Anyone else creeped-out by Coki beach? Better alternatives? e.g. Megans Bay / Trunk?

mikeerdas

Coki is one of my favorite beaches too. I have lived on St John in the past, so I've had the pleasure of seeing most of the beaches. When I travel, I like to get a feel for the island and culture there. You get this at Coki. If you dont want anything or to be bothered, politely decline. Any tropical location you visit will have vendors, some more than others, but tourism is backbone of this islands economy. Coki has something for everyone. Coral World, Drinks, Snorkeling and Scuba. It depends on what you are looking for, STT and STJ have a perfect beach for everyone, you just have to do your research.

For those of you who feel like it's dirty or the shacks are unsightly, remember the Islanders have a simple way of live and are happy with keeping things casual. Coki is undergoing a renovation of it's Vendor area and bathrooms. It will have more of a boardwalk feel, without taking anything away from the beach itself. The upgrade will be completed sometime next season.

Just wondering as I have never been to Trunk Bay - are there bathrooms and places to eat and drink along the beach?

Bathrooms, food stand with things like hotdogs, burgers, fries, chips, drinks- including beer, chair rental, snorkel rental.

I will see what I can find for pictures looking toward the shore. If you go to our travel photos in my signature there may be some pics on the Adventure 2008 page.

Edited by love2vacation

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The restrooms, showers (clean and modern), snack bar and rental places are beyond the fringe of trees lining the beach. (see first picture) Makes for a very unspoiled view! When we where there the sea birds where pretty aggressive - one swooped down and grabbed a sandwich right out of a women's hand! Very clever bird and the women got a real kick out of it. They are obviously used to being fed but didn't really bother us too much as we ate at the piciic tables by the snack bar.

The second picture was taken from the road above after leaving the beach.

Thanks for posting the pictures....We like checking out different beaches each time in port. LOVED Coki beach - too bad its getting a bad rap on these boards. But if in port only 9 hours - how much time is spent in travelling to Trunk Bay. I have heard bus, ferry (that only runs once an hour) Is it worth spending the time getting to and from there?

I agree. When we were at Coki beach there were non-stop drug deals going on in the shacks behind us. Nice.

We snorkelled out around and to the left and my husband almost drowned with the high waves trying to swim back to shore.

Then we missed our ship that day with the intense traffic coming back. 11 cruise ships in that day - so crowded and cut it too close.

We can laugh about it now but would like to erase that whole day.

I agree. When we were at Coki beach there were non-stop drug deals going on in the shacks behind us. Nice.

We can laugh about it now but would like to erase that whole day.

Love2Vacation, thanks for posting the pictures. Sprockie, I'm sorry for your troubles. If true, I can't say I'm at all surprised about the activity in the shacks.

Haven't yet heard an unkind thing yet about Trunk Bay--except for potential transport inconvenience. There are always trade-offs in life and I'd rather lose some snorkel time for a safer-feeling and more pristine experience with great views to and from shore and a place to lock-up my stuff. For those who love Coki beach and feel its a safe place / desirable environment for kids, more power to you. Glad it's something you enjoy.

The most important thing about this thread is that it's good to have a variety of opinions out there so each person can decide for herself what type of beach experience one wants. Like I said, when I researched Coki on CruiseCritic before, I only read positive things. That was an incomplete picture of Coki. So, if this thread helps even a single person out there avoid an experience that would be personally unpleasant to her, then it's done its job.

As for great snorkeling in Coki, I wasn't impressed. Can anyone who's been to both Coki and Trunk Bay comment on the snorkeling itself? Nothing I've seen so far in the Caribbean compares with the snorkeling I've done in Hawaii. I may be forever spoiled by snorkeling in Kona.

Edited by mikeerdas

Thanks for posting the pictures....We like checking out different beaches each time in port. LOVED Coki beach - too bad its getting a bad rap on these boards. But if in port only 9 hours - how much time is spent in travelling to Trunk Bay. I have heard bus, ferry (that only runs once an hour) Is it worth spending the time getting to and from there?

