Double Loungers on Nautica?

Luxury For Less

We are considering doing an Oceana cruise next year. While in Barcelona last week Nautica was docked below our hotel room. We noted about eight double loungers under cover on the top deck at the front of the ship. Is it a bunfight to get these loungers or are you able to book them in advance?

I am still waiting for the Oceana brochure to arrive in the post which may well answer my question but would appreciated any thoughts in the meantime.

We are considering doing an Oceana cruise next year. While in Barcelona last week Nautica was docked below our hotel room. We noted about eight double loungers under cover on the top deck at the front of the ship. Is it a bunfight to get these loungers or are you able to book them in advance?

I am still waiting for the Oceana brochure to arrive in the post which may well answer my question but would appreciated any thoughts in the meantime.

You can book them in advance for the whole cruise

If you want just certain days you can book once onboard & if still available.

Hope you get the right brochure as the cruise line is OCEANIA not Oceana which is a P & O ship :D

Lyn

We reserved a Cabana on a Med cruise last year...be sure to ask Oceania if they have solved the noise problem. The screens that divide the cabanas are held in place with metal rods, into metal tracks...when under way, the wind blows the canvas curtains/screens and makes one heck of a racquet! Otherwise, quite nice to have some private space when out to sea.

We reserved a Cabana on a Med cruise last year...be sure to ask Oceania if they have solved the noise problem. The screens that divide the cabanas are held in place with metal rods, into metal tracks...when under way, the wind blows the canvas curtains/screens and makes one heck of a racquet! Otherwise, quite nice to have some private space when out to sea.

Interesting. We have a cabana reserved for our cruise, and haven't heard about the noise from anyone else. I hope the noise is tolerable, we're looking forward to having our own little piece of real estate on the ship.

I hope the noise is tolerable, we're looking forward to having our own little piece of real estate on the ship.

We never noticed any noise from the partitions between the Cabanas .....and we spent a lot of time in our Cabana.

Those iced towels are heaven after a long sweaty day ashore.......and if the cabana boy should happen to have a vodka/tonic in his free hand, who am I to grouse?

IMG_0225JPG

As far as the wind is concerned, who can predict how it will blow, however, the cabana area is basically enclosed on three sides by glass "walls", so unless the ship was going full speed astern, any wind generated by the motion of the ship would usually be non issue.

We were in the Mediterranean in early to mid June, and it was hot enough so that we ALWAYS had the fan on, with the misters.

OMG, these cabanas sound utterly decadent. I want one! :p:p

Anyone have experience with reserving a cabana during a fall/winter transatlantic? We're on Regatta this Nov/09 Barcelona-Miami & would really enjoy the cabana during those long sea days. But not sure if temps/wind would be kind. Any comments?

We did last Nov Barcelona to Miami and it was COLD. Only a couple of narrow windows of time where it was pool weather. Lots of people on deck but fully dressed and usually huddling under blankets as well.

If you want heat, do the Rio crossing which is wonderfully hot, as it crosses the equator.

Mo

Thanks for the reassurance on the noise. I'm hoping my cabana boy has a nicely chilled dry martini, 3 olives please

gin-gimlet-thumb.jpgLOL, actually I'm a grey goose gimlet guy......but if you start drinking them in the afternoon......you might miss the cocktail hour entirely! :eek: So we stick with something lighter, early on.

regattaskewersvirtual.jpg

Speaking of light refreshments, the fruit skewers are delightful. (Note: the rasberry dipping sauce is to die for).

Whilst sailing around Italy, several of us "Cabana people" used to meet up on deck 11 for the various sailaways. We'd have the skewers with a bottle of Proseco.......it was magical

We had the cabana for a fall Eastern Med cruise, the weather was spectacular so we got good use of the cabana. We did speak with the Hotel Manager about the noise and he mentioned they were aware of it and trying to figure out a work around or replacement system, so perhaps they have by now...I ended up folding pieces of paper and wrapping them around each support leg..it worked for a few hours at a time.

Book one at least for a day (I believe $100/day if available once you board) and enjoy..it is truly a treat (If quiet!) Try for one on the either end, they are larger and have more glass/view.

