Pool Scene

Is there more than one pool on Mariner of the Seas? Is it difficult to get a lounge chair? I don't know why, but I'm imagining a very small pool area with not enough deck chairs. Is this the case? Also, can you go to lunch DR with a swim cover-up? Or, is it more expectable to change?

www.rccl.com will show you thw exact layout of the ship.

If you are talking about the main dining room, yes it is expectable to change, and swimsuits are not appropriate. A cover-up is perfectly acceptable in the Windjammer.

The issue of chairs is often discussed here; there are many "chair hogs", especially on sea days. Even with the inconsiderate "hogs", there are plenty of chairs; not always next to the pool, but nearby. We have never had a problem finding a decent location.

Ken

And shoes, or flip flops are OK too....................I can say this about the pool's................There will be 750 people by the pool and not to gloat, my pool in my private back is about the same size or a tad bit bigger, and it is just Bill and I.............so needless to say the pool on the ships are not a big deal to me...................

Have fun though

Happy sailing

MIke

The only cruise line that has a problem with not enough lounge chairs is Carnival. The rest of them always have had more than enough chairs around the pool.

This is not true.

There are more than enough lounge chairs. In fact, you can always see stacks of them unused.

It is deck space that is the issue on all ships. Everyone on board can't all be sitting on the 50 yard line.

As long as you don't have to be right next to the pool, there are plenty of chairs. There are several sun decks overlooking the pool, and it's easier to separate the lounge chairs (around the pool, they're wedged in so tightly, that you have to CRAWL onto the chair!) so you have a little space!

Yes, the Windjammer is the buffet area. As to where "most" eat their breakfast and lunch, I can't pass judgment on that.

There is the Main (a/k/a Formal) Dining Room as well. As in, tablecloths and waitstaff. They're open for breakfast every day and for lunch on sea days. And dinner every night, of course! Shorts are OK at breakfast and lunch in the MDR, but not at dinner. Swimsuits with coverups are never OK.

Even if a coverup were appropriate for the Main Dining Room, you'd want to wear something more. It was always kind of cold in the MDR. I would always bring a sweater to dinner.

Is the Windjammer cool too? It would be nice to throw on a tank-top and shorts and not feel to cold. Rather not shower (suntan lotion) and get fully dressed just for lunch. And, I would not to caught dead in just a bathing suit at lunch, so no worries there:D.

Is the Windjammer cool too? It would be nice to throw on a tank-top and shorts and not feel to cold. Rather not shower (suntan lotion) and get fully dressed just for lunch. And, I would not to caught dead in just a bathing suit at lunch, so no worries there:D.

Shorts and a t-shirt over a dry bathing suit will be fine in the WJ for a quick bite to eat. BTW, you would not be allowed into the WJ in just a bathing suit! We usually pop in, get a plate of food, and take it back out by the pool to eat.

How secure are personal items lying on deck chairs around the pool area?

I wouldn't leave my iPod or camera laying on my chair out in the open. That said I'm perfectly fine leaving my beach bag, towel, book, etc. on the chair - with my electronics tucked inside - and quickly running to lunch, the restroom, or into the pool.

For the most part, the other passengers aren't messing with personal belongings if you're only gone for a short time. And you can always ask a neighbor if they'll be there long enough to keep an eye on your stuff.

Pool attendants may also decide to enforce the "no saving chairs" rule and move stuff.

As with all things, your milage may vary. Maybe I've been super lucky!

-----

re: WJ & Lunch - I usually do what the prev. poster does - grab lunch in the WJ and eat it by the pool. We've also gotten Johnny Rockets "to go" and eaten by the pool. They will come pick up cups and plates and such for you.

Archived