the cruise. I think that they go through head office but not exactly sure who they speak to. When they get on the ship, they are under the cruise director's wing because it's a scheduled activity.

Thanks cruiseemployee for this AMAZING thread. You really ought to write a book.

I'm glad you mentioned the dance hosts. How does one go about becoming a dance host? I've often heard this is a great way for mature men travelling w/o women to take discounted cruises. How old do the men have to be to be considered? Do you have to audition somehow?

Hello PD -

I was checking into this for my dance instructor who had some friends that were interested. Since we normally hang around the rendez-vous where they play "ballroom" type music, the dance hosts spend many hours there in the evening. We spoke to a few of them and they told us that are hired by an agency who supplies the dance hosts to the ships. You have to be able to lead ballroom style dances - chacha, swing, foxtrot, waltz, rhumba, etc. as well as be outgoing.

I am not sure if the agency requires auditions. If you do a web search for dance hosts, you can find all different agencies.

karen

The chaplains speak to head office about signing up. In the same class as bridge directors

:D The story goes that a husband and wife, the bridge directors on a cruise ship, were given a cabin in staff quarters close to the bridge. Late on night they were accosted by a junior officer, who told them in no uncertain terms that civilians were not allowed so close to the bridge. 'Thats all right son,' was the reply, 'we are the new Bridge Directors!' 'You'r the what', came the horse reply. This I saw written up as true, I just pass it on without comment.:cool:

john taylor

Strange question for you...what is the standard dress for the folks who work with the kids? (khaki pants, white polo shirt or something else)? Also, what is their job title?

I know the question seems strange, but I am planning a fun surprise for someone who is applying to work on the ships with the kids.

Thanks

Hey There

I am a past employee of Celebrity..who worked directly with the children..so i can answer your question.The job title is called Youth Counsellor..and the uniforms are provided..they are khaki pants/shorts (male counsellors) and shorts/skirts (ladies)..during the day you wear a striped burgundy polo shirt..and evening you wear a white blouse (ladies) white crisp polo shirt (guys) and a burgundy blazer over..running shoes during the day..and brown loafers/beige heels for the ladies..

Anyway..other questions..you can email me direct

chez_xxxis@hotmail.com

Take Care

Babygirl_27

Cruiseemployee:

Just a quick note to say our "entertainment staff" put on the best Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre on RCL last year. We really didn't have any expectations as we had never been to one, but booked it because of the dinner! What a GREAT night. Ended up being a highlight of our trip. The dancers in the shows were the actors (very, very funny) and the Host of the specialty restaurant participated as the MC for the night. The actors all had wonderful personalities and did a great job of staying in character the whole time - we're thinking it was at least two hours - maybe three with cocktails at the beginning of the show (story set up) through desert.

So our recommendation for something to do would be this. Have you ever done one? Is this something that has been overdone? We're pretty new cruisers.

That depends on the Line and the ship. Earlier vessel models don't have the tech...Doin' the horizantal mombojombo in public without being found out will require your further investigation of the ship board viewing systems...F.Y.I not all the cameras are operational.

Priests and ministers used to all come from Rent A Preist (not kidding) but due to complaints mainly from the Catholic Church about de-frocked (married, molestors, etc) priests doing mass there is now an agency that certifies all their clergy are in good standing. So far HAL and X are the only lines using this certified method exclusively. Other lines are expected to bend to pressure and follow suit.

I have worked for Celebrity Cruises for almost 3 years but have moved on to bigger and better things. My knowledge of cruising would best be used in this forum for anyone who may have questions regarding shiplife or any questions you have may have...I come on cruise critic about once a week so please be patient with me as I reply in this thread.

Any questions are welcome.

Cheers.smile.gif

1.can you tell me what time the tours start when the ship is docked i.e. (Europe) Croatia, Athens, Santorini, Naples, civitavecchia, Livorini,Villefranche,2. also can you give me any idea what ports are near the centre where the ship docks. 3 if service is paid with holiday price what tips does it include and how does an employee know that we already tipped as this is our first cruise its also our 30th Wedding Anniversary so any tip you might think of that that would make our cruise more enjoyable.

Cruiseemployee:

Just a quick note to say our "entertainment staff" put on the best Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre on RCL last year. We really didn't have any expectations as we had never been to one, but booked it because of the dinner! What a GREAT night. Ended up being a highlight of our trip. The dancers in the shows were the actors (very, very funny) and the Host of the specialty restaurant participated as the MC for the night. The actors all had wonderful personalities and did a great job of staying in character the whole time - we're thinking it was at least two hours - maybe three with cocktails at the beginning of the show (story set up) through desert.

So our recommendation for something to do would be this. Have you ever done one? Is this something that has been overdone? We're pretty new cruisers.

I have never done a murder mystery before...Saw it on an RCCL cruise, but didn't pay attention to the specifics of it.(I was on vacation lol.) I've been involved with the liar's club before...Could suggest it I suppose. Definitely not overdone.

