Is David worth seeing?

dlhoward

12 of us want to go to Florence. The ships excursion is $89 pp. They would drop you off and you would be on your own. Tickets to David would be $27. Only a few of us want to see him. A private driver would be $117 pp. They would get tickets at $15. With the private driver we could go see Pisa for photos if we had time. Are we better off going the cheaper way with the ship or would we be happier with the private driver? Is David worth seeing or would we rather do more leisure time?

12 of us want to go to Florence. The ships excursion is $89 pp. They would drop you off and you would be on your own. Tickets to David would be $27. Only a few of us want to see him. A private driver would be $117 pp. They would get tickets at $15. With the private driver we could go see Pisa for photos if we had time. Are we better off going the cheaper way with the ship or would we be happier with the private driver? Is David worth seeing or would we rather do more leisure time?

You can by the tickets online for a specific time direct from the museum for 10.5 euros http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/musei/accademia/ . The $117pp for the driver for 12 looks to be a bit high. Some people on our cruise are using Rome in Limo http://www.romeinlimo.com/livorno.htm at 75 euros pp for 8 people. But in any event do see the David. You will not be dissapointed. We are going back for the second time in September doing Florence on our own. Princess is only charging us $59 pp for the bus trip to Florence.

Michelangelo's David (which I assume is what you mean as there are several famous "Davids" in Florence) is considered by many to be the greatest work of art:

a) of the Renaissance or

b) of Western civilization

c) of any human anywhere

I subscribe to B above (except when I am actually seeing it at which point it ALWAYS promotes itself to C).

Why one would find oneself in Tuscany and not see it is beyond my (admittedly limited) comprehension. To each her/his own, of course. I was once in Belgium with someone who wanted a Miller Lite .. anything is possible.

Although there are ancient sculptures I like more, I agree that seeing Michelangelo's David is worthwhile, however you get there.

I don't understand why you price tickets at $27/each. Don't go through a middleman, use the museum's direct ordering (either through their website or on the phone). There is no charge until you actually pick up your tickets, so if for some reason you don't make it there, you won't lose any $$.

Yes, but we have 12 so it would be 2 vans quoted at 1000E which comes out to $117 US. I would like to see the old bridge. Is this far if we just get dropped off in Florence? If we aren't into museums, and want to shop what else besides the bridge is interesting to see?

I would chime in as others and say PRIVATE! We rented two van in Venice for a party of 14. The money is only one small aspect to consider. You get so much more with the Private. What you see will rival the more expensive tours the cruiseline offers. You've spent big bucks already on the airfare and cruise, don't shortchange the last mile so to speak :D

We saw and climbed Pisa in the AM. Even my 81 year old dad was motivated and made it to the top. On the way to Florence we got a driving tour of the town next to Pisa and some of the historical sites. Next, the drivers took us to an church overlooking Florence. There we had 30' for exploration, pictures, then on to see David. It is worth doing reserved at the Accademia. Its a small museum, with David as the highlight. We waited less then 10' while the regular line was 100 meters long. We were out by 12 and driven to St. Croce for lunch and an hour around the square. Then they drove us to Dumo, Ponte Vecchia for another 45'- hour exploration. We then crossed the bridge to some of our best gellato of the whole trip. It was a very hot and humid summer day and as easy as Florence is to walk it was nice to have the AC van with cold water in it waiting for us at each stop.

BTW Here is a overview of just a few attractions on the to do list.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Florence.htm

Or wikki is always a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence

Good luck with your planning

Yes, David is worth seeing, IMO, but perhaps not in yours. (Also, the incomplete slave statues by Michelangelo immediately before the David.)

However, you certainly do not need to spend $27 per person to see it.

Do not miss the David!

However you get into Florence! DO get the tix ahead, whether by private tour, or on you own!

The unfinished prisoners leading up to him is a revelation into the process of the Master!

If we aren't into museums, and want to shop what else besides the bridge is interesting to see?

Get a copy of "Frommer's Florence Day by Day" and read or at least go to a book store and check out the travel section. Your question is like asking what color suit you should buy, and we have never seen you. If you listen to what other people are interested in, there is a chance that you will be disapointed. Not knowing you, we can only tell you what we like. That includes the Duomo, the Ufitzi, Accademia, Mercato Centrale, Gelateria Vivoli, Ponte Vecchio, Piazzeli Michelangelo, Santa Croce, Boboli Gardens, the Sinogoga Museo Ebraico, walking along the Arno, etc., etc. The Frommer's will give you info on the sites and how long it takes to visit each, where to find the best shopping, and places to eat.

I will underscore what others have already said. We all have seen pictures of David many times, but I was overwhelmed when I saw it in person. It was a fabulous experience. The genius of Michaelangelo is easy to appreciate when you see it particularly in conjunction with some of the other unfinished works there.

Thanks to all for the good tips. We are doing Florence on Your Own in August (RCI) and appreciate comments from experienced CCers. I need to book our tickets. :eek:

Kathy

By all means see David, he is very impressive. We I went a few years ago I pre-purchased my admission tickets and avoided a VERY long line...unfortunately I can't remember where i ordered them from...but well worth it. I always recommend a private guide...it saves soooo much time and you are able to tailor your day to your likes. Our guide would drive us from place to place and we'd jump out and see what we wanted to see and hop back in....if you are an explorer they can arrange time for that too. Personally, I will avoid ships tours at all costs. We are off to Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt next week and have gone with a private guide in both Turkey and Egypt...don;t waste your precious time!

Paul

Try this for David tickets

weekendafirenze@weekendafirenze.com

I would vote to go see the David and Pisa with a private guide. That is what we did in 2003 and we felt it was definitely worth it. We used the following private guide.

http://www.florencetour.com/

I think the thing to think about is "How many times will I make it to Florence?".

If the answer is that we will be back again many times then take the cheaper ship's tour and don't go to the David. If the answer is this may be our only time then go with the private tour. IMHO.

Have a great next cruise.

I actually disagree. Yes David was cool to see but the rest of the museum was not good. Maybe if we had a guide explain all the intricacies of the statue and etc it would be difference. I wish we pre-booked tickets to the Ufitzi as that line was soooo long we couldn't get in.

Highly recommend visiting the Ponte Veccio, no line, <10 EUR and awesome looking place.

Yes, but we have 12 so it would be 2 vans quoted at 1000E which comes out to $117 US. I would like to see the old bridge. Is this far if we just get dropped off in Florence? If we aren't into museums, and want to shop what else besides the bridge is interesting to see?

It is time for me to go back to Florence -- it has been 30 years and I am sure that much has changed. We spent 3 months living 1/2 block from the Academie where Michelangelo's David was housed. IT WAS FREE:D then. We loved this city. The plaza above the city gives a wonderful view. I am not much into art but the Pitti Palace blew my mind and even our four year liked the "picture place". Gelatto is definitely a must and just walking around the city and markets will fill your day wonderfully. Also don't forget the Cathedral. Enjoy!

With 12 people I would go with a private guide. That way you can see what you want and make the most of your time without having to be concerned about how to get from one place to the next. We were able to do/see more with the private guide, and also had more free time to relax and enjoy Florence without rushing.

We used Fabrizio from allarounditaly.net and he was an excellent guide. Prices were competitive as well.

I took my 16 year old nephew to Italy, and when he was standing in front of "David" he turned to me with a tear in his eyes and said "Thank You!" That is what most people experience.

If we get tickets for 12:00 noon in advance, how long should it take for us to see David and a very quick look around the rest of the museum?

One hour if you are an art buff, 30 minutes if you just want to focus on the Michelangelo sculptures (David and the unfinished slaves).

Archived