Spirit/Vista Class hybrid - Could these come to Carnival soon?

Well, it has been a long time since I posted here, however, I have discovered something interesting.

Sister company Costa has introduced the Costa Luminosa, a hybrid Spirit Class/Vista Class design. Looking at the deck plans, it maintains the efficient layout of the Spirit Class ships. Like the Spirit and Vista Class, they are Panamax form-factor ships.

I was wondering, could this design perhaps be the next ship class for Carnival? I think such a design would be the ideal replacement for some aging Fantasy Class ships. After all, there will always be a need for smaller ships where space is limited. Panamax ships are decently sized and are narrow enough to fit into tight spaces, which is something that will never be possible with a Post-Panamax ship.

Reading john heald's blog when he was in italy for the naming ceremony of that ship i want to say i read that those ships are actually the same as the splendor...? Maybe conquest? Can't remember now for sure but i do know that those costa ships are the same as one of carnival's ships...

Reading john heald's blog when he was in italy for the naming ceremony of that ship i want to say i read that those ships are actually the same as the splendor...? Maybe conquest? Can't remember now for sure but i do know that those costa ships are the same as one of carnival's ships...

The Splendor began life as a Costa Concordia class ship but Carnival got the hull...

I don't know if there's any value in building Panamax ships as the expansion of the canal is due to be completed in 2014 with the locks being 180 feet wide.

I suspect that the added value of beamier ships would outweigh the temporary benefit gained by building the narrower, lower capacity ships...

I believe Luminosa and Pacifica are different class ships.

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Shopping/Ships/LU/Default.htm

http://www.costacruise.com/B2C/USA/Shopping/Ships/PA/Default.htm

Luminosa looks similar to Carnival Spirit class; Pacifica looks similar to Carnival Splendor.

To address the OP, while I would love for Carnival to add more Spirit class ships, the money they have spent/will be spending on EOF to update the Fantasy class ships doesn't send the message (to me anyways) that Carnival plans to replace that class any time soon.

Mach...

Just found the blog. 'the italian job' from june 7. In it, he mentions that the costa pacifica and her sister ship the costa luminosa are of the same class as the splendor.

Am i misreading something?

No, the Luminosa is not a Concordia/Splendor class ship, even though both are made by Fincantieri.

BTW, here is my idea.

Innovation Class:

The Innovation Class would consist of five ships: the Carnival Innovation, the Carnival Revolution, the Carnival Prophecy, the Carnival Endeavor, and the Carnival Beauty. They would be based off the Luminosa design.

Despite the fact that the Panama Canal will soon be expanded to allow Post-Panamax ships, there will always be the need for narrower ships, especially in ports that are too small to fit a Post-Panamax ship. This is probably the reason why Costa is introducing the Luminosa Class.

No, the Luminosa is not a Concordia/Splendor class ship, even though both are made by Fincantieri.

BTW, here is my idea.

Innovation Class:

The Innovation Class would consist of five ships: the Carnival Innovation, the Carnival Revolution, the Carnival Prophecy, the Carnival Endeavor, and the Carnival Beauty. They would be based off the Luminosa design.

Despite the fact that the Panama Canal will soon be expanded to allow Post-Panamax ships, there will always be the need for narrower ships, especially in ports that are too small to fit a Post-Panamax ship. This is probably the reason why Costa is introducing the Luminosa Class.

Love it, you have actually named the entire class for them as well. I have to say that my favorite class is the spirit class.

Mach...

Just found the blog. 'the italian job' from june 7. In it, he mentions that the costa pacifica and her sister ship the costa luminosa are of the same class as the splendor.

Am i misreading something?

Perhaps not... the Pacifica is a Concordia class, same hull as the Splendor but the Luminosa is a new class. She's 92,600 GT, 965 ft LOA with a beam of 106 feet.

:)

Perhaps not... the Pacifica is a Concordia class, same hull as the Splendor but the Luminosa is a new class. She's 92,600 GT, 965 ft LOA with a beam of 106 feet.