1.can you tell me what time the tours start when the ship is docked i.e. (Europe) Croatia, Athens, Santorini, Naples, civitavecchia, Livorini,Villefranche,2. also can you give me any idea what ports are near the centre where the ship docks. 3 if service is paid with holiday price what tips does it include and how does an employee know that we already tipped as this is our first cruise its also our 30th Wedding Anniversary so any tip you might think of that that would make our cruise more enjoyable.

Honestly can't tell you as I haven't done the Europe itinerary before. Wish I had though. Sorry...

Just have fun and relax...Don't get all caught up in the activities if you're not intending to...just sit back and take it all in.

Hey, so I have another question for you... Alright, I'm sure this was asked before, but honestly, who wants to search 20 pages for it, not me... And I'm sure many people just discovering the thread as well. So, sorry if it's a repeat :(

I'm leaving in three weeks (yay) and was wondering about something. I can make a good time out of anything on my vacation, after all, it is vacation. However, I'm sure its a lot harder for the ship's employees to enjoy cruising/their job all of the time. Is there anything thing I can do as a passenger to make their week just a bit better? I know obviously common courtesy works, but was there anything you would have just loved if a pax did, or something someone did that esp stands out in your mind as great?

Wow, bethwte, that's a nice thing to ask - it's true, sometimes we forget the little things we can do to make the crew's job easier or more pleasant. Sure, we're paying them for their work, but it never hurts to be polite and respectful.

Now for my question - I asked this in another post, but never got a reply.

Are there any adults-only pools on Celebrity ships, specifically the Mercury?

Thanks!

Cruiseemployee:

I was recently reading about crew members (deckhands, I believe) being injured in two separate accidents during lifeboat drills when ships were in port. Do the recreation or entertainment staff ever get 'drafted' to participate in those drills? Does the deck crew complain about those drills much?

A second question .... and please feel VERY free to skip this one if you prefer ...

Is there a particular cruise line that employees generally would not sail as passengers?

(No doubt, staff will like or dislike different lines because of the work arrangements -- pay, hours, workload, the accommodations, and the general "tone" of the supervisors and corporate managers. But assuming you were traveling as a passenger, is there one line in particular that you'd recommend avoiding ... either for safety, quality-of-cruise or morale-of-staff reasons?)

Happy groundhog day & enjoy the night,

I have never done a murder mystery before...Saw it on an RCCL cruise, but didn't pay attention to the specifics of it.(I was on vacation lol.) I've been involved with the liar's club before...Could suggest it I suppose. Definitely not overdone.

This has been a great thread. I was on Norwegian in December and they had a murder mystery that you had to sign up for and you were put into groups of ten people, everyone was given a character to play, you went to dinner with your group and acted out the murder mystery. It was a lot of fun.

I have one question for the cruise employee, who has been doing a great job. How do they determine who sits with who in the dining room.

Hey, so I have another question for you... Alright, I'm sure this was asked before, but honestly, who wants to search 20 pages for it, not me... And I'm sure many people just discovering the thread as well. So, sorry if it's a repeat :(

I'm leaving in three weeks (yay) and was wondering about something. I can make a good time out of anything on my vacation, after all, it is vacation. However, I'm sure its a lot harder for the ship's employees to enjoy cruising/their job all of the time. Is there anything thing I can do as a passenger to make their week just a bit better? I know obviously common courtesy works, but was there anything you would have just loved if a pax did, or something someone did that esp stands out in your mind as great?

The first thing you can do is make sure you're there to relax. Enjoy all the events, shows, food. If you can remember someone's name (besides your room steward or waiter), it makes it more personal for everyone. One thing employees hate to hear is when someone says, "well on my last cruise...". That was your last cruise. They're supposed to be different...Leave it on the comment card at the end of the cruise.

Just being a satisfied cruiser that likes to have fun works for me as an employee. I remember when a guest left me a bottle of wine the end of the cruise. I like wine so really appreciated it.

Wow, bethwte, that's a nice thing to ask - it's true, sometimes we forget the little things we can do to make the crew's job easier or more pleasant. Sure, we're paying them for their work, but it never hurts to be polite and respectful.

Now for my question - I asked this in another post, but never got a reply.

Are there any adults-only pools on Celebrity ships, specifically the Mercury?

Thanks!

Haven't been on the Century class so don't know details. On the Mill. class the T-Therapy pool is for 18+.

Cruiseemployee:

Our there hidden cameras everywhere? Like in the bars, clubs, dining rooms, etc. Also, do ships ever get vandalized?

There are cameras, but most of them aren't hidden; you can see them. Any outside deck has a camera for safety reasons. Ships don't usually get vandalized. Most times they get "dirty" during family holiday seasons. I remember catching kids throwing shuffleboard sticks and deck chairs over the side of the ship. That's trouble waiting to happen.

Archived