Rude and obnoxious Italian passeners make cruising the mediterranean unpleasant?

I'll be on the Navigator of the Seas in September (Royal Caribbean) for a mediterranean cruise. Am looking forward to it, as the layout of the ship is identical to the Mariner of the Seas (a lovely ship).

However, I noticed a theme recently on CC reviews of Navigator of the Seas--many people say it's a good ship, with the exception of its Italian passengers. Evidently, many of the Italian passengers are rude and obnoxious--as perceived by American and English passengers.

Is this the case? Any Italians or non-Italians here who think otherwise?

Behaviors cited include things like cutting in line, cussing out fellow passengers, etc.

I've heard Costa Cruise lines, being an Italian line, has a predominance of Italian passengers; and that the smoking is rather annoying.

I'm sure I'll have a great cruise regardless of who my fellow passengers are. Still, I'm curious--because this theme of rude and obnoxious Italians is a recurring theme in reviews for ships that sail the mediterranean.

Hate to start another negative thread, but I'm now intensely curious about this issue.

Mike

We were on the Millennium in Europe a few years ago. There was one big group of 450 passengers from another European country. Let's just say it's and ancient country with lots of history. The were the rudest passengers I ever sailed with.

In the gym they knocked you off the equipment. They wore bathrobes all over the ship. They piled onto the elevators before you could get off. They used their cell phones everywhere and any time including the shows and at dinner. They smoked wherever they wanted. They came to dinner 45 minutes late and expected to be seated. They constantly talked and took pictures during the show. They refused to ever wait in a line; whether it was the buffet, ice cream, pizza or for the tenders.

It got so bad the cruise line started posting signs everywhere telling "passengers" how to act.

We just cruises out of Civitavecchia and didn't notice ONE rude European passenger. Most of the time it is US Americans that look the worst. It was no different this time around. I have cruises out of many European ports and have never experienced anything but great things.

The best thing to remember is not all cultures are like ours. Most Europeans don't stand in line like we do. Our Italian teacher told us before we left on vacation that Italians don't wait in line... that is why God gave Italians elbows. That being said... The only rude behavior I witnessed was Americans.

Enjoy! There is nothing but good things on the Mediterranean and the Navigator. Those that worry too much about stuff like this... well.. it's just strange to me.

It's a question of management onboard if you as non-Italian will feel it or it.

On COSTA or MSC you have Italian Maître D's who accept and support such habit. So Italians were better treated than other nations and that's frustrating.

But of course you are right: If you are going on an US-ship you should expect that someone from the management will stop it and do not just let the passengers have to take care of themselves.

It's also a question:

Is there for instance an Italian speaking host onboard?

We were recently on NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS and started in Barcelona. But as the ship was bilingual all announcements and importants signs were made in Spanish and English. So normally the Spanish CAN (but MUST NOT) have the similiar mentality like the Italian (maybe more extreme - especially in the Summer monthes July and August and if they have their families with them) were under the control because they could not say: we did not understand.

It's a nice ship. With few exception the crew was not mine. I experienced nicer crews than on this ship and I do not want to spend everynight 20 USD in PORTOFINO to get great food and nice service.

Anyhow the ship is so large that you must not stay there where all big Italian groups are.

Go on the cruise and enjoy.

Regards,

HeinBloed

If I could recommend one thing, it's that people take reviews on CC with a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many times I've read reviews of the same cruise where one person says it was the worst experience ever and the other person had a lovely time.

I don't like to generalize, but there ARE cultural differences in this world, and not everything should always be done according to "American" lights. If people (and I don't mean you but the reviewers) cannot accept that, it's a pity that traveling didn't do more to enlighten them.

If I could recommend one thing, it's that people take reviews on CC with a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many times I've read reviews of the same cruise where one person says it was the worst experience ever and the other person had a lovely time.

I don't like to generalize, but there ARE cultural differences in this world, and not everything should always be done according to "American" lights. If people (and I don't mean you but the reviewers) cannot accept that, it's a pity that traveling didn't do more to enlighten them.

Beautifully stated. Thanks, Cynthia.

Thanks Cynthia. Yes, I should by now know better than to take CC reviews too seriously. But if there's a recurring theme, it gives me pause.

Indeed. And I try to adjust and not give offense. Travel is a great teacher, no doubt.

I'd always heard the stereotype that the French are rude and dislike Americans. I made an attempt to speak the little French I knew the last time in Paris, tried to observe all the local customs I could regarding politeness (e.g. a "bonjour madame / monsieur" and an "au revoir madame / monsieur) upon entering and exiting shops went a long way. Tried to modulate my voice on public transport, etc. And I had a wonderful time and people were nothing other than kind to me.

