Payment for Rome Hotel?

jspirit

What is the best way to pay approx. $ 1000.00 for a 3 night stay at a Rome hotel?

Euros cash- no discount offered, and too much to carry around.

Between credit card and debit card- same or is there an extra fee when using the credit card?

I know at bank machines cruise critics have recommended using debit cards to avoid unnecessary extra fees.

Thanks for your help.

What is the best way to pay approx. $ 1000.00 for a 3 night stay at a Rome hotel?

Between credit card and debit card- same or is there an extra fee when using the credit card?

I know at bank machines cruise critics have recommended using debit cards to avoid unnecessary extra fees.

Thanks for your help.

For that much I'd pay CC#. If you have a Capital One they are good as they have no exchange fee. Pick one up if you have good credit and time. We did that last year they were quick ~ 1 month before the card showed up.

If not I'd still pay CC, I'd much rather swallow a few % exchange fee versus carrying an extra 1000 euros. ( Call your card to get the specific exchange fee. ) Of course you could look to extract that much in 3-4 seperate stops at an ATM ( that assumes a 250-300 euro limit/transaction / day ). I'm sure the hotel will take euros in travels checques. You might check if your local bank issues them in euros for a fee or not. Your local AAA is also worth a check if you are a member.

Good luck

We have always paid by CC.Alwyas has seemed safer,no need to take out that much in an ATM and no way to carry that kind of cash...just MHO.Even if small fee on CC still easier.Never charged more for a room.Totally agree with Chipmaster.

If there's no cash discount, credit card is probably best. If you don't have a Capital One card, check your existing MC/Visa cards and see which one has the lowest foreign transaction fee. If one is lower, I'd plan to use it the most.

We always use our American Express card first for everything !!! At home or on vacation. Unlike other posters here....we found our Amex to be accepted in most places while in Europe. There were a few places that said no....but then we just used a Visa or MC (Discover is not taken anywhere).

We get rewards points for every dollar spent and use those to purchase our airline tickets !!!! We always pay the balance in full at the end of the month so no finance charge. We travel alot and havent had to pay for at least 2/3 of our airline tickets..... nice perk.

I'm sure the hotel will take euros in travels checques. You might check if your local bank issues them in euros for a fee or not. Your local AAA is also worth a check if you are a member.

Good luck

Many hotels in Italy and Europe in general will not take travellers cheques in Euros, so don't count on this without checking with the hotel first. Even when you do find a bank or post office to cash them, you will still have to pay a charge.

Lisa

Thanks for your help.

You should check with your banking institution and find out what their exact fees are for using your card overseas. imo the best way to pay for hotels is to just use your card instead of carrying money.

Archived