Beware of wheelchair issues on Rhapsody

We just returned from a cruise on Rhapsody. We had three people in our group that required pier assistance to get on and off the ship. We were told only 4 wheelchairs were available, which of course meant that some people were left waiting outside while others were taken in, dropped off, and then the wheelchair brought out for the next person. This was a real pain, but we were able to get on eventually, and once there, able to get past it.

However, coming off the ship was horrible. Two of the people in wheelchairs required to be together to go through customs, but unfortunately, these chairs just were not available as so many people needed wheelchairs to get off, and those chairs were used to get through customs, get bags, and wait in lines for shuttles, taxis (which was the worst line I have ever seen at any port) and other transport. This was a total nightmare, ending with Shawn of RCCL staff actually yelling at one of the members of our party in the wheelchair (an elderly man) because the man insisted he needed his wife with him to go through customs. Shawn yelled angrily and loudly, indicating the old man had to get out of the chair so they could get others off the ship, even though they had put him in the chair to take him out, and even though he had to catch a plane. A large number of people were initially waiting for chairs, most quite upset with the situation and very vocal. Some gave up and, even though they had trouble with it, walked as far as they could, stopping regularly because they could barely walk.

This was inexcusable, and others need to be aware of the problem before booking this cruise.:eek:

Just because pier assistance is available, does not mean they are prepared to deal with the large number of wheelchair pasengers, and it would be wise to question how many wheelchairs are available to assist before booking.:D

We just returned from a cruise on Rhapsody. We had three people in our group that required pier assistance to get on and off the ship. We were told only 4 wheelchairs were available, which of course meant that some people were left waiting outside while others were taken in, dropped off, and then the wheelchair brought out for the next person. This was a real pain, but we were able to get on eventually, and once there, able to get past it.

However, coming off the ship was horrible. Two of the people in wheelchairs required to be together to go through customs, but unfortunately, these chairs just were not available as so many people needed wheelchairs to get off, and those chairs were used to get through customs, get bags, and wait in lines for shuttles, taxis (which was the worst line I have ever seen at any port) and other transport. This was a total nightmare, ending with Shawn of RCCL staff actually yelling at one of the members of our party in the wheelchair (an elderly man) because the man insisted he needed his wife with him to go through customs. Shawn yelled angrily and loudly, indicating the old man had to get out of the chair so they could get others off the ship, even though they had put him in the chair to take him out, and even though he had to catch a plane. A large number of people were initially waiting for chairs, most quite upset with the situation and very vocal. Some gave up and, even though they had trouble with it, walked as far as they could, stopping regularly because they could barely walk.

This was inexcusable, and others need to be aware of the problem before booking this cruise.:eek:

Just because pier assistance is available, does not mean they are prepared to deal with the large number of wheelchair pasengers, and it would be wise to question how many wheelchairs are available to assist before booking.:D

While I under stand what you are saying but sometimes there is other factors in play. My wife is entitled to use a handicap parking placecard, but that does not mean there will always be a handicap spot available.

In answer to the first question, pier assist is available to help those that cannot walk long distances or stand in long lines - some ports have both problems. Those same people are able to get around the ship, i.e., their rooms are close to their needs as in dining, windows and elevators. They do not need chairs to take up space in the rooms, aisles, and other areas of the ship for every day use, just for pier assist.

In answer to the second question, that is correct, that there is not always handicap available for those who need it - generally because those who do not need it take up the space.

This, however, is a process requested well in advance of getting to the ship. The cruise line is aware how many people will be requiring pier assist, and should provide enough chairs to accommodate those persons, or at least a reasonable number of chairs. 4 chairs for the 50 or so people waiting for them was definitely not near enough - or it would have been if they were used to get them on and off quickly. My elderly father-in-law was left waiting outside in the heat with no place to sit down for 25 minutes which is what it took to get the previous person in to the registration room, seated, and then back to him. Some people remained in the wheel chair throughout the registration process until they boarded the ship. Because we had people waiting, we sent it back asap.

This is just meant as a warning to others requiring pier assist so they are aware of the situation, not to get slammed for requiring the use of a wheelchair.

I appreciate the info. I am use to HAL and having wheel chairs for boarding has never been a problem. Gettinf off we have not used them. does seem like a management problem as I would think they would have more than 4 chairs.