I better stay out of this discussion. If Makem is any indication, I'm going to be flamed horribly by those who misinterpret my intentions or who don't read carefully.

I won't flame you...... but I will agree that at least in my experience, the worst tourists in the "rude" department are Americans. We have cruised twice now in the Med and other areas and again, in my experience have only witnessed real unacceptable behavior from some of our fellow American travelers. One story: In Paris airport my dh and I were behind an American woman who had just received change back from a purchase. She was yelling at the clerk that it was not the correct amount. The clerk was trying to explain conversion rate etc etc... but the woman kept saying she was getting ripped off etc. Finally dh could stand no more - he tapped her on the shoulder and quietly told her that the amount she had been given was indeed correct and that she owed the clerk an apology.... well she walked off in a huff giving everyone nasty looks.

Both of our cruises have begun in Rome (one ended in Barcelona) and our last one had ALOT of Europeans, including many Italians onboard. While we did find some talked loud (they use their hands alot too :D) - we found them to be wonderful cruisemates. But then I must say that we loved everything about Italy, including the people and their zest for life.

This reminds me of another thread regarding sailing out of San Juan Puerto Rico...... and we LOVED that cruise too......

Worst rudeness - on Legend of the Seas out of Tampa - many older folks (Americans) mostly in scooters who I guess because they were in scooters thought they did not have to wait for the elevators like everyone else and would roll right over your toes to "beat you in" :eek:

Just my experiences

I won't flame you...... but I will agree that at least in my experience, the worst tourists in the "rude" department are Americans. We have cruised twice now in the Med and other areas and again, in my experience have only witnessed real unacceptable behavior from some of our fellow American travelers. One story: In Paris airport my dh and I were behind an American woman who had just received change back from a purchase. She was yelling at the clerk that it was not the correct amount. The clerk was trying to explain conversion rate etc etc... but the woman kept saying she was getting ripped off etc. Finally dh could stand no more - he tapped her on the shoulder and quietly told her that the amount she had been given was indeed correct and that she owed the clerk an apology.... well she walked off in a huff giving everyone nasty looks.

Both of our cruises have begun in Rome (one ended in Barcelona) and our last one had ALOT of Europeans, including many Italians onboard. While we did find some talked loud (they use their hands alot too :D) - we found them to be wonderful cruisemates. But then I must say that we loved everything about Italy, including the people and their zest for life.

This reminds me of another thread regarding sailing out of San Juan Puerto Rico...... and we LOVED that cruise too......

Worst rudeness - on Legend of the Seas out of Tampa - many older folks (Americans) mostly in scooters who I guess because they were in scooters thought they did not have to wait for the elevators like everyone else and would roll right over your toes to "beat you in" :eek:

Just my experiences

If we are going to generalize and stereotype, I would agree we are among the lower half here :o

I also agree with the other poster, if you are so worried about a "European" group, perhaps it be better you stay on "our" side of the ocean instead of venturing to their home waters and complaining about them :D:D

On a serious note, I've met the nicest as well as rude people from all places and walks of life. Enough so that I would never venture try to prejudge something. Stereotypes to have a basis for developing but why not just look beyond them and seek to understand perhaps the cultural difference that result in different behavior and come to accept/appreciate the difference. I agree rude language and poor consideration of peers/neighbors is likely bad behavior in any culture.

On our European cruise we didn't find any specific ethnic group/country to be so different as to think them rude or obnoxious. Individuals, yes, but as a group, no. If anything the were more fit and better dressed and more refined then from most from my country I think

I too will be on the Navigator out of Civitavecchia in September and appreciate the OP for asking the question and all the great responses. I've traveled in Italy before and had a wonderful time so I was really curious about the posts about rude behavior.

I try not to take posts too seriously because it seems to always stem from someones expectations of a cruise (I paid my money so it should be like this or that). That being said, I do find a lot of comments on this board very useful.

Thanks to all.

I did not realize that Italians do not wait in line. Something to keep in mind for our upcoming trip!

There is a joke that in China a line is half circle. I thought it was a joke till a saw the boarding process after the call at an airport in central China. It was less about rude people not willing to wait there turn versus simply the culture and accepted norm there. No different then the preception rightly or wrong of rude and uncivilized americans wearing shorts, tennis shoes and t-shirts out on vacation in Europe :D

I think back to all of our cruises and the most rude people have been the Americans. I'm ashamed to say that, but that's the truth.

