Dubrovnik-Which Entrance??

We plan to take a taxi from our ship to the walls. I have heard that one entrance provides an "easier" wall walk with mostly down the steps as opposed to up the steps. Any advice on 1)which entrance, 2) which way on the walls, 3) where to exit the walls to explore the old town, 4) any other hints on little bars or good restaurants for lunch??? All information/advice is welcome. Thank you.

The ship's shuttle left us off (and picked up) at the Pile Gate. Inside the gate, take the stairs on the left: the ticket office is part way up. When you reach the top of the stairs, you are facing the Stradun. We went left to the Minceta Tower, then back-tracked walking around the wall following the sea. We left the wall at St John's Fort (harbor). If you walk through the opening in the wall at Old Port, there are several restaurants by the harbor. After lunch, we walked over to Revelin Fortress and out Ploce Gate to see the walled city from a different perspective. In the afternoon, we walked around Old Town before taking the shuttle back to the ship.

Click here to see our Dubrovnik pictures.

The ship's shuttle left us off (and picked up) at the Pile Gate. Inside the gate, take the stairs on the left: the ticket office is part way up. When you reach the top of the stairs, you are facing the Stradun. We went left to the Minceta Tower, then back-tracked walking around the wall following the sea. We left the wall at St John's Fort (harbor). If you walk through the opening in the wall at Old Port, there are several restaurants by the harbor. After lunch, we walked over to Revelin Fortress and out Ploce Gate to see the walled city from a different perspective. In the afternoon, we walked around Old Town before taking the shuttle back to the ship.

Click here to see our Dubrovnik pictures.

About how long did it take you to walk the walls? Thanks!

About how long did it take you to walk the walls? Thanks!

Most posters seem to say it takes 2-3 hors to walk the walls, again depending on how often yous top to take photos. I also read that your admission ticket can be used through the day--so if you leave the walls to go explore, have lunch, whatever, you can be re-admitted with your ticket. Cant wait to be there in a few days!

We did not do a full circle of the wall and spent about 3 hours. We went to Fort Minceta first, then backtracked to the section of the wall surrounding the Adriatic.

There are approximately 150 stairs to the top, so we never entertained the idea of walking back down and then up again. I was thrilled I made it to the top once! There are also stairs along the way as the wall climbs up along the coastline and back down.

The amount of time you spend at any site is usually determined by your interests. If you just want to say you walked the wall, you can probably do it all the way around in 90 minutes. We started at 9:30 and when we left the wall at St John's Fort it was time for lunch. We then spent the afternoon exploring Old Town. Gundulic Square was nice, as is the Jesuit Church. The stairs leading to the church were modeled after the Spanish Steps in Rome.

If you are going to walk the entire wall, it does not matter where you enter, as it is a one way circular route, so eventually everyone covers the exact same path. We did the walk in 1 hour, but it could definitely take longer if you want to stop often and savor the view, or have a snack.

The far gate near the water entrance is the shortest flight up the wall. Obviously the walk around to the front entrance near the bus stop will be an uphill walk around the wall. Go early ass it gets warm. When you make your way around there are a number of restaurants near the water. Hope this helps.

Amber,

If one just wanted to walk along the harbor side of the walls, the entrance would be the Pile gate with, I suppose, an exit at the Ploche Gate if one didn't want to walk all the way around.

The views are so amazing, one can easily become entranced and forget the stairs and want to do the entire circle!

Amber,

If one just wanted to walk along the harbor side of the walls, the entrance would be the Pile gate with, I suppose, an exit at the Ploche Gate if one didn't want to walk all the way around.

The views are so amazing, one can easily become entranced and forget the stairs and want to do the entire circle!

Believe it or not, it's less about the stairs and more about the heat. Will be there in mid-August, and I just don't do well being exposed in that kind of heat. Add stairs to the mix and it's definitely not pretty. Hence planning on only doing the harbor side then down to explore the town and have a fabulous squid lunch somewhere.

Am I correct that I am reading 2 different answers on which entrance to walk the harbor side? One post said Pile and other said Ploce. I had previously read the latter is less crowded/less line than the Pile gate. It looks to me like our ship (less than 700 passengers ) will be in port that day. We are in port from 1:00-8:00. I will be in Dubrovnik in a couple of weeks and had planned on taking the Ploce entrance becasue it is less crowded but now I'm confused. If I want to just walk the walls for an hour or less, which means I won't make it all the way around, do we just walk part way and then turn around and walk back....I can't picture if there is ia place to "exit" along the way or if we just turn around and go back the way we came.

