Why Bring Your Own Booze?

Hi Folks;

This is not a flame at people, nor is it a shot at people. I'm looking for an honest answer.

If you break down the cost of a cruise, it is pretty cheap all things considered. Even at say $200 a day for top of the line cabin and amenities, it still includes all of your ship board entertainment, and food. A resort in the Caribbean-a good one- starts at around that or more per day. I just had friends come back from Atlantis and pay 425 a night. This doesn't include food.

Now why to people feel a need to take money from the cruise line by bringing thier own booze on board? How much are you really saving? Is it worth the hassle to pack it carefully, worry about security finding it, or worse have your bottle of 12 year old scotch decorate your clothes?

Just being curious and looking for answers. I keep going back to something my travel agent told me... If you can't afford to go, come home one day early.

Thoughts?

We haven't taken our own but I can't say I haven't thought about it. Not mixed drinks too much of a hassle. But like wine? You can buy a bottle for the cost of one glass on the ship. I understand them needing to make a profit but if they didn't inflate the prices quite so much maybe less people would try it.

Mostly because we like to have a couple of drinks in our cabin and on our balcony.

We purchase *many* drinks on the ship! We don't necessarily take our own to save money. We like the convenience of having spirits available to make our own drinks. We never mix drinks and then carry them around the ship - they're for in-cabin consumption only. Then we leave and go get several DOD's! LOL

How much are you really saving?

Ummmm.... A bottle of top shelf whisky is about $25 (for the small bottle) A 6 pack of diet coke is about $5, that's $30.

At @ about $7 per drink on board, Let's say 4 drinks per day = $28 (plus gratuity/tip == $35) multiply that by 6 days = $210

I'm saving $180

Now, if DH decides to drink too, then double that savings.

Is it worth the hassle to pack it carefully, worry about security finding it

Yes

or worse have your bottle of 12 year old scotch decorate your clothes

Yes, worth the hassle

At the risk of being flamed... we'd really rather not! But we probably will. We purchase suites with balconies and do not want to have to sit in a lounge late at night to enjoy an adult beverage when we could be sitting on the balcony having alone time. During the day and early evening is a different story as we love to get to know the bartenders on board and tip beyond the standard % so they like us too! :D. As a 50ish couple, it has nothing to do with money - it's convience. On Princess or HAL we don't have to worry about this restriction because we can simply order scotch up to the room - there is a slight upcharge, but no different than any hotel. Since I'm a champagne kind of gal, I'm good to go because I can do room service to my hearts content... but I was very surprised to hear that you cannot order a bottle of spirits to the cabin on RCCL. We've been able to on the other lines we've been on. Perhaps they could institute an 'experience rating' for repeat cruisers who know have to behave themselves. :rolleyes:

It's not so much about the cost, for me it really was a matter of convenience. Before I made Diamond if I wanted to have a sip of wine on the balcony, I would have to schlep down to a bar and bring the wine back to the room, which I did. Then I decided I could slip a little wine on board to tide me over, which I did. Since we normally did not have to worry about flying, we did not have any concerns about extra luggage. My wine always came through, the only thing that ever broke was shampoo..ugh whata mess! But the wine did not taste soapy!!!!

Now I just go up to the Concierge Lounge, I'm not exactly sure what that will bring after Sept. 1, but if need be I can go back to bootlegging:rolleyes::eek:,that can be arranged .

As it stands now, with RCI springing for a glass of wine before dinner, I usually have some left over at dinner that I can take back to the cabin.

Besides if I left the ship a day early it would be a long swim and RCI would not reduce my fare:(.

I think if they were more reasonable people would buy more. I know I limit myself to one drink per evening because I know how fast the bill can add up when hubby and I are both drinking. I would drink more.

Let's get serious here. A margarita is about $8 for mediocre tequilla. If I am "out and about for the night" I can start pre dinner with a drink, or two, and then have 2 more after dinner thru the course of the evening. That's $32 a night. Times 6 evenings and you have about $190.

I'm considering not packing any stow away booze for our next cruise because we have access to the concierge lunge for pre dinner drinks. But when I think of some of the times I might want to have a rita on deck, etc, I could easily see where I might spend between $10 and $30 on drinks during the day. When I consider that, I figure it's just plain cheaper to pack a small bottle of booze and make myself dinks intead of spending the $$ on board.

Now why to people feel a need to take money from the cruise line by bringing thier own booze on board?

Care to explain how I am taking money from the cruise line because I choose to bring some of my own liquor on board? I choose to bring some of my own liquor because I may want to drink in my room. That doesn’t mean I want to order room service and wait however long it takes or leave my room to go to a bar and get a drink. I would be very happy to pay for a bottle to have in my room but that is not an option, unlike a vast number of other cruise lines.

