when to cruise Alaska

sooboo

I am looking at booking a cruise next year to Alaska. I can see that they cruise between April and September but just wondered what would be the best time to go for getting the best out of the region. I will probably book with Holland America as it seems that they have smaller ships, would you agree.

Thanks to everyone for any help they can give.

June is considered peak time for Alaska travel. April-May can be quite cool to cold; September can be rainy.

An advantage in June are the very long days, particularly as you get farther north in Alaska. If you are also doing a land tour, for example, and get to Fairbanks, you'll find it light enough to walk around at 3 in the morning!

I've not cruised on HAL so can't speak to the size of the ships. But almost any trip to Alaska is worth doing. We've been 3 times, and hope to go again soon.

I have been to Alaska at different times. July and August do have the best weather but they also have the most tourists. If your schedule is flexible consider going earlier in the season, May, or towards the end, September. You'll have less crowds.

Keith

We cruised July 4th weekend and September. The mountains were snow capped on the first cruise. Very little snow in Sept. It rained part of the time on both cruises.

We did an Alaska cruise last year that begun around May 22nd. The weather varied from 70 - 85 degrees. This year, during a similiar timeframe the weather was in the 70's. If a poll were taken, you would find that late May -- early June is the absolute best time to cruise.

However, if you are travelling with children, mid-June and beyond is better (for passengers with children -- no one else):o

Seriously, no one can forecast the weather. . . . but, the past couple of years clearly show the weather in late Spring - early Summer is the best.

Here's a vote for May, either 3rd or 4th week.

Our first time we went in August--very nice weather, lots of people, fares were high due to being in peak season.

Our second time up was in May-what a difference: fresh snow still on the mountains, crisp fresh air, lower fares, less people and weather was great.

We've been back 4 more times, all in May, once during the first week, once during second week and twice during the third week. We have found the third week or fourth week to be the best because the whales have arrived by then and the weather has been consistently good, averaging only a half to one rainy day in the week. Of course, it can rain anytime in Alaska-just be prepared for it.

Whenever you decide to go, you will not be disappointed. Alaska is wonderful!

Also, we have always cruised with HAL to Alaska and we prefer the R & S class ships, about 1,200 to 1,400 passengers, versus the Vista class ships (Zuiderdam, Noordam, Westerdam, Oosterdam), which are much larger. However, the Vistas do have more verandah cabins. But, any HAL ship is fine, IMO.

Hope you have a great cruise! :)

From what the Captain of our ship, Infinity, to Alaska last year told me, late July thru August is the best time to sail there if your itinerary includes a stop at a glacier. Before then there is too much ice floating around to get close to one and after, as mentioned above, it even gets rainier.

If you are wanting to see bears and salmon, my understanding is that you have to go from mid July to mid August. We were dissappointed when we went in May because we didn't see much wildlife, so we are planning to go back on a later month.

We have traveled several times to Alaska and have found the cruises at the beginning of the season to be the best for us. There are less people and that is becoming a major problem in cruising to Alaska. The weather is not all that bad and we don't consider a few cold days to be counted as ba weather. The snow and ice will be at its nicest as winter is just leaving. If you wait until late in the season the snow has melted and the ice becomes dirty.:)

Archived