Mach, more importantly, in any of your conversations with people at Carnival, have they expressed any interest in a smaller class of ships? It seems like most out there, the tendencies are for larger and larger (Carnival has resisted the mega liners that we see out there or coming). I understand that the Dream and Magic are coming (and highly anticipated and welcomed), especially with new innovative and creative ideas. It seems most recently (even though Celebration and soon to be Holiday are leaving) that there has been and continues to be a commitment to the Fantasy class. Thoughts?

Love the names of the innovation class! Well... Except the prophecy. That one would be too much for some hard core religionists i would think... I imagine protests and all sorts of craziness at that one.

Yeah in reading the blog again i assumed the pacifica and luminosa were of the same class... The words sister ship tripped me up. My bad.

Carnival still sails the holiday class... While true the holiday is soon to be no longer with carnival, it shows they do hold on to their ships. And the fantasy class is not really that old. Squeaker and i were on the elation for our honeymoon in april and she was spotless... Out of drydock a few months with the partial evolutions of fun upgrade.

Love the names of the innovation class! Well... Except the prophecy. That one would be too much for some hard core religionists i would think... I imagine protests and all sorts of craziness at that one.

Yeah in reading the blog again i assumed the pacifica and luminosa were of the same class... The words sister ship tripped me up. My bad.

Carnival still sails the holiday class... While true the holiday is soon to be no longer with carnival, it shows they do hold on to their ships. And the fantasy class is not really that old. Squeaker and i were on the elation for our honeymoon in april and she was spotless... Out of drydock a few months with the partial evolutions of fun upgrade.

Well, the Elation is 8 years newer than the Fantasy despite being in the same class. In fact, the Elation and the Paradise are in fact newer than the Destiny, Carnival's first Post-Panamax ship.

Well, the Elation is 8 years newer than the Fantasy despite being in the same class. In fact, the Elation and the Paradise are in fact newer than the Destiny, Carnival's first Post-Panamax ship.

True, the main issue (if you can even call it that) with some of the older Fantasy class of ships, is specifically balconies (IMHO). I was just on the Imagination (last time on was 11 years ago). Loved the ship love the fantail, HATED the fact that they only way I could get a balcony was suite. Since going on the Imagination (the 1st time, until this time) I have had at least a balcony every cruise......I love them. The two times I went on a Fantasy class (other than this last time) I had a suite.

Carnival was very aggressive in ship building for an extended period of time, and very active now as well. I can understand the opposite side of the coin that says they still want/need to get return on those huge investments in the Fantasy class ships (especially the Paradise and Elation).

Mach, more importantly, in any of your conversations with people at Carnival, have they expressed any interest in a smaller class of ships? It seems like most out there, the tendencies are for larger and larger (Carnival has resisted the mega liners that we see out there or coming). I understand that the Dream and Magic are coming (and highly anticipated and welcomed), especially with new innovative and creative ideas. It seems most recently (even though Celebration and soon to be Holiday are leaving) that there has been and continues to be a commitment to the Fantasy class. Thoughts?

Just some cursory chats about ships in general... Everyone that I've talked to at Carnival has agreed that the smaller ships certainly do have a place, and a strong place at that.

To the best of my knowledge there are no plans to build a smaller class of ships. Consider that out of all the new builds only Seabourn is building a 'smaller' vessel although one could argue that the Luminosa is 'smaller'...

I'll ask again and see if anyone wants to say anything interesting...

I heard from the folks in Miami...

Just the two Dream Class ships working now. No plans they're interested in discussing beyond that...

Well, I am guessing it is probably due to the current economy. Once economic conditions improve, we could perhaps see some new ships again.

I agree that smaller ships definately have a place, otherwise Carnival wouldn't have even ordered the Spirit Class. Panamax-size ships are already quite large, but not too large.

At least it is good to know that the Spirit Class design isn't dead. Hopefully we can see a Luminosa Class ship in the Carnival fleet soon.

Well, I am guessing it is probably due to the current economy. Once economic conditions improve, we could perhaps see some new ships again.

