Buyer Beware

panda24

[quote name='spongerob']Why stop there? We could have the CitiBank Princess, Anheuser-Busch Princess...Why, with the revenue that naming rights might generate, we could all cruise for free![/quote]
Please no CitiBank Princess. They can't even pay for Citi Field. The ship will sink as deep as their stock.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=black]I agree, every cruise line does this, the worst recommended stores for us were by RCI in Mexican ports! Some of them were litterly the pits!

However HAL sent us to some really good stores in the Caribbean once!

We just grab the maps outside of the pursers desk after the port talks now.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[B][I][COLOR=seagreen]I agree with everyone that posted that they tried the shopping talks as a newbie and then swore off them.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=#2e8b57]However, we did go to the shopping talks in Asia and they were really informative about the way to bargain and what range of prices one should expect as well as what is allowed by US Customs and what is not allowed. It was much different to shop in Shanghai than in St Thomas. Didn't see a Diamonds Intl anywhere and there are too many Pearl Markets call "The Pearl Market" to count.[/COLOR][/I][/B]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]So, what are all of you going to do about this?[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You have the power![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You just need to be willing to take the time and share with others![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]By Giving back to the CruiseCritic community...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You can post your recommended locally owned businesses throughout the world for other cruisers to see[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]That's why I did on my last cruise to Alaska on our website[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you can read a few of my favorite LOCALLY OWNED places and some are in Skagway! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html"][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]That's why I did on my last cruise to Alaska on our website[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]you can read a few of my favorite LOCALLY OWNED places and some are in Skagway! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL="http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html"][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][URL="http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html"]http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/URL][/quote]

I saw that sign went inside and found nothing but emploees from India. :eek:

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Are you talking about one of the stores in Juneau?[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]There are 2 areas in Caribou Crossings..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]1 is owned by an Anglo Saxon family and they feature of 60 artists/crafts/food people from throughout the state of Alaska[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]The other [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]an Indian Family they have [COLOR=red]lived in Juneau over 20 years[/COLOR], they have 2 kids which are Alaskan natives and the [COLOR=red]wife works year round in the school district[/COLOR]. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]Trust Me, if I'm going to suggest something I do homework[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082]through several sources before I will put it on my website and recommend here. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=indigo][/COLOR]

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]So, what are all of you going to do about this?[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You have the power![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You just need to be willing to take the time and share with others![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]By Giving back to the CruiseCritic community...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You can post your recommended locally owned businesses throughout the world for other cruisers to see[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=#4b0082][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]That's why I did on my last cruise to Alaska on our website[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html"][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]http://ourpassportstamps.com/AlaskaShoppingSnacks.html[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/QUOTE]

Please note it is "The Pike Place Market," not "Pikes Market, or "The Pikes Street Market."
It isn't plural or possessive, as if it ever owned by someone named Pike.
It is named after a street location, as in "the market located at Pike Place, at the foot of Pike Street."

[quote name='DNArocks']We have been on land resorts in cities that cruise ships visit. We are warned by the hotel and business people not to shop on the days that the ships are there. They automatically change prices on those days.

This was one of the reasons why it was so difficult to get my husband on a cruise.

Go ahead and shop, just beware. If you love a piece it may be worth the price. Just understand you are paying an upcharge. Sometimes it is worth it. I simply like being an informed shopper.[/quote]

If you do want to buy something, scope it out early, then come back to buy about an hour before the ship sails. You will find the shop owner is more willing to negotiate!

Some of you people just don't get it, if they don't make money on whatever they can, you just going to be paying higher cruise fare's and they will be building less new ship's, this is after all a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS. Just think of it this way, you can go to Vegas and stay in a really nice hotel for a decent price, and do so even if you don't gamble but, if it were not for the people that gamble you would be staying in a motel 6 because the big fancy hotels are paid for by gambling. Cruise lines must resort to other profit centers to exist, that's the way it is and will always be, so just keep that in mind and stop complaining or stay home if you feel your getting ripped off. They could not stay in business if all they made money on were the cruse fares alone.

