Is David worth seeing?

dlhoward

I just got back from a Med cruise in June and did Florence on my own, though I did use the Cruise Line's bus transfer. Bus guide gave some good info both enroute and while we walked through a portion of the city to our "drop off/meet up" point. I booked my multiple museum tickets ahead of time using http://www.selectitaly.com but I think I paid too much, at least in Florence. I just looked up the website provided by "grandbanksguy" and it appeared much cheaper. The ticket page is http://www.b-ticket.com/b-ticket/uffizi/venueAccademia.aspx. I'm not sure when you're cruising so availability may be limited. Having multiple ticket-purchasing options is a good idea anyway. Some don't let you book very far out in the future. I also used the pre-booking option for Venice (St. Mark's museum pass for my 3 days there) and I know it's available for Rome as well.

I personally loved David. Big, handsome, awe-inspiring guy----what's not to love :D

Hi,

Is it possible to see David on Monday when Accademia is closed? Is there another way? Or we are out of luck since our port day is Monday.

Stgy

Sorry, I don't know of any way to see David on Monday.....

There are 2 replicas of the statue around Florence, but they are not the same as seeing the "real deal". :(

David is definitely worth seeing. However, the rest of that museum is not that interesting unless you are really into medieval religious art.

Oh my, I have to respond to this, and the other poster who called it 'ancient'.

It's *renaissance* art people! It's Michaelangelo, for god's sakes!

And to the poster who wants to see David when the Accademia is closed, well, if that's where David is (it's been 40 years almost since I was there), then NO, you can't see the statue.

12 of us want to go to Florence. The ships excursion is $89 pp. They would drop you off and you would be on your own. Tickets to David would be $27. Only a few of us want to see him. A private driver would be $117 pp. They would get tickets at $15. With the private driver we could go see Pisa for photos if we had time. Are we better off going the cheaper way with the ship or would we be happier with the private driver? Is David worth seeing or would we rather do more leisure time?

Just returned from Florence. Don't bother with David, he is large and naked, but no much more. We had a private driver for the entire day at $69 Euro each. The tickets to David were $14 Euro each. Get a good driver and you can see the entire place everything. Our guy stopped at a castle for a pit stop on the way to Florence for no $$. He showed us all the sights in Florence and let us have 1 hr for lunch and shopping then picked us up at the covered bridge. Then on to see other sights. See as much as you can in 8 hrs. It is priceless, take all in.

the drivers took us to an church overlooking Florence. There we had 30' for exploration, pictures, then on to see David. It is worth doing reserved at the Accademia. Its a small museum, with David as the highlight. We waited less then 10' while the regular line was 100 meters long. We were out by 12 and driven to St. Croce for lunch and an hour around the square. Then they drove us to Dumo, Ponte Vecchia for another 45'- hour exploration. We then crossed the bridge to some of our best gellato of the whole trip. It was a very hot and humid summer day and as easy as Florence is to walk it was nice to have the AC van with cold water in it waiting for us at each stop.

I would say that you probably had the same driver as we did.....and you are right- the gelato was to die for!

Rome in Limos was the tour company. Laura was our driver, and the cost was 75 Euros per person, not $75. We were very pleased with the service. Not all of us wanted to see David, but Laura got us to the front of the line at the Accademia, that probably saved us 20 minutes.

Archived