In answer to the second question, that is correct, that there is not always handicap available for those who need it - generally because those who do not need it take up the space.

I fully agree with you that the cruise line should have had more wheelchairs available (assuming the people waiting for them had made advance requests to the cruise line for this service).

However the comment I quoted above was uncalled for. The cruise line sets aside the handicapped staterooms specifically for handicapped passengers until close to the sailing date. At some point if they are not booked by those who need it, they do open it up to others as well as assign some people in guaranteed categories to these rooms. This is done to decrease the chances of the ship sailing at less than capacity. Unless somebody who needs a handicapped room waits to book a cruise on short notice, the only reason none would be available is if the rooms are all taken by people who declared a need for them.

why didn't most if not all have their own?

If they were renting a wheelchair just for the holiday, the wheelchair would have been delivered to their cabin, so it wouldn't have been available for embarkation. Thus they may have needed w/c assistance for embarkation or disembarkation.

I was going to do this but now I have my own wheelchair which I'm just going to bring with me on holiday. So luckily I shouldn't have that problem!

If they were renting a wheelchair just for the holiday, the wheelchair would have been delivered to their cabin, so it wouldn't have been available for embarkation. Thus they may have needed w/c assistance for embarkation or disembarkation.

I was going to do this but now I have my own wheelchair which I'm just going to bring with me on holiday. So luckily I shouldn't have that problem!

Someone can always rent one locally before they leave so they have it for their entire trip to the ship. This is what my mother did for my dad before they ended up buying a wheelchair.

There aren't always wheelchairs available outside to help everyone even if you have notified the cruiseline. My parents knew that my father would not be able to stand outside in the heat for very long so they made alternate arrangements.

Someone can always rent one locally before they leave so they have it for their entire trip to the ship. This is what my mother did for my dad before they ended up buying a wheelchair.

There aren't always wheelchairs available outside to help everyone even if you have notified the cruiseline. My parents knew that my father would not be able to stand outside in the heat for very long so they made alternate arrangements.

Good idea. I think a lot of people think you either need a wheelchair all the time or you don't need one at all, but as you know there are people who only need one sometimes.

I didn't know you could rent one locally; I guess coming from the UK it would have been easier for me to either bring one or have a rented one delivered to the cabin.

At least if I bring my own that'll free one up for other people that need it at the pier :)

I appreciate the info. I am use to HAL and having wheel chairs for boarding has never been a problem. Gettinf off we have not used them. does seem like a management problem as I would think they would have more than 4 chairs.

Just curious...if you need the wheelchairs for boarding, why don't you need them when you get off the ship?

To get priority boarding?

That's what I was thinking.

I find the attitudes implicit in these responses disturbing. Marlee is one of those people who does need a wheelchair for long distances and inclines. She can take shorter distances on flat terrain on foot. The priority boarding is nice, but we would trade it in a hot minute for better health.

I think that priority boarding is cruise line policy due to practicality, not sympathy. Holding wheelchairs on inclined gangways is not easy. If those in wheelchairs boarded with everyone else, the wheelchairs would become obstacles -- possibly dangerous ones if the pusher lost control and the chair started rolling downward. Besides that, if the companies are going to assign employees to assist those in wheelchairs, having them wait in line is inefficient.

Returning to my main point though, no one wants to be in a situation where a wheelchair is required and just about anyone who needs one would gladly trade any perceived privileges for the opportunity to walk normally.

Rich

Wiser still to bring your own wheelchair......

We bought a transport chair when DH had foot surgery (little wheels instead of big ones). Cost was $100 online, free shipping, no tax.

We're taking it as a piece of luggage when we go on our family cruise in December. When Grandma gets to FLL airport, we'll have the transport chair with us to pick her up, and we'll take it on our cruise.

I agree that people should be responsible for themselves and not assume their special needs will be accommodated at all times. With our transport chair with us, we don't have to worry about whether there will be one available for Grandma. Worth every penny of the $100.

I find the attitudes implicit in these responses disturbing. Marlee is one of those people who does need a wheelchair for long distances and inclines. She can take shorter distances on flat terrain on foot. The priority boarding is nice, but we would trade it in a hot minute for better health.