Our intention is to walk the walls for an hour or so and take photos along the way, walk through Old Town, then find Buza Bar and then back to the ship. We are 30 years old and in decent shape so stairs and heat are not TOO much of a concern.

If you take a taxi (10 Euros) from the port, the driver will drop you at the Pile gate. If you intend on walking the entire wall, there is a lot of up and down no matter which gate you enter through, and only occasional shade. For us, the heat on an 82 degree day WAS a big issue, so take plenty of water and plan on taking your time. There are a few small counters that offer water and one restaurant on the wall.

You'll be suprised how easy it is to get to the gates and walk around the city. I wouldn't worry too much about which gate you enter through. Unless you plan to shop quite a bit, you'll have plenty of time to walk the entire wall, which I recommend, and still see the city. Be sure and visit the shops and restaurants that track up the hill (on your left as you walk the main street). Very nice.

If I want to just walk the walls for an hour or less, which means I won't make it all the way around, do we just walk part way and then turn around and walk back....

No, you can walk in one direction and not have to backtrack.

When you arrive at the walled city, you'll likely be at the Pile Gate entrance. From there, walk along the Stradun (main street) to the Ploce Gate. Start your walk on the wall from there and head south, keeping the water to your left. Wonderful views! You can then get off the wall at the Pile Gate. Before you start your walk at the Ploce Gate, it's worth having a look at the harbour area. http://laurellynn.com/Vacation2005/images/costa_victoria/dubrovnik_map_costa.jpg

No, you can walk in one direction and not have to backtrack.

When you arrive at the walled city, you'll likely be at the Pile Gate entrance. From there, walk along the Stradun (main street) to the Ploce Gate. Start your walk on the wall from there and head south, keeping the water to your left. Wonderful views! You can then get off the wall at the Pile Gate. Before you start your walk at the Ploce Gate, it's worth having a look at the harbour area. [/url]

Ok, I've had enough of the misinformation on the city walls. Your main concern is not the steps, it is the heat in August. You certainly should be concerned as just doing half the wall would be your best choice.

I have been walking the walls now for the past 2 years, almost every day during the off season. I don't go up during summer, it's too hot. The traffic is one way, one cannot enter at Ploce and walk towards the sea it's moving against traffic. Also they have changed the controls and you will be sent back to the opposite direction at Sveti Ivan.

To walk the sea side of the walls, one must enter at the entrance closest to the Pile Gate. Once you reach the top of the wall, walk towards the sea and you can then get off the wall at the half way point which is Sveti Ivan. This is the area closest to the Maritime Museum, which is another great stop and it has A/C.

Please remember that I've walked the walls more than 300 times and I speak from my own personal experience. Please download the Dubrovnik map, this will help you get your bearings. Map has 2 pages.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Ok, I've had enough of the misinformation on the city walls. Your main concern is not the steps, it is the heat in August. You certainly should be concerned as just doing half the wall would be your best choice.

I have been walking the walls now for the past 2 years, almost every day during the off season. I don't go up during summer, it's too hot. The traffic is one way, one cannot enter at Ploce and walk towards the sea it's moving against traffic. Also they have changed the controls and you will be sent back to the opposite direction at Sveti Ivan.

To walk the sea side of the walls, one must enter at the entrance closest to the Pile Gate. Once you reach the top of the wall, walk towards the sea and you can then get off the wall at the half way point which is Sveti Ivan. This is the area closest to the Maritime Museum, which is another great stop and it has A/C.

Please remember that I've walked the walls more than 300 times and I speak from my own personal experience. Please download the Dubrovnik map, this will help you get your bearings. Map has 2 pages.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Thank you thank you! I was hoping you'd pop in here (I've missed reading your wisdom here). Didn't realize that traffic was one-way on the wall, now it all makes sense!

The traffic is one way, one cannot enter at Ploce and walk towards the sea it's moving against traffic.

Thanks for the correct info ... we walked in the direction that I mentioned, but it was a few years ago, so I guess things have changed since then. :o It does make sense to have everyone going in the same direction.

Archived