Beware of wheelchair issues on Rhapsody

People who need wheelchairs should take them on when they board. RCCL does not have enough chairs to cater to everyone and they will tell you if you simply ask what you need to do when someone in the party needs a WC. Why do so many people feel like the cruisline should provide everything for them. My hubby is handicapped and we would never presume to travel without his chair or scooter. Why would we expect someone else to take care of us? Never ceases to amaze me.

Yes, but if you're coming in from overseas and are renting a wheelchair then you will need w/c assistance from RCI when boarding and disembarking, because the wheelchair will be delivered to the cabin (and will need to be left in the cabin at the end of the holiday).

W/C assistance with boarding and disembarkation is something that is *offered* by RCI and can be very useful if coming in from overseas.

For newly disabled people, coming in from overseas, this help can be a godsend. Yes, I bought myself a wheelchair so won't need to borrow one from RCI, but I might have gone the other route of renting from Care Vacations or whatever, in which case I'd have been very grateful for someone from RCI to help me in one of their wheelchairs at the beginning and end of my holiday.

We bought a transport chair when DH had foot surgery (little wheels instead of big ones). Cost was $100 online, free shipping, no tax.

We're taking it as a piece of luggage when we go on our family cruise in December. When Grandma gets to FLL airport, we'll have the transport chair with us to pick her up, and we'll take it on our cruise.

I agree that people should be responsible for themselves and not assume their special needs will be accommodated at all times. With our transport chair with us, we don't have to worry about whether there will be one available for Grandma. Worth every penny of the $100.

Peggy, I agree.My mom has COPD and uses a cane and when we are out for long periods, she gets tired. Last year I brought her to a Real estate convention in Atlantic City and the convention center is huge, so I did not want to make her walk and also did not want to miss any seminars. So I went tio freecycle.org and got one, criagslist also has people getting rid of some. Ours folds and came in real handy this year as she had uterine cancer surgery (she is cancer free now and back o her feet) and needed it for a few weeks after. It is easy to store and gives you piece of mind.

I still do not understand why people are so nasty on this thread.

I rent a chair for my mom...........it is ON the ship....RCCL OFFERS a SERVICE to ASSIST pax to board...with RCCL wheelchairs.....:rolleyes: THUS...I would PRESUME that if they OFFER a SERVICE, we can use said service.

And if I could actually get someone at a healthcare supply company in my area to HELP me....we will get one of our own.(i have NO idea how to go about it...can't get simple answers to questions)....but unfortunately, the attitudes of the people who work in my local med equipment store are almost as bad as the ones of some of the posters on CC.:mad:

Oh for goodness sake, follow this link!http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=wheelchair

Buying a manual wheelchair isn't difficult. You buy one. Pay cash, or put it on your credit card. Job done. You can look in your local shopper and find one cheap, if all you need it for is to get on/off the ship, or to get through airports, or whatever.

I fully understand that some people only need limited assistance -- getting on/off the ship (and to their cabin where a rental chair is available), or through the airport, or whatever. Those of us who use wheelchairs full time (I do), do understand that.

But a cruise ship is not a medical facility. They can't expect to have wheelchairs for EVERYONE who might need one. They have a limited number, and when they're used, they're used.

What kinds of basic questions do you have that your medical supply store isn't answering? Again..a manual chair or a transport chair purchase isn't rocket science. Buy one.

i never said it was a medical facility. my supply place will not answer squat. i am not an idiot and i do not expect to be treated like one. i don't even know if i can lift one.

you obviously haven't dealt with the people in my area....never said it was rocket science but you can't apparently walk in off the street and buy one.:rolleyes::mad:

You'll pay to rent but won't pay to buy?

that is not the issue..........never mind you obviously would not understand the PITAs that work in the 3 stores in my area. NOWHERE did i say that i would not BUY one....the continual need for same basically manifested itself about 3 weeks ago..........................i give up.

i never said i won't pay to buy one........................................forget it......:rolleyes:

again, when did this board STOP being helpful????

Wanna bet they also do not tip the skycap that pushed them around the airport?

Oh, sorry, I mentioned tipping! Let us not digress as to whether or not the cruise passenger should also tip the porter wheeling them on or off a the beginning or end of the cruise....after all, the cruise line DOES offer the service....etc,etc,etc.

well this isn't the case in my situation....the wheelchair pushers were tipped handsomely.

If you do decide to buy a wheelchair or a transport chair, make sure you "test drive" it in the store with your mother. Transport chairs are lighter but they only have small wheels in the front and back and are not good on uneven surfaces. They are very difficult going up and down curbs because of the small wheels in the back. If the person who will be using it is frail and has poor balance, I would really consider a light weight chair with large back wheels.

that is not the issue..........never mind you obviously would not understand the PITAs that work in the 3 stores in my area. NOWHERE did i say that i would not BUY one....the continual need for same basically manifested itself about 3 weeks ago..........................i give up.

i never said i won't pay to buy one........................................forget it......:rolleyes:

again, when did this board STOP being helpful????

