Glacier Bay on Westerdam

sdca

Any suggestions for the best location on the Westerdam for viewing Glacier Bay?

Which deck is best?

Which deck is closest to the water and is open i.e. no glass to look through?

Just returned....you can go out on the bow of the ship at the front of deck 4....they serve wine/cheese there during the Glacier Bay day....not too crowded and no obstructions.

Which deck is best?

The deck closest to the water would be the Promenade deck - you can walk almost all the way around the ship n that deck.

Which deck is best is a matter of personal choice, I would say.

On the Amsterdam we spent most time of the Promenade deck mostly because it was cold and rainy but the views were also great. We also spent some time on the bow where you were close to the water and almost had a 360° view. Any open deck would be fine, so the Obeservation Deck and Lido Deck aft will be good to (though higer up).

Just returned....you can go out on the bow of the ship at the front of deck 4....they serve wine/cheese there during the Glacier Bay day....not too crowded and no obstructions.

Forget the wine and cheese and get some yummy pea soup and hot coffee with liquor. :D

I won't disagree with any of the suggestions made. I would recommend, though, that you be prepared to move around from deck to deck. That way you get different perspectives from different heights.

Also, there's another deck that overlooks the bow (one deck up, IIRC). Some excellent views from there, and probably less crowded.

All great suggestions but I do highly recommend going out to the Bow, it really is a must ;)

Also it depends on if you book a verandah, you may want to actually spend some time relaxing and enjoying the scenery from there once you have walked all over the ship and enjoying the different view from different locations:)

We took the Zuiderdam to Alaska in 2007 and spent a lot of time on the bow (deck 4). The Westerdam has the same layout. However, when in Glacier Bay there were a lot of people on the bow and it was hard to get to the rail with 3-4 people deep. My wife went up one deck to floor 5 above the bow and had an excellent view for her photographs. I attached a picture of one of those shots.

Which deck is best?

The bow!! I stood there for about 4 hours...actually got sunburned in spite of sunblock with SPF 50! The glaciers were awesome...the BEST part of the whole cruise. (except for being with my DH, of course). :D

We watched from our balconey on the Rotterdam deck. We took wonderful pictures. DH wasn't feeling well that day so this was the place for us. The views were beautiful. We will be in the same suite in Sept. and I think we'll order room service and enjoy the sights from there once again.:)

Archived