How could anyone NOT want to go to Alaska?

KAWS

We're sailing in two weeks and I'm very excited about it. A guy from my office just came back on the weekend and I'm dying to talk to him to find out all the juicy details of the week. One of my coworkers said to me, "I have absolutely NO interest in going to Alaska - ever and I can't understand why anyone would."

I was rendered absolutely speechless. I asked her if she'd ever seen the pictures of Alaska and she said she had, but "big deal". OMG I couldn't believe it. I told her that there were so many exciting things to do that were once in a lifetime sort of things. She said none of them would be once in a lifetime things to her.

I guess it just took me by surprise that anyone would NOT want to go to Alaska and see beauty at it's finest and most majestic.

Each to their own I suppose. I don't think I'd be that thrilled with the Mediteranean cruise she has booked that stops in five different places in Italy and no where else either so. I suppose the difference is I'd never say that out loud to her.

I'm with you. I cannot imagine at all how anyone would not want to go to Alaska. It is so majestic and beautiful. I have one friend that doesn't want to go but that is cause she hates being cold and doesn't like to go to anywhere that is cold. Yesterday, she was cold when it was 70 degrees. Guess she isn't interested in bundling up a little bit to see the majesty of those mountains and water.

Personally, I get tired of the heat and humidity of the Mexican Riviera and the Caribbean. I choose carefully what months I sail to those places to have the least amount of humidity.

Some people only want to vacation where it's warm and tropical. I actually get plenty of that here during the summer! Alaska is a treat, but if someone is dead-set against going, don't drag them kicking and screaming - it's too expensive (totaled) to be made miserable by one who is bound and determined to hate it!

Maybe it goes like this. Your 1st Alaska cruise you are reluctant. I was lived in the mountains w/snow and cold all my life saw no reason to go to Alaska.

This year will be our 4th cruise w/land to Alaska. It is absolutely addictive. Island Princess August 17.:D

Lots of whales in August.

Jack

for the little

I suppose the difference is I'd never say that out loud to her.

We think a lot alike, Kaws.

If it isn't for me, that's okay, but I would never think of spoiling it for someone else!

Alaska, however, is for me and I am going next month! Can't wait!

I'm working in Texas. At least half the people I talk to have no interest in visiting Alaska for any reason.

The few folks I've told that I plan to retire in Alaska think I'm crazy.

Fellow Texan...We're just trying to figure out how to make a living in Alaska so we don't have to wait for retirement! Just can't get enough of the most amazing spot on earth!

I'm working in Texas. At least half the people I talk to have no interest in visiting Alaska for any reason.

The few folks I've told that I plan to retire in Alaska think I'm crazy.

I've always thought that those Dallas people are a little "off"....well, many are a lot "off"!:eek: Anyway, down here in Houston I've never had anyone say anything other than how much they'd like to go to Alaska. Just today I've answered questions from people at the bank, the nail salon and the chiropractor - all asking Alaska cruising questions!!! Yes, I'm getting ready to leave Thursday for my 3rd trip in 3 years.:D

Fellow Texan...We're just trying to figure out how to make a living in Alaska so we don't have to wait for retirement! Just can't get enough of the most amazing spot on earth!

I moved to Texas to make money and to have a lower cost of living. Well, love was in the deal as well. The years have passed quickly and now I'm eager to retire in Alaska.

I guess my point is that you can make big wages in Alaska, but the cost of living in much higher than in Texas. If you can make a balance between the 2, then you can make it in Alaska.

Now that I'm well up in years, I understand what I really need and really don't need. I'll be perfectly happy wth a small place to live, an old Subaru and having to be careful with my money. I'll be satisfied to work in a cafe or a coffee shop to be able to be out with people. Family members ho have grown very old in Alaska have often suffered from isolation and lack of human contact. I hope I've learned from them.

If you are thinking of moving to Alaska, you need to go for a trial period to see how it really works before you entirely sell out and move north. I left Alaska once and don't want to go through the ordeal of having to do it again. I departed Anchorage on a big jet plane and was in a world of tears. Every time I depart Alaska after vacations since that trip, I've also cried buckets. Usually I'm not the only person in tears as it is a very hard place to leave.

Good luck!

I am NOT an outdoorsy person. I also despise the cold. I am not fond of doing anything twice until I have done everything once (if that makes any sense!).

We went to Alaska last June (that was going to be our once)..... We are headed back Wednesday. I have told my husband we will do again too! How can you explain the glaciers? It's the sound and the colour of the ice. My husband feels the same, but cannot, for the life of him, understand why, with my history, I feel that way!!

Don't knock it until you try it.:)

My husband and I had no disire to go to Alaska and have to wear winter clothes in August. In any case we're booked to go with friends in august and I'm having an attitude adjustment and plan on enjoying it.

My husband and I haven't done an Alaskan cruise, but we will someday. Maybe for our 10 year or something. The cost to fly is just so much! :(

Originally, I had no desire to go to Alaska whatsoever. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch....I think you get my drift, lol!

Then I saw a show about Alaskan cruises and it looked ah-maze-ing! Now, we really want to go on one but like I said, the price is a little more than we'd like right now.

This is the Alaska forum on a cruise discussion group. I'd expect most of the posters will agree with you.:)

Different people have different ideas of what makes a great vacation. Some people want a sun based vacation. You wouldn't book an Alaska cruise if your favorite activities include jet ski, scuba diving etc. Some people want to see the part of the world their ancestors immigrated from--Italy, Ireland, England, Germany....Some people want a resort experience; spa, golf, tennis...

We're not wrong for planning an Alaskan cruisetour but your friend isn't wrong for wanting a different vacation experience.

