The upcoming year & H1N1 virus

paradave

Given the fact that WHO is basically predicting a pandemic in the upcoming year, I wonder how many people will not be travelling in the upcoming year?

The facts are simple, a vaccine is still in the development stages but it looks like 2 vaccine shots will be necessary. Also just because you have had your immunizations for the H1N1, you still could be a carrier by being exposed to persons who might be carrying the virus.

The big facts are your ship might not be allowed into some ports. You might end up in quarantine, regardless of whether you are immunized.

How much risk are you willing to take:confused:

Given the fact that WHO is basically predicting a pandemic in the upcoming year, I wonder how many people will not be travelling in the upcoming year?

The facts are simple, a vaccine is still in the development stages but it looks like 2 vaccine shots will be necessary. Also just because you have had your immunizations for the H1N1, you still could be a carrier by being exposed to persons who might be carrying the virus.

The big facts are your ship might not be allowed into some ports. You might end up in quarantine, regardless of whether you are immunized.

I have nine cruises booked and plan to take all of them.

I'LL RISK IT!

Heck I can get ill with the FLU, at my local grocery store. If I worry about getting sick then I might as well never leave my house.

We just returned from a week's land vacation in Mexico, Playa Del Carmen.

Our temperature was checked at the airport before existing custom.

I think there are things I fear more at home than H1N1.

If you are OCD or one of those people who get their knicker in a knot about visible sanitation, this could be a trying time for you. I was at a resort and I believe in the healing and protective powers of top shelf liquor or any shelf the Bahama Mama is on. For us, we have already put our fears aside and had a wonderful week of liquor, sun and fun.

We went on our excursions as planned, climbed Coba, jumped in cenotes, and daily massage on the beach. I am ready to go back :-)

I've never bought the "Chicken Little" theory of living. Getting out of bed can be risky.

The sky isn't falling, Nostradamus didn't know what he was talking about, neither did the Mayans.

I'll live my life to the fullest....it's way too short to waste time worrying about the "what ifs".....

Predictions such as this for a year in advance are usually very inaccurate. I, like others have responded, would not change any travel plans on a "chance" that something might happen. Imagine if Magellan, Drake, Cortez etc. stayed home because things "might" not be perfect.

I agree with the posters who have replied so far.

We have now had 7 deaths in the UK from swine flu, and someone in authority is predicting that we may be having 100,000 new cases per day by the end of August. I live close to the worst affected region in England. But as others have said, we can pick up germs from anywhere, so other than not leave your house, there is very little we can do about it, other than the usual sensible precautions such as good hygiene etc

Please spread your doom & gloom soothsaying elsewhere. :rolleyes:

I think it's a legitimate concern. If I had travel plans for this fall or winter, I'd be checking with my travel insurance provider to see specifically what will be covered. For the vast majority of people at this time, this flu is mild and passes within days, but like any illness it can still ruin your vacation and there is the possibility you could be confined to your stateroom or face restrictions in flying home.

For others, H1N1 can turn into something far more serious, particularly if there is an underlying health condition (some official reports have mentioned diabetes and even mild asthma). Unusually, this flu is also affecting healthy young adults and children, some of whom are now relying on respirators to breathe.

I don't think it's a Chicken Little attitude to think about appropriate precautions in advance and keep tabs on what the CDC and your local health authorities are advising - and don't blame the media for reporting what the health officials are saying. It's anybody's guess how H1NI is going to mutate by this winter.

LL

For others, H1N1 can turn into something far more serious, particularly if there is an underlying health condition (some official reports have mentioned diabetes and even mild asthma). Unusually, this flu is also affecting healthy young adults and children, some of whom are now relying on respirators to breathe.

So can the NORO virus, it just makes sense to take the same precautions for both. ;)

Nine cruises......:eek: Wow, I wish I had the time from work and the money to afford half that many.....:):D:p

Bob

I worked hard for these cruises. And when I worked full time, I didn't have time either.

I am not concerned about the flu. It won't stop me from Cruising.

What I am concerned about is the reaction of local authorities if there were H1N1 virus confirmed on board.

It could certainly screw up my plans if we are not allowed into one or more ports.

It could certainly screw up my plans if we are not allowed into one or more ports.

As we keep repeating on these boards, if the ports are really that important to you, then perhaps a land vacation might better suit your needs. A ship can miss any given port on any given cruise for any reason.

So can the NORO virus, it just makes sense to take the same precautions for both. ;)

Completely agreed. However, the two pose vastly different health risks, and governments around the world are only bracing for one of them. Our own national health authorities are now expressing concern that this "flu season" just isn't stopping, and is spreading into the summer months. (35 deaths in Canada so far) The good news is, those over the age of 50 just don't seem to be as susceptible.

LL

Hi Dave,

I am so sorry that you are fearful of disease, how could you ever know who is carrying what? :eek:

If you cancel your cruises, and other fearful people do the same, I bet the prices might go down and I can cruise more! That's what I think of the risk! :D

Amelia

Archived