YES!!!!! You will not be sorry. We would actually do it again but we are feeling guilty that we haven't seen anything of St. Thomas. :o

We have docked in St. Thomas twice and both times went right over to St. John. I suggest - Take a taxi to Red Hook - there are open air ones that cost less and then the short 20 minute ferry across to St. John. We have taken the 45-50 inute ferry and will never do it again.

Have a great time!

We visited Coki Beach this pass December on the AOS. We toured with Godfrey Tours. I agree that facing the ocean is a very beautiful sight. However if you look behind you, you get the feeling your are in the slums. It is a very dirty place with seedy characters. I will not go back to that beach. We rented 3 chairs and was over charged, my DH confronted the sales person after he overheard him charging other people a lower price than what he charged us. DH was given the difference. My DH and I had to get out of the water when we saw this weird looking man starring at our DD(16) who looks 13 for a period of time. He kept his eyes on her and our belongings in the chair next to her and moved towards her very slow. When we got out of the water and walked towards her, the man left. The bathroom/changing room was very filthy. I would rather pay for entrance to a beautiful clean beach than go to a place where I feel unsafe.

Love2Vacation, thanks for posting the pictures.

As for great snorkeling in Coki, I wasn't impressed. Can anyone who's been to both Coki and Trunk Bay comment on the snorkeling itself? Nothing I've seen so far in the Caribbean compares with the snorkeling I've done in Hawaii. I may be forever spoiled by snorkeling in Kona.

You are quite welcome.

As for the snorkeling- our ship friends did not think the snorkeling at Trunk was as good as what they had in Curacau or other spots around the Caribbean. There is an underwater snorkel trail but they observed that some of the coral was damaged probably by other snorkelers. They are avid snorkelers. I can say that I walked out in the water just a bit (calf heigth) and hundreds of little fish swarmed around me. :D It was a wonderful experience.

St. John is very mush worth the trip because most of the island is a National Park and just so unspoiled. We have been to Hawksnest Beach as well and there are other beaches too.

Trunk bay does have very nice showers, changing area and lockers. I am VERY picky about restrooms and showers so and I did not have a problem at Trunk.

You are quite welcome.

As for the snorkeling- our ship friends did not think the snorkeling at Trunk was as good as what they had in Curacau or other spots around the Caribbean. There is an underwater snorkel trail but they observed that some of the coral was damaged probably by other snorkelers. They are avid snorkelers. I can say that I walked out in the water just a bit (calf heigth) and hundreds of little fish swarmed around me. :D It was a wonderful experience.

St. John is very mush worth the trip because most of the island is a National Park and just so unspoiled. We have been to Hawksnest Beach as well and there are other beaches too.

Trunk bay does have very nice showers, changing area and lockers. I am VERY picky about restrooms and showers so and I did not have a problem at Trunk.

What can you tell me about Hawksnest?Is the snorkeling good here as well? Are there bathroom or food at Hawksnest? Looking at an alternative beach with snorkeling,bathrooms, some snacks,drinks,. Been to Trunk and loved it, just wanted to try a different beach. Do you know anything about Caneel? Thanks for the help.

http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Beaches/beach_home.html

Here is a ink to beach guides for St. John.

Seems like a lot of good information.

We had our vow renewal at Hawksnest Beach so I can't personally vouch for any of the facilities! :o It is a lovely quiet beach. I think Cinnamon Bay may have more in the way of facilities. It will be on our "list" to try next time.

Edited by love2vacation

We went to Coki based on the many positive reviews. Our experience was not good. We were very disappointed with snorkeling and the bathrooms were disgusting the day we visited.

What really scared us and ultimately caused us to leave was when a fight broke out between two locals. They tumbled out onto the beach falling on a woman. Then one returned with a bat, right out on the beach. We, along with a few others, packed up at that point.

We will be visiting Sapphire or Megan's beach next time.

Edited by Sheal

We went to Coki based on the many positive reviews. Our experience was not good. We were very disappointed with snorkeling and the bathrooms were disgusting the day we visited.

What really scared us and ultimately caused us to leave was when a fight broke out between two locals. They tumbled out onto the beach falling on a woman. Then one returned with a bat, right out on the beach. We, along with a few others, packed up at that point.

