Suit and Tie

We will be sailing on the Jewel this month and we are curious about how to dress. Which restaurants request a coat and tie and /or dress for laties.

I understand their is an optional formal night. Does this mean suit or tuxedo?

I can't see bringing a tux from half way around the world for one wearing.

Someone please educate me on this.

Many thanks,

Scott

We will be sailing on the Jewel this month and we are curious about how to dress. Which restaurants request a coat and tie and /or dress for laties.

Many thanks,

Scott

1. None

2. There is no formal night - it's usually called "dress-up or NOT" night. You NEVER need to wear a suit or tuxedo.

3. Decent pants (like dockers) and a collared shirt are ALWAYS fine in all dining rooms and restaurants.

Many thanks,

Scott

You will not need a coat, tie, or tux for any of the dining rooms. The "dress code" for NCL is "resort casual", generally meaning nice slacks, shirts with collars (and sleeves) for guys, no shorts. Dressy jeans can get you into one of the dining rooms on "dress up or not" night, but not the other, where some folks do dress up. You can wear shorts or much more casual clothing in the buffets and a couple of the other casual dining venues during the day.

Maybe 30% or less of the folks actualy dress up on the "dress up or not" nights. Some folks get more dressed for some of the speciality restaurants. Seemed to me that if they were celebrating an anniversary or other special event, they took the trouble to get really dressed up; otherwise, the "resort casual" pretty much took care of the situation throughout the ship.

Have a great casual, laid-back cruise!

Thanks everyone for the replys.

I think that just about covers it.

The votes have been taken here, My wife and two sons want to bring "Dress Up" clothes and I voted against it.

I am now taking my suit to the cleaners.:(

The votes have been taken here, My wife and two sons want to bring "Dress Up" clothes and I voted against it.

That's nice...you all will look nice in the pictures:p

Good idea...if you house is anything like mine-

If she's not happy, she can guarantee I won't be happy ;)

I hope you all enjoy the Jewel Scott

Good idea...if you house is anything like mine-

If she's not happy, she can guarantee I won't be happy ;)

I hope you all enjoy the Jewel Scott

Man have you got that right!

When mommy is not happy, Nobodys happy!

She is now telling me how to pack my garmet bag!!!:eek:

I understand most people like the fact that you DON'T have to dress up. As for the DW and I we LOVE being able to dress up, we rarely get to do it at home much, so it's a really nice change for us. But this is one of the great things about NCL, you can but, don't have to dress up.

I just thought I'd speak up for those of us that do like to dress up, for dinner and for the pictures.

Seeings how most seem to the stress that you can go casual.

As for the DW and I we LOVE being able to dress up, we rarely get to do it at home much, so it's a really nice change for us. But this is one of the great things about NCL, you can but, don't have to dress up.

If you "LOVE being able to dress up," why don't you just do it when you go to a restaurant at home, too?;)

What is nice about NCL is if you wish to dress up you can any where and any night you wish, and if you don't you don't have to dress up. You decide, not someone from the cruise line....

NCL has embraced resort casual.... Its appropriate any where any night....

I understand most people like the fact that you DON'T have to dress up. As for the DW and I we LOVE being able to dress up, we rarely get to do it at home much, so it's a really nice change for us. But this is one of the great things about NCL, you can but, don't have to dress up.

I just thought I'd speak up for those of us that do like to dress up, for dinner and for the pictures.

Seeings how most seem to the stress that you can go casual.

I like to dress up too. I will usually wear a dressy cocktail dress for "Dress Up (or not) Nights", and a cute dress or nice skirt and top most nights. I also wear Resort Casual dress (capris, heel, cute top) maybe once on a 7-night cruise but I'll probably do that a little more often on my 14-night cruise coming up (especially since DBF isn't very much into dressing up and I don't want to clash with him if he wears dockers and polo shirt. He's bringing nice slacks and many long sleeves and short sleeves button-down shirts but no jacket so far).

Many thanks,

Scott

No restaurants "require" coat and tie. What I do on formal nights is wear a dark suit as my suits travel better than my tux and I'm too tight to rent one on the ship.

Hubby used to bring 2 suits when we cruised. Our last cruise was 9 days plus we had a pre and post hotel stay. With all the extra fees from the airlines we tried to reduce our luggage. We still had alot even without his 2 suits. He brought dress slacks and dress shirts and a few ties for the nights we somewhat dressed up. The other nights he wore slacks and short-sleeved button up shirts. I wore dress slacks and fancy tops or capris and fancy tops. It is up to each person what they want to do. I personally think that jeans are alittle too informal in the MDR's....but that is my opinion.

I'm still on the fence. We never dress up, but have the perfect outfits for dress up or not night. But do we really want to pack all that stuff if it's not necessary? Guess we'll pack them last if there's room.

It's done.

Thanks to everyone for thier feedback.

The family voted to bring for dressing up. 3 yeas and one nay. Guess who lost.:rolleyes:

Each boy and I get to bring 1 suit, two shirts, matching ties, 2 pr dress socks, dress belt and dress shoes.

My wife will bring two outfits and all the stuff she needs for that.

All of the "Dress Up" stuff will be in a seperate designated garmet bag to be opened only when we decide to use it.

The bad part is that we are spending 10 days in London and Paris before the cruise. So it just another piece of Luggage to lug around.

It's all good. If this is the biggest hassle I have with this trip, I'll be a happy cruiser.:D

And if NCL trys to give me lip about having more luggage than 2 suitcases per person, the luggage porter is going swimming.;)

Archived