StanandJim,

OK, this is gonna be paradise! Chilled fruit skewers and Prosecco, yum. I wonder if we could get some orange juice to make mimosas?

I've never had a Gimlet, but I do love ice cold Grey Goose on the rocks with lime. I think I'm sounding a little too fond of alcohol. But I do enjoy being on a ship, watching the sea, with a really good cocktail. It doesn't get much better than that as far as I'm concerned.

OK, this is gonna be paradise! Chilled fruit skewers and Prosecco, yum. I wonder if we could get some orange juice to make mimosas?

I've never had a Gimlet, but I do love ice cold Grey Goose on the rocks with lime. I think I'm sounding a little too fond of alcohol. But I do enjoy being on a ship, watching the sea, with a really good cocktail. It doesn't get much better than that as far as I'm concerned

Satchiesmom,

Re the orange juice, they'll bring you just about anything that you want in the cabana.

If you like a well prepared cocktail, you'll love your cabana. The service on deck 11 is very like the old days of cruising....

Real glassware, honest to god silverware, cloth napkins, doilies under everything, and ,so help me, bud vases!

If you've had iced Grey Goose with lime, you've basically had "my' gimlet.

Warning, drinking too much of it, can cause you to spell Prosecco incorrectly

Warning, drinking too much of it, can cause you to spell Prosecco incorrectly

I'm so LOL right now! I'm glad the orange juice won't be a problem, I love Mimosas. When I make them at home I float a bit of Chambord on the top.

When we sailaway I'll have a Gimlet (Grey Goose of course) for you.

Susan

gin-gimlet-thumb.jpgLOL, actually I'm a grey goose gimlet guy......but if you start drinking them in the afternoon......you might miss the cocktail hour entirely! :eek: So we stick with something lighter, early on.

regattaskewersvirtual.jpg

Speaking of light refreshments, the fruit skewers are delightful. (Note: the rasberry dipping sauce is to die for).

Whilst sailing around Italy, several of us "Cabana people" used to meet up on deck 11 for the various sailaways. We'd have the skewers with a bottle of Proseco.......it was magical

I was thinking the same thing. I used to drink vodka gimlets (Kettle One) back in the day. Not only would I miss cocktail hour, I'd probably miss dinner also. LOL! How was the trip?

The "Cabana Boys" will even bring you lunch or, even better, afternoon tea! They also brought us a silver ice bucket on a stand to chill my Pellegrino! I highly recommend the rental for a Panama Canal Cruise - you get to see the transit head on and don't miss anything on either side. Our friends booked one also and we opened the curtain between for a wide open space. Heaven!

Kathie

We returned from our cruise only 2 weeks ago and had booked a cabana for one day only. Others had booked theirs for the entire cruise. There happened to be a lot of children on our cruise and they played shuffleboard ALL DAY and this happened to be just outside the cabanas. I would have welcomed the noise of the screens if we had been able to hear it above the noise of the children. I ended up being glad we only had the one day. The are fabulous and I would book it again and just hope that we get to enjoy it a little more next time.

We returned from our cruise only 2 weeks ago and had booked a cabana for one day only. Others had booked theirs for the entire cruise. There happened to be a lot of children on our cruise and they played shuffleboard ALL DAY and this happened to be just outside the cabanas. I would have welcomed the noise of the screens if we had been able to hear it above the noise of the children. I ended up being glad we only had the one day. The are fabulous and I would book it again and just hope that we get to enjoy it a little more next time

Long Reef-

I think that you may have been on the same cruise as we were (were you on the Nautica?).

I'm sorry that you had a problem with noise from those children. We do wish that they would relocate Shuffleboard to that area aft of the jogging track on deck 10 (just outside the lobby for Polo/Tuscana/the Library).

Overall, we are glad to say, noise from those deck games rarely lasted longer than two hours. Shuffleboard is just not that interesting a game.

You would probably have been fine the next day in your Cabana, if you had booked for the whole cruise.

Incidently, we always keep our noise cancelling headphones and some version of an Ipod or walkman in our cabana bag.....btw, if you book a whole cruise Cabana, Oceania provides the cababa bag complete with visors, sunscreen and lip balm! :)

Archived