"Class Wars" on the ships--Diamond+ folk, Carnival haters, etc

Carnival vs Royal. Its more a money issue.

Carnival = Walmart of cruises. Usually the cheapest line, so it attracts those people on a budget. College students, families with little kids, and maybe lower to middle class (maybe under $50k/year).

Royal = still a mass marketed cruise but a more refined and a little more elegant. Attracts middle class to upper class ($50k-$125k/year) as well as families with older kids. Definately not wealthy though.

Is this an opinion? What tree did you extract this from?

Let me start off by saying......I OVERTIP!! Now, it's not because I'm loaded (I certainly am not) but because I had to work for my family in the hotel business as a youngster and have a deep appreciation for those working in the tourist industry. I have also found that the service on the RCCL ships is excellent and I want to show my appreciation.

Now...something about class and the OP's original statement about sitting at the table in the MDR with snobs.......

We just returned from our first cruise as "diamonds" and were given a key to the CL. It was a 12 night cruise and we didn't go to the CL for several days. We frequented the diamond annex and found the people to be a happy group who were very friendly...and most of them were D+ and could have been spending their time in the CL. About half way through the cruise we decided to see what the CL key offered and went to the lounge for a cup of morning coffee. Upon entering, looking around, and pleasantly stating to the "C" that it was our first time in the lounge we were shocked when we were given a look down the nose and a "I can tell". This was quickly followed by her returning to her computer screen. She continued with her computer and phone the entire time we were in the lounge and never introduced herself or even looked our way. What a contrast to the atmosphere in the "diamond annex". That was the first and last time we entered that CL. I can't stand being around employees who think they are better than the paying guests because they have been assigned a position as server in a "higher class" location.

Back to tipping.....the bartenders in the diamond annex got a VERY nice tip. The "C" got rid of her excess baggage...us.

I am a Diamond member who is knocking on the D+ door with 21 credits. I am in my low 30's and DW and I have no kids.

We live within driving distance of all Florida ports, therefore our cruise rates are substantially cheaper due to the lack of airfare (although, parking is now 15-20 dollars a day :rolleyes:).

I do not hate Carnival. The cruise line just does not appeal to me.

I don't see a Carnival cruise on your list of cruises. How do you know it wouldn't appeal to you? You might be surprised!:)

Anyone else sick to death of these "My cruise line is better than yours" posts? The obsessiveness is a little disturbing....one, that people would make such comments....and two, that people would actually be offended by them.

What causes people to be offended is the implication that your favorite line is looked down on due to a perception of a bunch of hillbilly rednecks being the only people who sail on it. All of this line of thinking is really quite silly when you think about it. After all, cruising is not cheap when compared to the cost of going camping or spending time in a museum or amusement park.

On the other extreme, there is the implication that other cruiselines cater to the snobby, wealthy people. First, anyone's money is as good as anyone else's in the eyes of a business. Second, lots of wealthy people are not snobby. So, these people also get offended by those types of comments.

People choose a cruise for many reasons. For some it is definitely the price, which doesn't mean that a person that chooses by price doesn't have wealth. It is probably the main reason that person still has their wealth - they watch their expenses. For others, it is the ambience - some want a very formal Titanic experience (without the sinking of course). That's fine. Some want a party atmosphere. Some want to simply relax. Others love their Disney characters. This is why you will see differences in the lines. That doesn't mean one is bad & one is good. They are different to appeal to all the different people's idea of a vacation.

The people who post on these boards do have one thing in common - they all cruise. Don't forget what brought everyone together in the first place. Now, let's all just play nice.

Don't forget what brought everyone together in the first place. Now, let's all just play nice.

You are correct. Unfortunately, it will not happen. There are way too many fashion police, signature police, cheerleaders, pot stirrers, trash talkers, etc , etc. But I digress. That's the internet for you.

This Carnival bashing is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have read on the RCCL site. I'm sure I'll see and meet less than perfect people on RCCL also. We have been on 4 CCL cruises and as I said earlier have met many wonderful people. I have yet to see a wife beater on anyone. People dress up, very nicely, I might say for dinner. I saw very good manners and met very nice people. I happen to know someone who was on a large family cruise in the last few weeks on, gasp, a Carnival cruise and he makes more money than any of you probably ever hope to. He could easily afford to go as upscale as they come, but chose something that makes financial sense. And, you would never know that he is wealthy.