I think that priority boarding is cruise line policy due to practicality, not sympathy. Holding wheelchairs on inclined gangways is not easy. If those in wheelchairs boarded with everyone else, the wheelchairs would become obstacles -- possibly dangerous ones if the pusher lost control and the chair started rolling downward. Besides that, if the companies are going to assign employees to assist those in wheelchairs, having them wait in line is inefficient.

Returning to my main point though, no one wants to be in a situation where a wheelchair is required and just about anyone who needs one would gladly trade any perceived privileges for the opportunity to walk normally.

Rich

I was questioning the one poster (post #5) who said they need a wheelchair for boarding, but not for disembarking. If you need it for one, I'd think you need it for the other. I no way meant to imply that those in wheelchairs shouldn't receive priority boarding.

My wife is disabled and before we went on our honeymoon cruise back in 2001 we invested about $400.00 of our wedding gift money and bought a travel wheelchair. I highly recommend it. In fact on our cruise out of Baltimore next year, we have a HC room and we're covering all basis. Taking both the scooter and the wheelchair.

I don't know how Seattle is set up, but I remember seeing people who needed assistance in Fort Lauderdale having wheelchairs that said Port Everglades or something like that on the back. The assistants would take the person to the cabin (or at least onboard) then take the wheelchair back to the port area. I was under the impression that boarding assistance was supplied by the port personnel and not by RC directly - kind of like at the airport where the individual airlines don't provide wheelchairs.

6 years ago, I needed a wheelchair. I got my own. Took care of myself. Did not sit back and wait for others to care for me. Sorry. This mentality of someone else needs to help me makes me nuts. I walk with a limp today, always will, but do not expect anyone to make way for me, for give me any slack.

I am responsible for me, period!

Maybe we need a bailout program for wheelchairs too!

OK, people are getting slammed for expecting to use a service that the cruise line promises? Really?

We travel with my two elderly parents. My father has heart failure. His ability to stand or walk without resting varies from day to day or even hour to hour. On our cruise my parents used the pier assist wheelchairs and rented wheelchairs on the ship. There was no problem, probably because we waited until the very last possible time to disembark.

However, I truly feel for the OP. When my dad needs to sit, he needs to sit. Period. And if the company has promised a service, and we are expecting to be able to take advantage of that service, and suddenly it's not there, it's more than upsetting. If you've never been in the situation of having someone who NEEDS A WHEELCHAIR and there IS NO WHEELCHAIR then you are fortunate. It's no fun, and it's not the fault of the passenger, if this service has been offered. The feeling of helplessness as you watch your parent or loved one suffer for lack of a place to sit down is horrible.

If Pier Assist is a service that needs to be staggered because of a shortage of wheelchairs or personnel, then they need to make the passengers aware of that.

This isn't quibbling over whether they put towel animals in the cabins every night, or something similar. It's health and safety. Come on folks.

If I saw that there was a long wait to use the wheelchair service, then I would probably just relax in one of the lounges, until most of the passengers were off. I don't think I would make a big deal about it.

If you've never been in the situation of having someone who NEEDS A WHEELCHAIR and there IS NO WHEELCHAIR then you are fortunate. It's no fun, and it's not the fault of the passenger, if this service has been offered. The feeling of helplessness as you watch your parent or loved one suffer for lack of a place to sit down is horrible.

I have been in this situation, and that's why we bought our own transport chair. It's a small amount of money for peace of mind. I know that my MIL will sit in comfort no matter where we are on this pre-cruise, cruise, and post-cruise. I would not depend on a service that an unknown number of people are also depending on.

I'm not slamming anyone, but just suggesting that bringing your own gives you the security and peace of mind that your loved ones are accommodated for sure.

When my wife and I took our first cruise with her in a wheelchair, we were already diamond members so priority was not an issue. The chair made it very easy to board the airplane as well as the ship. Maybe we were just lucky, but someone greeted us immediately and processed us. They would not let me push the chair. They insisted on bringing my wife in her chair on board the ship. Whenever we got off the ship, two crewmembers would carry the chair up or down the gangplank. We chose not to get off the ship in tender situations. I have nothing but praise for the RCCL crew that we incountered.

As others indicated, the best possible solution would be to rent a chair for your cruise. With the ships getting ever larger and larger, having a wheelchair would make your family member's cruise experience that much better. Tell them that they do not have nothing to worry about. There are many people who take cruises with wheelchairs. They will not feel out of place. Good Sailing, Murf

Archived