If in fact your mother's medical condition recently changed sufficiently that she needs a wheelchair for full-time mobility, her doctor should be the one dealing with medical supply companies. He should be writing her a prescription, and sending her to an occupational therapist where she'll be "fitted" for a wheelchair -- get one the right size, with the right depth of seat, back, leg length, etc. Then the prescription gets sent to the medical supply store -- the one that corresponds with your mothers insurance company. Or if she doesn't have private health insurance, then one that accepts medicare reimbursement.

They read the prescription, get the chair, make sure it fits what the prescription calls for, then call your mother. She goes to the store, they sit her in the chair, make any final adjustments, and she's on her way.

Medicare will pay for a manual foldable collapsible chair, not a power chair, except under very special circumstances.

But if you're just wanting a chair for her convenience, so that she can better manage long distances (like through airports, getting to/from a cruise ship, etc.) and NOT needing one full-time, then

several of us have suggested -- and you have dismissed our suggestions -- that you can get one pretty inexpensively. If not through Craigslist, then through local want-ads in your neighborhood newspaper.

Seems to me we're trying to be helpful. But your attitude is getting in your way.

gee thanks for the attitude............:eek::rolleyes:

i do noy buy from craigslist.

I think there is an attitude, but it in not mine, not all people who buy and sell on craiglist's are killers. Go with another person, meet them someplace in public if you are paranoid, besides I was offering you easy, cheaper options.I also said I got mine on freecycle.org

There aren't always wheelchairs available outside to help everyone even if you have notified the cruiseline. My parents knew that my father would not be able to stand outside in the heat for very long so they made alternate arrangements.

Excellent info to have. Thanks!

Hello All,

Yes, this is a good reminder to everyone. Though my Grandmother has since passed away, she traveled with us on three cruises. The first one, my crazy Aunt (whom didn't want her using oxygen following heart surgery as she was afraid she would become addicted) was responsible for getting her to the cruise ship and refused to bring along a wheel chair.

I recall having challenges with waiting for a wheelchair. The next two times, I arranged for a wheel chair (even though my Grandmother had her own). I am not going to say the wheel chair isn't without it's challenges as well, but it's just as challenging as a stroller (finding a place to store it, opening and closing it, people who really need to use it, but want to walk on their own, etc.)

Now, we keep the wheel chair with us when we travel on non cruise vacations for my mother. We find it simply makes our vacations more enjoyable, and we don't have to worry about arranging for one when it is needed.

In truth, given how mobil my mother is, I probably wouldn't have taken a wheel chair with us on our next cruise together ... but the OP has reminded me of the challenges we had with my Grandmother on the cruise ship.

Thank you, and I wish you enjoyable and safe travels for the future!

I think there is an attitude, but it in not mine, not all people who buy and sell on craiglist's are killers. Go with another person, meet them someplace in public if you are paranoid, besides I was offering you easy, cheaper options.I also said I got mine on freecycle.org

I agree!

What's wrong with Craigslist. You can get amazing deals there.

Buy from someone local who needs to sell their merchandise.

Maybe they don't want a used one? Hate to break it to them, but the rental won't be new.

People who need wheelchairs should take them on when they board. RCCL does not have enough chairs to cater to everyone and they will tell you if you simply ask what you need to do when someone in the party needs a WC. Why do so many people feel like the cruisline should provide everything for them. My hubby is handicapped and we would never presume to travel without his chair or scooter. Why would we expect someone else to take care of us? Never ceases to amaze me.

Just a word to another judgmental person who doesn't read the thread before slamming, wheelchairs were requested in our case in advance because Royal Caribbean told us they provide them. No one presumed, assumed, or asked for it. In fact, the reason we did this cruise is because Royal Caribbean advertises how wonderfully accessible they are for persons with disabilities. It is so sad so many bitter people out there have to slam rather than allow us to just help others avoid the same problems.

It is absolutely true that RCCL offers the service the OP was looking for. It is obvious that they were underequipped for the service they pledge which is a shame.

I was born with cerebral palsy but didn't start using a chair regularly till I was 20... I am now in my 30s and I use a chair while out of the home on unfamiliar terrain be it land or sea. Beyond the muscular and bone issues, the CP affects balance so a chair is especially important while at sea thanks to the "motion from the ocean". On my first cruise we brought my own chair as I always travel with my manual. It is tough going on those ramps and I had to occasionally get up which not all are able to do so assistance can be very important. I eventually switched to bringing my powerchair which can handle the majority of the ramps much more easily and my manual as a backup and for ports which limits me to FL ports unless I am willing to rent a powerchair. If I did, that boarding assistance would be important as my husband is busy managing our preschooler son while we get to the cabin and the rented equipment.

Those who use assisitive devices have a hard enough life. It is sad that it took till the 1990s for a federal law to be created which gave us simple rights like just being able to get through the aisles of a grocery store without impediments or to have a hotel or cruise room that we could get into and bathe in. Oh, and getting an accessible cabin can be difficult when some of the able-bodied cruising population seek them for the extra space they provide. While the ADA was created to help, it also protects our medical privacy so cruiselines can't ask why you need an accessible cabin which makes it far too easy for the able bodied to claim them as well.

Archived