How much are you really saving?

You assume wrong. It is not always about saving money. It just might be for the convenience. My sign and sail is at least $100 per day.

Is it worth the hassle to pack it carefully, worry about security finding it, or worse have your bottle of 12 year old scotch decorate your clothes?

Pouring some liquor into a plastic bag and sticking it in my packed shoe is hardly a hassle. I don’t worry about security because they either find it or they don’t (rumrunners are very rarely found and rarely leak.)

Just being curious and looking for answers. I keep going back to something my travel agent told me... If you can't afford to go, come home one day early.

Again, a wrong assumption. You assume it is about money. Your travel agent is an idiot if he/she actually said that. If you can’t afford to go, how do you come back early from somewhere you never went to?

Hi Folks;

This is not a flame at people, nor is it a shot at people. I'm looking for an honest answer.

If you break down the cost of a cruise, it is pretty cheap all things considered. Even at say $200 a day for top of the line cabin and amenities, it still includes all of your ship board entertainment, and food. A resort in the Caribbean-a good one- starts at around that or more per day. I just had friends come back from Atlantis and pay 425 a night. This doesn't include food.

Now why to people feel a need to take money from the cruise line by bringing thier own booze on board? How much are you really saving? Is it worth the hassle to pack it carefully, worry about security finding it, or worse have your bottle of 12 year old scotch decorate your clothes?

Thoughts?

Hi thestonewolf,

You are making an assumption that the ONLY reason people bring booze on board is to save money. There are other reasons people bring booze on board. Mainly for convenience.

Many other cruise lines provide the option of purchasing beer or mini liquor bottles or 1/4 bottle wines from the mini-fridge (like an upscale hotel). Carnival and NCL do, as well as others. RCI does not provide this option.

RCI used to let adults purchase liquor from the on board shop, pay a convenience fee of $9 to bring a bottle back to their cabin for in room consumption and then there was little need for folks to bring their own for convenience. RCI no doubt made money doing this, but apparently not enough...or was it the infamous Smith incident that stopped it...who knows?

Oh, and welcome to cruise critic.

Just my thoughts on why people bring their own,

Colleen

I'm not getting past the comment of $200 for a top of the line cabin. You are meaning per person, right?

The least we've paid per person for a balcony cabin (including tips, taxes) has been $91.50 per person and we feel we got a real bargain there. I don't really consider a balcony cabin to be a top of the line cabin, just an average cabin with an extra piece of real estate.

If we do (and most times we don't) take alcohol aboard a ship is for our convenience and nothing else. Not to save any money, just to have it in the cabin for a drink before dinner. And....just my husband, since I don't want to drink Jack Daniels.

Like Ladylouwho stated, RCI used to allow you to purchase a bottle and pay a service fee to take it back to your cabin, they did away with that in(I think) 2005 or 2006. PIA to go get a drink and bring it back to the cabin.

Hi Folks;

Thoughts?

For me it was never about taking money from the cruise line. It's about having a drink on my balcony before I turn in for the night.

In the past, before a few people who couldn't be responsible with how much they drank runied it for everyone, I'd buy a bottle of Baily's, pay the corkage fee and take it back to my room where I'd enjoy an evening drink relaxing on my balcony. You can't do that now.

IMHO, there's to much to risk by trying to sneak a bottle onboard in your luggage. Granted the most they'd probably do is confiscate your booze but, it'd be my luck they'd kick me off the ship. It's not worth the risk to me to sneak a bottle onto the ship. It's also not worth it to me to buy a drink at the bar and take it all the way back to my room. A minor thing I know but to much of a hassle to me to go to the bar, order the drink and then take it all the way back to my cabin. So I just do without and leave it at that. It saves me money and it's probably better for me anyway.

For me it was never about taking money from the cruise line. It's about having a drink on my balcony before I turn in for the night.

In the past, before a few people who couldn't be responsible with how much they drank runied it for everyone, I'd buy a bottle of Baily's, pay the corkage fee and take it back to my room where I'd enjoy an evening drink relaxing on my balcony. You can't do that now.

IMHO, there's to much to risk by trying to sneak a bottle onboard in your luggage. Granted the most they'd probably do is confiscate your booze but, it'd be my luck they'd kick me off the ship. It's not worth the risk to me to sneak a bottle onto the ship. It's also not worth it to me to buy a drink at the bar and take it all the way back to my room. A minor thing I know but to much of a hassle to me to go to the bar, order the drink and then take it all the way back to my cabin. So I just do without and leave it at that. It saves me money and it's probably better for me anyway.

Doug.........you are a man after my own heart! I used to purchase several bottles of different liquors onboard, to be able to have friends in to our cabin for a cocktail at sailaway, or just enjoy great companionship.

