How could anyone NOT want to go to Alaska?

KAWS

Everyone has their own ideas of what they like, and what they consider beautiful. I have always enjoyed tropical vacations. I am going on my first Alaskan cruise at the end of the month, so I'll see how I'll like it. There are several places that I have no interest in going (New York or Europe for example) but that doesn't mean they aren't great places for other people, just not my idea of a fun vacation. Fortunately there are so many wonderful places in the world to visit, that we can each decide for ourselves what we like.

Very well said. :) I'm spending 5 weeks in Europe leaving 7-20, and just back from several days in NYC. :)

Some sage advice there, neighbor (we're in Dallas)! We've subscribed to Alaska Magazine since our first Alaska cruise in 1999 and love it. Really gives you a feel for the place. Completely understand the admonishment to go for a trial period. Hubby is convinced that one winter would do it for me, but I'm not so sure. I'm personally drawn to Juneau or perhaps Sitka, neither of which has the extremely harsh winters of interior Alaska. Living simply in surroundings as breathtaking as Alaska would be a perfect situation, in my view!

While we indulge in thinking about living in Alaska, we'll not be going anywhere as long as Mother is still with us, so we are reluctantly practical about our dreaming!

Oh I completely understand about taking care of mothers. We had my MIL until she was 93. As I travel as part of my job, we alternated trips so that one of us was always relatively handy. I took her to Alaska once on a Holland American cruise and she loved the cruise and loved watching the scenery from the ship. I'm not sure she ever actually put a foot down on Alaska.

One word of advice from a much older woman. Don't spend all of your good years waiting. I did an awful lot of that believing I was doing the best for everyone but me. I've made do with autumn trips to Alaska for a long many years.

As my retirement got moved a couple years further out in time, I've wondered if a little apt in downtown Anchorage might be better than a little cabin in the Chugach, but we'll see. I didn't think I was getting old until a young hiking guide asked me very seriously if I needed help. Ouch!

Two years ago, it was DH and son's turn to choose the family trip. They both wanted to go to Alaska. I absolutely did not and I already knew the most feasible way of doing it was by cruise ship- which I absolutely did not want to do either. All I could think was that it was cold and rugged with nothing fun to do. Well, they got their way and we went. I was so totally amazed and blown away! We've since cruised Alaska again and are comtemplating another trip this year. Who knew? I totally love the place.

Sorry, these are NOT the areas- out of Maine and RI are poor choices. As I state, the prime, top areas, CONSISTANT over many years, is either out of Gloucester or Cape Cod, going to the same areas, Stellwagon Bank and Jefferys Ledge. It is all about the food. This is another peak year. Tours in the $40 range.

There is NO concern about "time of year" out of Hoonah. You will see humpbacks. 100% sightings. The cruise season always has whales.

Thanks for the info.

I've always thought that those Dallas people are a little "off"....well, many are a lot "off"!:eek:

Hmmmm.....how do I respond to this? Sure 'nuf, there are lots of people in Dallas that are a little "off" but I can assure you there are just as many "off" folks in Houston. ;)

Now that that's been cleared up, I just want to say that I took my first cruise to Alaska in May, mostly out of curiosity to see what everyone was raving about. I am now hooked. I was completely blown away by the sheer awesome beauty and majesty that surrounded me 360 degrees non-stop. If I could only take one vacation a year, my choice would now be Alaska. Hopefully I'll be able to continue my Caribbean cruises in the winter and a summer one in Alaska.

Diane

Maybe it goes like this. Your 1st Alaska cruise you are reluctant. I was lived in the mountains w/snow and cold all my life saw no reason to go to Alaska.

This year will be our 4th cruise w/land to Alaska. It is absolutely addictive. Island Princess August 17.:D

Lots of whales in August.

Jack

for the little

Are you KIDDING?!? My sister and I were given the option of Alaska or Disney World - We both chose Alaska! (and we are Disneyland Annual Passholders)

Hi guys, when i tell people i'm going to Alaska again, they say, Id rather go where its warm and sit on a beautiful beach. I tell them its so beautiful up there, its God's country. I have been to Alaska now 7 times and i intend to go back, just cant get enough of the place. Somebody on another thread, dont tell anyone about Alaska anymore, cuz they dont know what they are missing, and I guess i can agree with them.

virginia

Are you KIDDING?!? My sister and I were given the option of Alaska or Disney World - We both chose Alaska! (and we are Disneyland Annual Passholders)

I would've chosen BOTH - and I did! I went to Alaska in May, and went/will go to Disney World in April, October, and December this year. And yes, I'm an annual passholder. :)

Oh I completely understand about taking care of mothers. We had my MIL until she was 93. As I travel as part of my job, we alternated trips so that one of us was always relatively handy. I took her to Alaska once on a Holland American cruise and she loved the cruise and loved watching the scenery from the ship. I'm not sure she ever actually put a foot down on Alaska.