We will be visiting Sapphire or Megan's beach next time.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Still not a single negative experience reported at Trunk Bay. There must be one out there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise on Freedom of the Seas which included an excursion to Trunk Bay. We loved it. It is one of my all time favorite snorkeling spots (sorry - I can't comment on Hawaii - haven't been there). I really appreciate the comments regarding Coki beach. I'm sure I won't try it. I love the beautiful, quiet, serene feel that you get at Trunk Bay. I'm definitely not into the local experience that seems to be prevalent at Coki beach. I haven't uploaded my pictures yet - still unpacking, but my experience is very similar to the one you saw posted by love2vacation. Beautiful!

• 11 months later...

So sad. We have been to Coki Beach quite a few times and I have to say that it always gave me a creepy feeling. What a shame because the beach itself is so beautiful, the place is relatively easy to get to, and the snorkeling is great. I hope this will be a wake-up call for the local government to clean up this place. Without significant improvement, I would not dare to return to this place again.

Coki is the only beach we've ever been to in St. Thomas and while I realize it's not super clean, I have never had a problem there and we love the dive club there. We are cruising again in January and had decided to try something new, Sapphire Beach looks like the winner however a trip to Trunk isn't out of the question. We had planned to rent a car, make our beach/dive/snorkel stop and then tour the island at leisure. I'm not usually a worrier, however in ligh of recent events I'm not sure if we should be drivig by ourselves, where we could accidently end up somewhere we shouldnt be. . . . but this is really what we want to do:(

To the OP ~ FYI Meagan's Beach while beautiful doesn't have snorkeling, or so I've read many times on CC.

JMO, but have you tried going to Iggie's Beach Bar at the Bolongo Bay resort? If you go near the rocks there are plenty of different colorful fish. I believe I read on another thread that they will rent you a lounge chair for a minimal fee. I really don't think it is worth the effort of talking the ferry and then cab if one has a short time because you are on a cruise ship. Don't get me wrong, Hawknest is gorgeous, but the facilities are more like portapotties, and no food or water is sold. Cinnamon Bay also gorgeous, not to sure about the snorkeling, but when we were there last week, a man almost drowned, my husband and other bathers had to pull him out, he was unconscious and breathly shallow, there are no lifeguards on duty, even though it is a National Park. Trunk Bay is gorgeous, but there is an admission charge, not sure about lifeguards, and as previously mentioned the coral is all broken and there is not much to see on the trails.

I like Coki. I have always been asked about renting chairs, but no real hassles. It is that way at most beaches. Locals trying to get you to rent chairs etc.

I know Meagans is listed as one of the 10 best beaches but I wasn't impressed. Maybe just a bad day.

• 7 years later...

I've been to St.Thomas many times in the past, been to Coki Beach before.

People were commenting how they haven't recovered from the storm. Nope, Coki Beach is in a poor area and has always looked that way. The community chooses not to clean itself up.

The Beach itself and the snorkeling are OK , Just OK , the rest is typical tourist trap.

I didn't see the sign at the port that says prices to beach... before getting into any taxi... find that sign and take a picture of it with your cell phone.

There were guys smoking and selling pot right on the beach, if you're into that fine, if you don't want to deal with it, don't go to coki beach.

typical tourist trap fashion, they approach you about waiting on you, pass and go the the bar yourself... the drinks they bring you from "their bar" have little if any alcohol ... if you walk 100 feet to the bar, watch them make your drinks, they will be better and you'll actually get your drink... waiting on them usually was 15-20 minutes to get a drink.

we had 3 small groups with us, every other beach we have been to, they let you pay as you go... waitress ( if that's what you call her ), would not let you pay as you go... lol... of course not, that way she can't add drinks or change prices on you...

buckets of beer were $20 on the menu and frozen drinks were $10 on the menu... end of day, buckets of beer were $25 and frozen drinks were $12 on the menu... little did she know, our tips would have more than compensated her... padding the bill...

Coki Beach is a nice enough beach in a run down little area of st. thomas... I can't see that changing as it's been 8 years and it hasn't changed...

Spend your time and money elsewhere

• 2 weeks later...