I agree that smaller ships definately have a place, otherwise Carnival wouldn't have even ordered the Spirit Class. Panamax-size ships are already quite large, but not too large.

At least it is good to know that the Spirit Class design isn't dead. Hopefully we can see a Luminosa Class ship in the Carnival fleet soon.

We've been on both Spirit class and Vista class and have to say we really like them both. The size and layouts are great and certainly would not mind seeing Carnival bring more of that into the fleet. Bigger isn't always better.

Considering that Carnival imported a Costa Concordia hull it wouldn't surprise me if a Luminosa Class showed up somewhere along the way...

I heard from the folks in Miami...

Just the two Dream Class ships working now. No plans they're interested in discussing beyond that...

Thanks for inquiring. I can understand their decision. Who knows what will happen in the future.

Thanks for inquiring. I can understand their decision. Who knows what will happen in the future.

Ya' but I doubt if Carnival will change their formula... you can't argue with success...

There are no mass market lines that are tending toward smaller ships... again, unless you consider the Luminosa smaller...

Ya' but I doubt if Carnival will change their formula... you can't argue with success...

There are no mass market lines that are tending toward smaller ships... again, unless you consider the Luminosa smaller...

Of course, I don't think we will ever be seeing a new sub-Panamax sized ship anymore. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of another Panamax sized ship considering that Costa came out with the Luminosa.

Shipbuilding IMO should NOT follow a razor-and-blades business model. Bigger isn't always better; there will always be a place for smaller ships. After all, the larger Destiny Class was introduced before the Spirit Class.

As everyone should know, I much prefer the layout of the Spirit Class ships over the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor/Dream Class. The layout has a more efficient people flow. The Luminosa continues on this efficient layout.

Of course, I don't think we will ever be seeing a new sub-Panamax sized ship anymore. However, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of another Panamax sized ship considering that Costa came out with the Luminosa.

Shipbuilding IMO should NOT follow a razor-and-blades business model. Bigger isn't always better; there will always be a place for smaller ships. After all, the larger Destiny Class was introduced before the Spirit Class.

As everyone should know, I much prefer the layout of the Spirit Class ships over the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor/Dream Class. The layout has a more efficient people flow. The Luminosa continues on this efficient layout.

Per my previous post, I for one, agree with you so I hope you don't feel alone. :)

I have not been unhappy with anything they have done to date. Love the changes to the Splendor, regardless as to where the hull came from.. I am sure I will love the Dream (and Magic) as well.

Carnival is spending big bucks on the Fantasy class ships to upgrade them and extend their life. These ships were built especially for the three and four day trade and are incredibly efficient for their trade. I don't see them going away for quite a while.

Doc

Carnival is spending big bucks on the Fantasy class ships to upgrade them and extend their life. These ships were built especially for the three and four day trade and are incredibly efficient for their trade. I don't see them going away for quite a while.

Doc

Doc, these were mainstay ships in the 90s... I sailed on a 7 day cruise on the Inspiration in the late 90s and she was GREAT!

We've recently seen a return to the 7 day formula for the Fantasy class when the Swine Flu reared it's ugly head.

These ships are WELL capable of longer voyages.

The former Celebration, now the Grand Celebration, is doing trans Atlantic sailings from Spain to South America as the first ship of the IberoCruise fleet.

It's not the capability of the ship... it's the demands of the market...

Well, what I personally like about the Spirit Class ships is that they are well designed and are packed with amenities despite being smaller than the Destiny/Conquest/Splendor/Dream Class ships.

I don't see why anyone would prefer the clumsy, outdated layout of the Destiny Class and their derivatives by having the dining hall split by a galley, rather than having the galley below the dining hall. The Spirit Class layout has a superior people flow. The Luminosa maintains this layout.

In a way, you can consider the Luminosa an upgrade to the Spirit Class in a similar way that the Concordia/Splendor Class ships were an upgrade to the Conquest Class. However, the Luminosa also incorporates design features of the Vista Class, although from what I have seen, it appears to be more based off the Spirit Class than the Vista Class.

Archived