We are D+ and always sail in a full suite........so we have access to the concierge lounge.....or the alternate........so we have free liquor anytime after 5 PM that we choose...........oh, yea...up till 8 or 8:30 PM, depending on the late dinner hour.

Why do I continue to have liquor in my cabin? To be able to offer someone a drink, which is the social thing to do........still in this day and age.

No one has ever been kicked off.........or not been allowed to board...because they have liquor with them........that I'm aware of!

The day that it's taken from me......is the day that I say "good bye" to RCCL!

Rick

Doug.........you are a man after my own heart! I used to purchase several bottles of different liquors onboard, to be able to have friends in to our cabin for a cocktail at sailaway, or just enjoy great companionship.

We are D+ and always sail in a full suite........so we have access to the concierge lounge.....or the alternate........so we have free liquor anytime after 5 PM that we choose...........oh, yea...up till 8 or 8:30 PM, depending on the late dinner hour.

Why do I continue to have liquor in my cabin? To be able to offer someone a drink, which is the social thing to do........still in this day and age.

No one has ever been kicked off.........or not been allowed to board...because they have liquor with them........that I'm aware of!

The day that it's taken from me......is the day that I say "good bye" to RCCL!

Rick

I miss the days of paying the upcharge and being able to take the bottle back to the room. I wonder if the cruise line would be upset if hubby dashed off the balcony in his robe and up to the schooner bar? We were on the Serendade with about 300 other Diamond/Diamond Pluss cruisers in May. The CL, in the Vortex, was open but not providing free drinks on two of the nights of our sailing. It was amazing how empty the lounge was. We enjoyed the lounge both nights with the same amount of drinks that we had on the other nights. Hubby wants his drink and sometimes two after we go back to the cabin. It is a pain in the behind to have to go to a bar or order room service and wait. I don't understand why you can still order the wine package and take the bottle back to your cabin with you from dinner or a bar. It will be interesting to see how things play out after 9/1. I also find it interesting how many drinks will be served to someone staying late in the bars.

Hi Folks;

Thoughts?

An honest answer you want, and honest answer you will get.

* I don't see the relevance of a cruise being relatively cheap. I agree with the posters who have noted that you are assuming that people bring their own alcohol aboard because they don't want to spend the money to buy drinks. Anyone I have conversed with about his subject has done so either for convenience, private time (who wants to answer the door to room service at 2 a.m. in their robe or other unmentionables, etc.), or as in Rick's example, socializing in the cabin. And you know what? If I did run into someone on board who was mixing their own drinks while out and about the ship...who cares? I suspect they are the minority, and in any event, are not affecting my fun.

* Regarding top resorts and comparative costs, I've been to resorts, all-inclusive, top shelf liquors, jacuzzi in the room, Grand Marnier for dessert, food that inspired me to take a picture of every dish, etc....for much less than I've spent on most cruises. I still choose cruising over any other vacation, but it's not because it's the most affordable...because it's not.

* Take money from the cruise lines? I can't agree with that assumption, either. I'm sure people who have a drink in their cabin for convenience would just not have a drink if forced to go get it or order it from room service, so either way the cruise line is not losing money. I would imagine the same theory holds true for those who would cart their own drinks around in the public areas.

* Your travel agent's advice confuses me. Obviously it would not work for a cruise, but even with a land-based trip wouldn't, "If you can't afford to go, stay home" make more sense?

How much does it run? What is the most expensive per glass price? Trying to decide if we should do a wine package because we are wine drinkers. Thanks!

You can see the full wine list (bottles and by the glass) if you follow the link in my signature.

My opinion of the wine list is that the lower end wines are overpriced, but if you move up in quality, you can find some good deals at 1.5 to 2x retail, sometimes even less (I'm basing it on prices in California). For example, a bottle of Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay is $38.00 on sale in the market, but $49 onboard. That's a terrific price. Yes, it's expensive, but it's way more than twice as good as La Terrible, the house wine that sells for $22 or so, or a Mondavi that sells for the high $20s. Or the Stag's Leap Merlot, which is $65 on the wine list and about $30 on sale.

There is only one wine on the list that is "hundreds and hundreds," and that's Opus One at $285. Other than that, only about half a dozen even pass the $100 mark.:)

I wouldn't smuggle good wine onboard. Never mind their confiscating it - at least I (theoretically) would get it back at the end of the cruise. But if my packing failed and a good Petite Syrah broke, I would cry buckets!

Our bar bill for the cruise was roughly $600, but we took 4 bottles of Cava a bottle of Rum and a few bottles of red wine with us too. When we are on vacation we like to have a bottle of wine on the balcony during the afternoon. It would have cost us far too much if we had bought it all on board as their prices are well over the top. One of the wines we can buy in the UK for £6.50 on board they were charging £33.00.

Archived