A few posters on CC have made dozens of trips to Alaska. That's the other extreme.

My husband and I haven't done an Alaskan cruise, but we will someday. Maybe for our 10 year or something. The cost to fly is just so much! :(

Originally, I had no desire to go to Alaska whatsoever. None. Nada. Zip. Zilch....I think you get my drift, lol!

Then I saw a show about Alaskan cruises and it looked ah-maze-ing! Now, we really want to go on one but like I said, the price is a little more than we'd like right now.

Keep an eye on airfares. There were FL to Anchorage fares in the +-$400 range last year, and also from NY to Anchorage for the same price. You just never know.

Using miles or points is another great and cheap way to get there. Apply for the right credit card and you usually earn enough miles for an award ticket to Alaska.

(Edited) "...I cannot imagine at all how anyone would not want to go to Alaska...."

Unbelievable, isn't it? But realistically in parts of Alaska the winters are several months long, it is 20, 30, 40, 50 degrees, or a whole lot more below zero, the kids cannot play outdoors, it is dark, the snow is up to or above your roof, your car won't start for three months, etc., etc.

In the few weeks of summer it is raining , or about to rain, the kids do not want to go to bed because it is still broad daylight, the mosquitoes are driving you crazy, etc., etc. But some of us loved it. A former Alaska State Trooper.

P.S. If I did go back to Alaska to live out retirement I would go back to my favorite Alaska city - Homer. I loved that place.

I moved to Texas to make money and to have a lower cost of living. Well, love was in the deal as well. The years have passed quickly and now I'm eager to retire in Alaska.

I guess my point is that you can make big wages in Alaska, but the cost of living in much higher than in Texas. If you can make a balance between the 2, then you can make it in Alaska.

Now that I'm well up in years, I understand what I really need and really don't need. I'll be perfectly happy wth a small place to live, an old Subaru and having to be careful with my money. I'll be satisfied to work in a cafe or a coffee shop to be able to be out with people. Family members ho have grown very old in Alaska have often suffered from isolation and lack of human contact. I hope I've learned from them.

If you are thinking of moving to Alaska, you need to go for a trial period to see how it really works before you entirely sell out and move north. I left Alaska once and don't want to go through the ordeal of having to do it again. I departed Anchorage on a big jet plane and was in a world of tears. Every time I depart Alaska after vacations since that trip, I've also cried buckets. Usually I'm not the only person in tears as it is a very hard place to leave.

Good luck!

Some sage advice there, neighbor (we're in Dallas)! We've subscribed to Alaska Magazine since our first Alaska cruise in 1999 and love it. Really gives you a feel for the place. Completely understand the admonishment to go for a trial period. Hubby is convinced that one winter would do it for me, but I'm not so sure. I'm personally drawn to Juneau or perhaps Sitka, neither of which has the extremely harsh winters of interior Alaska. Living simply in surroundings as breathtaking as Alaska would be a perfect situation, in my view!

While we indulge in thinking about living in Alaska, we'll not be going anywhere as long as Mother is still with us, so we are reluctantly practical about our dreaming!

Hi all,

I am going on the Pacific Princess September 3rd. Does anyone know if Whale watching is till good that late in the season?

Thanks.

You have plenty of opportunity for excellent whale watching out of Juneau or Hoonah. BUT being from Jersery- Cape Cod, and Gloucester also offers excellent humpback and fin viewing. :)

As for the orginal OP. Sure plenty of people are not interested in Alaska, just the way it goes. :) I don't see anything as a "once in a lifetime trip" for me. So my travels, each, offer me something for a return. Yes, I am very jaded. :)

You have plenty of opportunity for excellent whale watching out of Juneau or Hoonah. BUT being from Jersery- Cape Cod, and Gloucester also offers excellent humpback and fin viewing. :)

I have done whale watching in Kennibunkport, Maine and Nantuckett, RI. We saw very little and at a distance so I am hoping that I will have a better chance in Alaska but I was concerned about the time of year. I have read on the post about Glacier Wind Charters in Icy Straight but at $165. per person...I WANT TO SEE WHALES.

Everyone has their own ideas of what they like, and what they consider beautiful. I have always enjoyed tropical vacations. I am going on my first Alaskan cruise at the end of the month, so I'll see how I'll like it. There are several places that I have no interest in going (New York or Europe for example) but that doesn't mean they aren't great places for other people, just not my idea of a fun vacation. Fortunately there are so many wonderful places in the world to visit, that we can each decide for ourselves what we like.

I have done whale watching in Kennibunkport, Maine and Nantuckett, RI. We saw very little and at a distance so I am hoping that I will have a better chance in Alaska but I was concerned about the time of year. I have read on the post about Glacier Wind Charters in Icy Straight but at $165. per person...I WANT TO SEE WHALES.

Sorry, these are NOT the areas- out of Maine and RI are poor choices. As I state, the prime, top areas, CONSISTANT over many years, is either out of Gloucester or Cape Cod, going to the same areas, Stellwagon Bank and Jefferys Ledge. It is all about the food. This is another peak year. Tours in the $40 range.

There is NO concern about "time of year" out of Hoonah. You will see humpbacks. 100% sightings. The cruise season always has whales.

I have been trying to convince my husband to go on an Alaska cruise for the last several years and so far he won't budge. I worked on a ship and did two seasons in Alaska and I know how incredibly breathtaking it can be. And the air is sooooooooooo fresh there. The thing is my husband loves scenery and taking pictures - Alaska would be a dream come true for him.

But for now, he's one of these people that just likes to cruise in the Caribbean....

I'll get him there eventually ;)

Archived