What is the latest time to book cruise?

BeCruiser

I really want to do a cruise this fall (preferably Western Med.) but can not book yet as have an obligation at work,,,,to be available for an unannounce survey that may happen any time from now until probably November. If it happens sooner than later,,,,I still would like to book something. What are the time constraints on booking a cruise and do the prices go up?

thanks

Prices are unstable right now. Some itineraries go up in price and some go down, there's no way to tell. If the price of fuel continues to rise, you can bet on a fuel supplement. You need to book most cruises no later than 72 hours before the cruise departs.

US departures require purchase 72 hours before sailing. I am not use about the European ones. Price changes are based on how a cruise is selling. Ones with many undold cabins will see drops in price. Thise with few cabins left will see increases.

Prices are unstable right now. Some itineraries go up in price and some go down, there's no way to tell. If the price of fuel continues to rise, you can bet on a fuel supplement. You need to book most cruises no later than 72 hours before the cruise departs.

Im not sure where folks get this that they keep posting this as if it is true. I know for sure on Carnival and RCL it is absolutely NOT true.

I know folks who booked the morning of a Carnival cruise and got on, 2 days before a RCL cruise. RCL rep told me that I could book with him as late as Saturday for a sunday cruise.

You wouldnt be on the manifest, but you can cruise booking at less than 72 hours. I see this posted in this section all the time. Doesnt matter that they have no experience to back this up .... they read another poster who said it, so they quote it. NOT TRUE.

The latest Iv booked is Thurday night for a sunday sailing and that still gave me friday to get my stocholders credit. If the cruise leaves on the weekend, to get these other credits, hard to book the day of, but it CAN BE DONE.

I knew my cabin on Carnival, but had a problem on RCL which I had booked a guarantee and the porter didnt have me listed. He made my sister sit with the luggage while I checked in so I could prove to him I was really booked on the ship. She couldnt check the luggage and couldnt take it thru the xray machine, so it involved checking in separate. Cabin steward wasnt expecting us etc .... but it can be done. Dont believe everything you read here.

US departures require purchase 72 hours before sailing. I am not use about the European ones. Price changes are based on how a cruise is selling. Ones with many undold cabins will see drops in price. Thise with few cabins left will see increases.

..... again, folks post this because of some rule about the ship manifest that has nothing to do with allowing you to book afterwards. Not true.

The drawback to waiting is that the best of the cabins go first and also typically those cabins that are the lowest and highest price go first. As soon as your plans firm up I would book the cruise. Obviously the other consideration is the airline tickets and fares so you will need to look into that as well.

Keith

Im not sure where folks get this that they keep posting this as if it is true. I know for sure on Carnival and RCL it is absolutely NOT true.

I know folks who booked the morning of a Carnival cruise and got on, 2 days before a RCL cruise. RCL rep told me that I could book with him as late as Saturday for a sunday cruise.

You wouldnt be on the manifest, but you can cruise booking at less than 72 hours. I see this posted in this section all the time. Doesnt matter that they have no experience to back this up .... they read another poster who said it, so they quote it. NOT TRUE.

The latest Iv booked is Thurday night for a sunday sailing and that still gave me friday to get my stocholders credit. If the cruise leaves on the weekend, to get these other credits, hard to book the day of, but it CAN BE DONE.

I knew my cabin on Carnival, but had a problem on RCL which I had booked a guarantee and the porter didnt have me listed. He made my sister sit with the luggage while I checked in so I could prove to him I was really booked on the ship. She couldnt check the luggage and couldnt take it thru the xray machine, so it involved checking in separate. Cabin steward wasnt expecting us etc .... but it can be done. Dont believe everything you read here.

You are absolutely right. The "72 hour rule" is a figment of many "CC regular's imagination".... and if they say it enough I think they start to belive it! Their advice is always "book as early as you can" so it goes against all logic to think they have ever tried to book the day before. Therefore how would they really know the answer?????

Last fall we went to LA a couple days before our cruise to the Panama Canal on Princess. We were visiting with some friends and they decided it would be fun to go with us. I called Princess to see if there were any staterooms available and we were able to make reservations late the day before the cruise NO PROBLEM. The Princess' CSR actually laughed when we asked about the imaginary 72 hour rule.

These friends always book inside and had no problem getting the room they wanted, as everyone had been "upgraded" so their choice of room was available.

Please note, I said "most" not ALL. I know many lines such as Crystal, Regent, Cunard, Seabourn, require at least the 72 hours, and I have experience with those lines.

To the OP, if you book less than 30 days out for a European cruise and you live in the US, your airfare will be totally insane. I know this because we were offered a free cruise, 24 days out, and the airfare made it impossible for us to do. First of all, there were very few flights to be found and second, the prices were nearly double.

Archived