One word of advice from a much older woman. Don't spend all of your good years waiting. I did an awful lot of that believing I was doing the best for everyone but me. I've made do with autumn trips to Alaska for a long many years.

As my retirement got moved a couple years further out in time, I've wondered if a little apt in downtown Anchorage might be better than a little cabin in the Chugach, but we'll see. I didn't think I was getting old until a young hiking guide asked me very seriously if I needed help. Ouch!

More sage advice! Although Mother is still living relatively independently, we (Sis and I plus hubbies) must remain closeby. Our annual Alaska trips succeed in pacifying us for now!

That apartment does sound good. Found a 2-BDRM for you near Campbell Park and The University in Anchorage Daily News online.

That young hiking guide reminds me of the young woman who asked me just last week if I have a daughter in the real estate business. At least she said "daughter" and not "granddaughter," although that would be feasible! Soon enough she, too, will embrace the philosophy that age is mostly an attitude!

A month ago I was just leaving for my first trip to Alaska. There are not words enough to describe the beauty, and majesty. I was like a little kid with new toys on Christmas every time we got to see something I had only seen pictures of or had heard about. Whales are incredible!! I am so ready to go again, but it might be next year. I will do a whale watch in every port that i an afford it.

Interesting. Never thought about it as either or, just both or all 3 Orlando.

Have taken all 3 grand kids to DW Orlando when they were 9 years old. Took GD to Alaska when she turned 13. This year GS is 13 he is going to Alaska, but not with us:(. His parents are going this month and taking GD and GS.:D

Jack

for the lovely

A month ago I was just leaving for my first trip to Alaska. There are not words enough to describe the beauty, and majesty. I was like a little kid with new toys on Christmas every time we got to see something I had only seen pictures of or had heard about. Whales are incredible!! I am so ready to go again, but it might be next year. I will do a whale watch in every port that i an afford it.

Also consider Hawaii and Ma. superb whale watching. :) With going to Alaska, Oregon- Newport Beach, has resident grays. Add time for Vancouver Island with orca pod tours. I do highly recommend, extra time in each location and multiple trips. Just increases your chances significantly.

This year has been poor for me with whale watching tours, so far. :( I spent 4 days in Victoria, with the southern pods out of range of tours. And back two weeks from Gloucester with 2 days of canceled trips out of 3 I had tours planned. :) Will be back again for 5 days, end of August- HOPE, this bad luck streak with me, lets up. :) I didn't do a whale watch this year out of Juneau, which was a first over many years- did have fantastic viewing from the cruiseship, but maybe I jinxed myself- anyone know a spell to clear me??? :) :)

Maybe it goes like this. Your 1st Alaska cruise you are reluctant. I was lived in the mountains w/snow and cold all my life saw no reason to go to Alaska.

This year will be our 4th cruise w/land to Alaska. It is absolutely addictive. Island Princess August 17.:D

Lots of whales in August.

Jack

for the little

We go on the Island Aug 3, so will try to keep it in good order for you. LOL

Since this is our first cruise to Alaska, do you have any words of wisdom you would like to share, especially since you are doing the same cruise as us. We don't know what to do as far a tours. We are taking an 8 day land tour following the cruise so we don't want to spend alot of money on tours while on the ship. We do kind of want to do the train in Skagway. Do you think we will see something here that we won't see later?

Also consider Hawaii and Ma. superb whale watching. :) With going to Alaska, Oregon- Newport Beach, has resident grays. Add time for Vancouver Island with orca pod tours. I do highly recommend, extra time in each location and multiple trips. Just increases your chances significantly.

This year has been poor for me with whale watching tours, so far. :( I spent 4 days in Victoria, with the southern pods out of range of tours. And back two weeks from Gloucester with 2 days of canceled trips out of 3 I had tours planned. :) Will be back again for 5 days, end of August- HOPE, this bad luck streak with me, lets up. :) I didn't do a whale watch this year out of Juneau, which was a first over many years- did have fantastic viewing from the cruiseship, but maybe I jinxed myself- anyone know a spell to clear me??? :) :)

This is shaping up to be a whale-free year for me as well (unless we get lucky in the the Eastern Med in November...otherwise will have to "settle" for dolphins in the Gulf of Mexico). Last year we spent a total of 21 days cruising in AK and HI, so will be a tough act to follow. The year before I was "weathered out" on trips out of MA and CA, always frustrating when you have a tight touring schedule.