I saw a "wife beater" on Royal Caribbean once.....literally! :eek: On our first Royal Caribbean cruise, a man in the cabin near us beat the woman with him...beat her bloody. He was "arrested" and had security posted at his door all night. The next morning, Miami police came on board and handcuffed him and took him away.

I didn't let that incident keep me from cruising Royal again. :)

Have to agree with the point of your post completely. People get upset because they can sometimes feel insulted personally when people are bashing and say only ______ fill in the blank, sail on THAT line.

This Carnival bashing is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have read on the RCCL site. I'm sure I'll see and meet less than perfect people on RCCL also. We have been on 4 CCL cruises and as I said earlier have met many wonderful people. I have yet to see a wife beater on anyone. People dress up, very nicely, I might say for dinner. I saw very good manners and met very nice people. I happen to know someone who was on a large family cruise in the last few weeks on, gasp, a Carnival cruise and he makes more money than any of you probably ever hope to. He could easily afford to go as upscale as they come, but chose something that makes financial sense. And, you would never know that he is wealthy.

I agree!:)

Carnival = Walmart of cruises. Usually the cheapest line, so it attracts those people on a budget. College students, families with little kids, and maybe lower to middle class (maybe under $50k/year).

Royal = still a mass marketed cruise but a more refined and a little more elegant. Attracts middle class to upper class ($50k-$125k/year) as well as families with older kids. Definately not wealthy though.

Our annual household income is more than double what you think the Carnival demographic is, but we still sail Carnival. So there goes that.

We're upper middle class. There goes that.

No college students left in my family (though I'm considering going back to finish my Masters soon). There goes that.

No little children in my family. The youngest is my "little" sister at age 23. There goes that.

Why we sail Carnival has nothing to do with money. When we booked our first cruise, Carnival was actually more expensive than RCCL. When we booked our Princess cruise, it was actually significantly less expensive than our previous two Carnival cruises. If we were cruising based on what we could get for our money, we'd probably be sailing Cunard or Holland. We sail Carnival because they keep providing us with great cruise experiences. It's comfortable for us. And we sail with our grandma, who is in a wheelchair, and we know and are comfortable with the accessibility on the Carnival ships.

Which 100% explains the gdamn tip police on these boards, and worse, the MULTITUDE of posters who canNOT go without saying, "We always tip more than the recommended." It's almost at the point of happening when the thread has NOTHING to do with tipping!!!

-How's the weather in the Caribbean in January?

-Well, since we always tip above the recommended amount, it's pretty warm year-round.**

-Can I bring alcohol onto an RCI ship?

-Only if you tip an extra $10 in Portofino. Per person. You know, like we do.

(**okay I cracked myself up a little here...)

you cracked me up too!

This is Barbara. Dennis Mays passed away in April.

We cruised once on NCL. I am diamond plus and have only cruised the rest of my

64 cruises on RCCL and also only to Mexico!

I would never cruise Carnival because of logistics in boarding the ship. It leaves

out of Long Beach and is very difficult for me to park and board from the Spruce

Goose area since I have to use a scooter to get around.

Just to share a story about CLASS. We were on Song of America for 15 cruises

before she was sold. We were seated with a family of 6 from Beverly Hills. The

head of the family in conversation asked us if we were OLD money or NEW money.

Well, being the quiet and reserved person I am, I stated that we were NO MONEY.

After dinner I said to Dennis that either they would move, or they would ask that

we be moved. SO the next night six new people were at our table. The head

maitre D (a friend of ours) told us that the family didnt want to sit with "riff raff"

and we all had a good laugh about it.

Diamond and working class ( proud to be )

I enjoy tipping hard workers or people that go out of their way to help me.

Maybe it was just the way i was brought up.

And to all the tight people you can't take it with you lol lol

jj......

What's really "too bad" is people who bash Carnival and have never sailed on one of their ships.....or haven't for 20-25 years. They are simply parroting things they have heard.....

Carnival didn't get where they are by having a certain "reputation" you might be referring to. Having just completed my 64th on a Carnival ship' date=' my first at 35, my last at 68, I can say with experience, they do a bang up job....and everyone has a great time....from the youngest to the grannies......!!!!![/quote']

I agree. I have cruised RCCL, Carnival and Princess and haven't noticed any differences in people cruising on the ships. If you go in with a good attitude.......I don't know how you couldn't have a great time on any of these lines.:)

You're kidding right? Not just us but plenty of people we have met on board Carnival make more than your statement says. DH and I definitely make more than either of your above statements. It's not a money issue. I know blue collar that cruise both and white collar that cruise both. CEO's and entry level tradesmen cruise both lines.