[quote name='didisea']Please note it is "The Pike Place Market," not "Pikes Market, or "The Pikes Street Market."
It isn't plural or possessive, as if it ever owned by someone named Pike.
It is named after a street location, as in "the market located at Pike Place, at the foot of Pike Street."[/quote]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Dang![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]My brother has lived in Seattle for quite sometime[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]When I was writing this out, I asked him what the "proper" name was, since I've heard a multitude of variations...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]he said and I quote...put down whatever you want if you have Pike and Market in the same sentence everyone will know what you mean. And after all the hard work and time you put into this, noone would have audacity to correct you publicly, especially since the content benefits so many"[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Didisea..I let him know you have audacity :eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and I also called The Pike Place Market and they confirmed what you said..but also mentioned that it isn't something that they've ever worried about and taken the time to straighten out in news releases. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You can verify on our website the proper and official name is now being used.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]We don't ever just stick to the cruise lines stores. But once I did buy an item from a cruise recommended store. It was an authentic Atocha coin in a gold belize. The gold belize was authentic but the coin was not. With the cruise line's help was able to get a full refund. Was able to purchase a real coin on line, had the belize copied & am real happy with the results.[/FONT]

[quote name='panda24']Just got of the Golden Princess on Saturday and I must admit I was prepared for the upsale with coke, coffee and such however I was a bit surprised at how much Princess actually has their fingers in everything you do.

So we got on the Golden on the 20th and the 21st was a sea day and of course they have all the wonderful information about what to do and enjoy. At first we had a nice little card about an information meeting that would talk about shopping opportunities at the various ports we would be visiting AND they promised free maps of each port. Now never being to any of these places, I thought a map might be useful. Well, we get reminder cards about this meeting, announcements and it's on tv. I should have started thinking hmmm at that point in time. So off to the meeting. Now these maps that they had were not general maps to each port but detailed maps of the shops that Princess suggested you visit b/c they were guaranteed and had the best prices. Are you going hmmm yet? So after 30 minutes (which I really was not expecting the whole thing to last over that time) they were still on places to shop and what to buy at the first port (Juneau). So I left and thought nothing else of it. Until they replayed the entire thing over and over and over on the Princess channel. Then had a follow-up meeting about it and were giving away free charms to come buy and visit the professional shoppers. Really, are you going hmmm yet?

Now being a girl I like to shop and truthfully have been sucessfully doing it for some time. So I popped into several jewelry stores just to see what they had. And surprise I found a ring I really did like. Well just so happened that the professional shopper from Golden was in there and looked at the ring after the salesman had made his "best" offer and assured me it was a good deal. Well I don't like to make hasty uniformed decisions, so what did I do while I was enjoying the port -I called my trusted hometown jeweler and told them the cut, carot - every detail that I had on this ring and it had been written down for me by the salesman. Funny thing was - the shops that Princess had been so pushing us to visit b/c they got the best deals (fewer middle men and such) was asking TWICE what it should have been. Then I started noticing that the shops that weren't Princess certified were the ones that had prices more along the lines of what they should have been.

So my suggestion here is that if you're planning on purchasing jewelry. Do your homework and be an informed shopper.[/quote]

They all do it - NCL does it as well. Got sick of the shopping talks - mummsie

[quote name='where2next'][SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Dang![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]My brother has lived in Seattle for quite sometime[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]When I was writing this out, I asked him what the "proper" name was, since I've heard a multitude of variations...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]he said and I quote...put down whatever you want if you have Pike and Market in the same sentence everyone will know what you mean. And after all the hard work and time you put into this, noone would have audacity to correct you publicly, especially since the content benefits so many"[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]Didisea..I let him know you have audacity :eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]and I also called The Pike Place Market and they confirmed what you said..but also mentioned that it isn't something that they've ever worried about and taken the time to straighten out in news releases. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]You can verify on our website the proper and official name is now being used.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Thank you for your article and my friend and Iwill be checking out the stores you mentioned when we are in Skagway.

Now if I could also get my husband to quit saying "Boeings" and "Alaskan Airlines" my mission would be complete!

Any meeting or presentation is usually broadcast on the ship board television and often repeatedly.

I have bought many pieces of jewelry in the Caribbean. At a non-ship sponsored store, I have asked if their price would be good for 30 days. Usually I have been told they would honor the quoted price. Then I ask if I can call or email them once I return home and have the item(s) put on my credit card and shipped to me. Got rock bottom prices on Hidalgo jewelry just a few weeks after my cruise. The only difference was the added cost of postage and insurance, which is small compared to the savings received.

Archived