"Class Wars" on the ships--Diamond+ folk, Carnival haters, etc

I know the RCL board represent a teenie bit of the overall demographics but it just seems that there are ALWAYS the 'classicism' type discussions here that you usually don't find on any of the other boards on cc.com.

Maybe some RCL folks are afraid that something is nipping at their status quo. whatever.

These types of discussions just shows the insecurity of some RCL folks IMO.

I may have spent my money with RCL during my cruising life but I find it funny that it appears that I relate more with the folks from the CCL board than the one's on here.

Maybe, it's because I am more preoccupied with my well being & my happiness than with what others are doing.

The OP was a bit rambling, mixing in questions about Carnival, and Diamond members, so I don't really know what the specific question is.

The frequent customer program is based on number of cruises, not wealth. You could take 10 $129 cruises...spending less than $1,500 (less than some people spend on a single cabin). You don't have to be wealthy to cruise frequently.

If you do 3-4 cruises a year, you can get to diamond status pretty quickly. This is not unreasonable for people who like to take a Friday off, a few times a year, and go out on a cruise for the weekend. For the price of taking someone to a nice restaurant and a show, you can do an entire weekend cruise (complete with the nice restaurant and shows).

I don't know where people get the idea that Carnival is always cheaper. I just priced 5 day cruises on Carnival and RCL. Leaving the exact same date from the same port. Carnival was $739. RCL was $709....a little cheaper than Carnival.

I enjoy both cruise lines.

Maybe some RCL folks are afraid that something is nipping at their status quo. whatever.

These types of discussions just shows the insecurity of some RCL folks

I do not agree with you on this. Yes, the RCI board can be more ravenous, but from what I've seen, much of it is fueled by people jumping over from other cruise line boards (mostly Carnival). There are a small handful of people that are notorius for it.

I read and post on the Carnival board as well. Rarely do I see RCI cheerleaders over there stirring the pot.

I read and post on the Carnival board as well. Rarely do I see RCI cheerleaders over there stirring the pot.

Of course not. But they are here to stir the pot though.

Case of being more receptive here with their own kind no?

I could give a string of names, including one PROLIFIC RCCL cheerleader, but I won't.

But he's been hiding lately all over.

Diamond Plus status? I have mentioned him before, but cruised with a Diamond + who bragged he never spent a cent on board and never tipped. Took cheapest inside cabin available and got to diamond with lots of 3 and 4 day cruises.

So the sterotype is not totally accurate.

Felt like I needed a shower after "conversing" with that low-life.

As for Carnival vs RCI. I make a solid dollar, enough that I fear the new taxes that are coming. We choose RCI and Celebrity....will be on Carnival in two months....have clients who make a ton more than me, they love Carnival... So the $$$ thing does not necessarily apply either.

My wife and I are mostly-Carnival cruisers, with a Princess thrown in there. We thoroughly enjoyed Carnival, and had a not-so-great time on Princess, as the crowd was CONSIDERABLY older than us (we were some of the youngest onboard - 32 YO at the time)....and that was probably due to the fact that the cruise was a 10 day during early March. I have nothing against Princess, I just don't think it may be right for this point in our lives. We always had a great time on Carnival.....sometimes the pool games/contests were a little hokey, but they're trying to appeal to people across the board. We're booked on RCI for Sept 2010 and going with an open mind---hoping to have a great time, but not expecting perfection. I don't believe in being a cheerleader for any particular brand of anything.....everyone is entitled to their opinion....and I think we all know the old saying about opinions.......Let's all just enjoy cruising....whether it be Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL, Costa, MSC, Princess, X, HAL.......whatever.

Just two points.

RCCL ships have a much "classier" decor than the older Carnival ships, which look like leftovers from the 70s in Las Vegas.

Second, the income level of those who cruise is probably more determined by the port of departure, where those who can drive to the port will reflect the income level of the communities in which they live.

Archived