Review - the Mariner returns to Mexico

Thanks for such a detailed review. We may be in the same cabin as you were; we have 7618 on Mariner sailing on 7/19. :D
7618 was my first choice. I was in 7620. Edited by Cuizer2

Thank you for the detailed and informative review! We'll be taking sunset shots on Mariner in one little week :)

If you come back to read the comments... would you please share what type of DSLR you're using?

~gigi

It is a Nikon D60.

The whole steel box thing is what I was worried about. Worried that I might feel cramped. Some people don't even notice the differnce in balconies or notice that the Voyager class first generation has a blue stripe around the bow.

WOW. This has to be the best review I have ever read. You talking so much about your balcony makes me glad that I picked a balcony for my March 2010 cruise to the Southern Caribbean on the Adventure OTS. I will be sure to look out for the car in/on Royal Promenade,LOL:D. Did you have a balcony on the Voyager OTS and if so how would you compare it to the Mariner OTS balconys?

You will love the Caribbean Princess. Went on her in March 2007. But she has been refurbished since then. Can't wait to read your review on her. If I may ask what other ships have you been on? Thank again for the great review.

Oops - I missed your question.

1) Universe Explorer - Alaska - July 1999 - two weeks

2) Carnival Holiday - Baja Mexico - January 2001 - three nights

3) Carnival Pride - Mexican Riviera - May 2004 - one week

4) Navigator OTS - Western Caribbean - August 2004 - one week

5) NCL Star - Mexican Riviera - October 2005 - eight nights

6) Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - April 2006 - one week

7) Freedom OTS - Western Caribbean - June 2007 - one week

8) Monarch OTS - Baja Mexico - December 2007 - three nights

9) NCL Jade - Panama Canal - February 2008 - thirteen nights

10) Serenade OTS - Southern Caribbean - April 2008 - one week

11) Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico - July 2008 - three nights

12) Carnival Victory - Canada - August 2008 - five nights

13) Voyager OTS - Western Caribbean - April 2009 - one week

14) Mariner OTS - Mexican Riviera - June 2009 - one week

Thanks for the review, less than 7 weeks and I'll be doing the same.

Once on board I went to the cabin to drop off my carry on stuff. Though it was only a little after noon, since I have been on several ship tours, I know how to get past the closed doors. In fact, I had someone from security help me find my cabin steward.

Care to Share?

Thanks for the review, less than 7 weeks and I'll be doing the same.

Care to Share?

This is something you have to see demonstrated. I've been on over six ship tours.

Cruizer2,

thanks so much for the detailed review.

I do have a question. You mentioned that you like the cabin cool (I do too)
and set the AC to it's lowest setting. Were you able to get the cabin cool enough? If a temperature setting was visible did it get below 70?:confused:

thanks in advance
The Grateful Dad
Neil

[quote name='pvbsis']Did the Mariner dock in the Marina section of Puerto Vallarta by the Marriott? Thank you for your great review and the pictures.[/quote]

The Mariner docked in the same place the Vision docked. I haven't gotten that far on pictures yet, but here is an older picture of the dock ...

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/ZefH/PuertoVallartadock.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/ZefH/PuertoVallartamarina.jpg[/IMG]

And here is a photo from February 2008 (the Princess ship is docked where the Mariner docked) ...

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/ZefH/NCL%20Jade%202/IMG_3617.jpg[/IMG]

And here is one of the Vision docked in PV in October 2005 (the Mariner uses the same dock) ...

[IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/ZefH/VOS%20leaving%20LA/VOSinPV.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='The Grateful Dad']Cruizer2,

thanks so much for the detailed review.

I do have a question. You mentioned that you like the cabin cool (I do too)
and set the AC to it's lowest setting. Were you able to get the cabin cool enough? If a temperature setting was visible did it get below 70?:confused:

thanks in advance
The Grateful Dad
Neil[/quote]

There are no visible numbers. It was cool enough to be comfortable for me, but at night I would sweat unless I took the heavy blanket off the bed.

I booked this cruise because of the price but would rather cruise the Caribbean because I want to be warm. So would you say outside on sea days it was in the 60's or was that at night. When in the cruise did it get warm/hot and then when did it start to cool back off. Would you need long pants and a sweatshirt do you think?

Haven't checked out the pics yet, will do that at home later, but did you happen to have copies or pics of the daily compasses? Our roll call group has a copy from back in April but are curious if it is all the same now that the Mariner is back in Mexico. A short 7 weeks and we will have our turn!

[quote name='mothwoman']I booked this cruise because of the price but would rather cruise the Caribbean because I want to be warm. So would you say outside on sea days it was in the 60's or was that at night. When in the cruise did it get warm/hot and then when did it start to cool back off. Would you need long pants and a sweatshirt do you think?[/quote]

A little inland in Cabo was hot and PV was hot during the day. It rained in Mazatlan and it was still warm during the day. Tuesday (Cabo) night, Wednesday (Mazatlan) night and Thursday (PV) night were all warm. Sunday (departure) and Saturday (last) nights were both cool (not cold).

[quote name='akcruz']Haven't checked out the pics yet, will do that at home later, but did you happen to have copies or pics of the daily compasses? Our roll call group has a copy from back in April but are curious if it is all the same now that the Mariner is back in Mexico. A short 7 weeks and we will have our turn![/quote]

Yes, I kept all seven Compasses. I can scan them if you want. If you want a copy, it might be best if I e-mail it to you. Send me an e-mail at ZEFH at MSN dot COM and I'll respond. Edited by Cuizer2

[quote name='Cuizer2']Yes, I kept all seven Compasses. I can scan them if you want. If you want a copy, it might be best if I e-mail it to you. Send me an e-mail at ZEFH at MSN dot COM and I'll respond.[/quote]

Thanks! You have mail!