Just because you said it doesn't make it true, not by a long shot.

This is Barbara. Dennis Mays passed away in April.

We cruised once on NCL. I am diamond plus and have only cruised the rest of my

64 cruises on RCCL and also only to Mexico!

I would never cruise Carnival because of logistics in boarding the ship. It leaves

out of Long Beach and is very difficult for me to park and board from the Spruce

Goose area since I have to use a scooter to get around.

Just to share a story about CLASS. We were on Song of America for 15 cruises

before she was sold. We were seated with a family of 6 from Beverly Hills. The

head of the family in conversation asked us if we were OLD money or NEW money.

Well, being the quiet and reserved person I am, I stated that we were NO MONEY.

After dinner I said to Dennis that either they would move, or they would ask that

we be moved. SO the next night six new people were at our table. The head

maitre D (a friend of ours) told us that the family didnt want to sit with "riff raff"

and we all had a good laugh about it.

And I bet you had a much better time with your new tablemates. I just do not like snobs.

Ok, here's the real deal. No matter what your income, everyone has allocations for expenditures. Think about it. You see people who drive really nice cars, but don't give a flip about where they live. The reverse is also true - people who have a nice home or live in what is considered a "good" area but drive a 10 year old car. The women who spend loads on purses & shoes, but buy the cheap generic cleaning supplies. Or the women like me, who spend less on clothing & accessories, but by golly gotta have charmin toilet paper & bounty paper towels! Everyone tends to have an idea of what they're willing to spend on things. I don't think I could ever spend $50000 on a vehicle without getting a stomach ache over it. My neighbor may drop that much & never think twice. People are quite amusing & interesting if you really look at all our little idiosyncracies.

Where did you get these statistics? This sounds more like something you just THINK is true. I cruise both lines. If the above is true, I can't tell it. I see very little difference in the two lines or the people who cruise them.

And to all the tight people you can't take it with you lol lol

jj......

I can and I will - hmm...... don't actually think there will be that much left to take, as my Old Age Pension is only £104 per week!! LOL LOL LOL

Which 100% explains the gdamn tip police on these boards, and worse, the MULTITUDE of posters who canNOT go without saying, "We always tip more than the recommended." It's almost at the point of happening when the thread has NOTHING to do with tipping!!!

-How's the weather in the Caribbean in January?

-Well, since we always tip above the recommended amount, it's pretty warm year-round.**

-Can I bring alcohol onto an RCI ship?

-Only if you tip an extra $10 in Portofino. Per person. You know, like we do.

(**okay I cracked myself up a little here...)

LOL LOL, you cracked me up too!

The so called "bashing" is just as bad on the Carnival board against Royal Caribbean. Funny how some people only see one side.:rolleyes: Ones wealth has nothing to do with what a person likes or dislikes. Carnival has a reputation that they themselves created. Too bad that they can't live it down. They are the most popular cruise line in the world but not for the reasons that they would like.;) Maybe if more of the Carnival posters would stay on their own board then life would be good.:rolleyes:

We split our time and money on both lines. We enjoy them both. We have met many nice folks on both lines. I would say that many of the RCCL cruisers that we have met look down on Carnival. This has not been the case with Carnival Cruisers. One nice elderly tablemate of ours on the Navigator TA commented , after I said that prior to 2008 we had mostly cruised with Carnival, that we must have outgrown them. I also read both the CCL Boards and the RCCL boards and there seems to me to be more Carnival bashing here(see above quote) than RCCL bashing there.

I'm a long time RCCL cruiser... We have tried other lines...

Disney was GREAT

Celebrity was fantastic

Princess was a little geriatric

Carnival - we hit bad weather on an older ship

RCI - From Song of America through the Soveriegns, Majesties and Monarchs, to the Explorers, Adventurers, and Liberties... been on them frequently.

I recently booked a Carnival cruise this fall.

I'm looking forward to it. It's been over a decade since I've sailed aboard a Carnival ship. The reason we chose the line was because of the itinerary.

Belize and Honduras... someplace new we've never been to aboard a cruise ship.

Well, it's cuz you kept doing that *snap* thing referring to one-upping...so Mr. Pete was one-upping you because YOUR alphabet only has 26 letters whereas he's special and can one-up you with a 27-letter alphabet...

It was a joke...

I got it Pete and did a LOL when I read it.

Archived