I think that no matter what cruise line you go on, someone will complain about this subject. Don't dwell upon it - accept it for what it is - life in the world community. Is somebody rude - well, they got up on the wrong side of the bed - so sad for them. Move on and don't let it spoil your day.

OK, to keep it light, I had to LOL about this. I remember the first time we visited Paris and learning that the French don't line up like the Americans and the British. There was a mad rush for elevators to go down the Eiffel Tower, and we still laugh to this day about it. I felt like I was being decapitated at the waist from being pushed into a table by passengers from Spain at the Russian bazaar (which we call bizarre because the merchandise wasn't on sale!) on a Celebrity ship a few years ago. Europeans sometimes complain about Americans being loud, but we were next to LOUD passengers from Germany on our cruise last month. We're just glad to go anywhere and are very tolerant of other passengers. I think you should go with an open mind to learn about different cultures and just have a good time. BTW, I speak some French and have never been treated rudely in France either, so this is one of the reasons why I don't like stereotypes.

Donna

Just returned from a Navigator of the Seas cruise and most of the passengers were Italians No problems - actually a nice change of pace being on a cruise that wasn't just Americans

Thanks Dante and others. I was afraid to come back, but I'm glad the discussion remained cordial and helpful.

I have my share of rude American stories. More than once, I've apologized *for* rude people in customer-service situations, e.g. an Ugly American berating a airline ticket agent or a cashier or whoever. That type of behavior truly disgusts me.

I have my share of dumb American stories as well. I once got a variety of them from an Irish scholar working at a lovely 14th century church--he mentally collected "dumb questions from American tourists." One that has stayed with me:

Assumed Brooklynite: "We have better churches in America."

My Irish friend: "How so?"

Assumed Brookynite: "They're newer."

I think it's very true what others have stated--that you meet "good" and "bad" people everywhere and to keep an open mind. This said, there are certain cultural norms that others from outside the culture may find offensive--and vice-versa of course, again, as others have stated.

Researching what cultural differences there *might* be, to me, just makes good sense. It helps temper one's internal reaction (which could be quite negative). So I'm glad I posted the thread.

With the exception of certain moral issues, oh, let's say honor killings in the Middle East, I'm willing to adopt a bit of Cultural Relativism in my travels, adjust accordingly, and try not to be overly judgmental. I hope others I encounter continue to offer me the same courtesy. I feel bad for Japanese folks encountering foreign tourists. From what I've read, the Japanese grin and bear it while foreigners break every cultural norm "on the books." :-) I'm sure I inadvertently broke a few while I was in Japan.

Bruno Bozzetto, bozzetto.com, has some very cute flash movies that describe the differences between driving in most of Europe and in Italy and the differences between other Europeans and Italians. Rudeness takes all kinds of forms and the trick may be determining what is a cultural difference and what is really a rudeness. Best thing to do is to go with a sense of humor.

The first cruise we ever did was on MSC Sinfonia - 7 nights out of Genoa. The on-board mix was 50%+ Italian, maybe 20% German, 10% Spanish, and the remaining 15% or so a wide range; French, Dutch, Scandinavians, and so on. In the week we only ever heard a couple of other passengers speaking english.

We had a great time. The Italians certainly put on a good show for everyone else, while the Germans were as proper as the most stereotypical German you can imagine. I remember a German family with a couple of small boys, aged perhaps 4 & 6, both of whom wore little dinner jackets and bow ties on the formal nights.

Yes, there is some truth to national stereotypes, if you come across enough of that nationality all together. Italians in large numbers will have a percentage who talk loudly and gesticulate wildly, Germans will generally behave properly, while Brits will wear bad/unsuitable clothes, get drunk, and whinge (complain).

I belief you can not point a finger to any culture and say they are more rude then others. In every culture you will find polite and unpolished people and as many say, there are diffences in cultures and that's why you want to travel and see that difference. Just try to see the fun in it, except if someone is realy rude in behaviour.

Think about if you return home, you want to tell your family and friends that all the cultures you visit are the same as us, that will be a boring story.

I have my share of dumb American stories as well. I once got a variety of them from an Irish scholar working at a lovely 14th century church--he mentally collected "dumb questions from American tourists." One that has stayed with me:

Assumed Brooklynite: "We have better churches in America."

My Irish friend: "How so?"

Assumed Brookynite: "They're newer."

Billy Connolly tells a similar joke about an American visiting Glasgow Scotland. The American proudly tells the Scot that in his city they have a bridge that is over 200 years old. Billy responds by saying that just outside of Glasgow there's a bridge that is over 600 years old. It's called "New Bridge" -- but the "Old Bridge," just downriver from it, is still in use.

North America just can't compete with Europe's long history.

Archived