BQ...have you ever been lucky enough to see a Northern Right Whale in MA?? I have been fortunate enough to cross paths with one, but perhaps one of these years...

Interesting. Never thought about it as either or, just both or all 3 Orlando.

Have taken all 3 grand kids to DW Orlando when they were 9 years old. Took GD to Alaska when she turned 13. This year GS is 13 he is going to Alaska, but not with us:(. His parents are going this month and taking GD and GS.:D

Jack

for the lovely

\

We needed quiet, not constant noise. I needed to go somewhere where I know work won't be tempted to call. My sister and I both wanted someone else to wait on us. These were big factors in our decision.

I would've chosen BOTH - and I did! I went to Alaska in May, and went/will go to Disney World in April, October, and December this year. And yes, I'm an annual passholder. :)

Well....due to the yucky California financial situation, this fully credentialed elementary teacher is approaching her third year without a class. The first year was because I chose to move to Sacramento to care for my grandparents in their final year of life. The second year was because of lack of jobs. I'm going to wait another year. Right now I make half of what I made as a teacher, and work twice as hard/twice as stressed. I was in Orlando in 1999, cruised the Wonder a few years after that. I'm spectacular with my decision. The more I think about it, the more I realize it was the right decision.

BQ...have you ever been lucky enough to see a Northern Right Whale in MA?? I have been fortunate enough to cross paths with one, but perhaps one of these years...

Yes, I have. :) I go out on research multiday trips, where I saw them.

Well....due to the yucky California financial situation, this fully credentialed elementary teacher is approaching her third year without a class. The first year was because I chose to move to Sacramento to care for my grandparents in their final year of life. The second year was because of lack of jobs. I'm going to wait another year. Right now I make half of what I made as a teacher, and work twice as hard/twice as stressed. I was in Orlando in 1999, cruised the Wonder a few years after that. I'm spectacular with my decision. The more I think about it, the more I realize it was the right decision.

I realize that many people are currently unemployed or underemployed, and being able to take any vacation is a luxury. I hope your job situation will improve soon.

Since this is our first cruise to Alaska, do you have any words of wisdom you would like to share, especially since you are doing the same cruise as us. We don't know what to do as far a tours. We are taking an 8 day land tour following the cruise so we don't want to spend alot of money on tours while on the ship. We do kind of want to do the train in Skagway. Do you think we will see something here that we won't see later?

Greetings! We disembark the Island the day you embark! What is your cabin? We are in D718. One excursion you MUST do is whale-watching in Juneau (that is, if you're interested in whale-watching). Harv & Marv, Orca Enterprises are a couple of popular companies. If all else fails (just because it costs more), go with the Princess excursion (Allen Marine does a great job). We're doing that one because it's wheelchair-friendly (for Mother). It will be work every penny. We'll try to leave the Island in good condition for you!

Looks like a few "Island" people on this thread. First we love the Island/Coral Princess they are not crowded, have always had great food with very good entertainment. We hope you enjoy you cruise.

With an eight day land tacked onto the cruise you have already spent a bunch. That being said for a first time in Skagway to not do the WP&YRR would be a shame. This tour is loaded with knock down fantastic scenery and history beyond belief. To conserve you can do the shorter version.

This is what we will be doing. Vancouver up overnighting at the Pan Pacific, they had a great special a few months ago. Take the elevator down to the ship about noon for lunch in the dining room. Then--

Ketchikan. Shopping walking around, maybe walk to the fish cannery and watch all the bald eagles. Had a great time their once before.

Juneau. AM whale watching, Princess tour. PM Mount Roberts Tramway. A suggestion to conserve do the Mendenhall glacier. Think you can ride the city bus there. Princess also has a tour there.

Skagway. 7 1/2 hr WPRR trip with Chilkoot Charters.

Disembark in Whittier PJS Taxi will pick us up for a marvelous sight seeing tour to Seward. Staying at the lovely Falls Inn B&B on the bay, they like Schnauzers check out Gertz. Next day the 9 hour Northwestern Kenai Fjords tour, have done the 7hr one. This we feel is an Alaska must do.

The next day an all day tour with Renee at PJS Taxi to Anchorage then overnight and out next AM.

We considered a land tour with Princess this year but decided we would rather do our own. We don't have to wish you a great time in Alaska because we know you will have a great time.

For Jack and Nora I am

My husband and I have, I think, decided to wait on an Alaskan cruise. It's something we'll have to save up for since a good chunk of it will be airfare. I priced it out this morning and it'd be about $800 for us to fly out to Seattle. I know that's a very good price right now, but we've got a cruise planned for next year and then we're going to hopefully start a family. Maybe for our 10 year anniversary (and when our child is 4-5) we can do the Alaskan cruise, or leave child with grandparents.

Archived