Do you tip shore excursions guides

We have booked all our shore excursions through RCCL. I know we could have done it much cheaper but being our first cruise, peace of mind is worth it for me.

Do we tip our guides? How much?

Cozumel - Sea Turtle Snorkel

Grand Caymen - Reef and Wreck Snorkel

Jamica - Chukka ATV Safari

Thank you for your help?

Booking thru the cruise line I most likely would not... "IF" they did something truely helpful...over & above just running a tour...then yes... if I booked on my own..then most likely I would...

No they make enough by getting backhanders when they take you to certain cafes and toutist shops

I have a feeling this isn't limited to just the cruise line tours... I'm sure the local guides help out their friends & family by making sure the tour stops at their business..

We usually tip our tour guides and the bus driver - yes we are from the UK and we tip :rolleyes:.

We just tip a few Euros depending on how good they are.

We always tip the tour guides and bus drivers if they are good!

I booked most of my excursions through the ship. And yes, I usually tipped them. Just a couple bucks, $5 or so - it's to let them know they did a great job and I know they appreciate it!

Depends if the "tour" gave us more than expected, or if it was what we paid for! We've had some excursions that simply take you there, and bring you back....not "tippable" IMO! We've had some excursions that really went out of their way to give us a great time...and we did tip those guides!

Base your decision on your experience. You don't HAVE to tip...you won't be considered rude or cheap....and if they think that, that's THEIR problem---you won't see them ever again! Tip if it's worth it.

We always book through the cruiseline, and we always tip. It doesn't have to be a lot. Just something to show you appreciate their time. If they are VERY good, we tip more. The norm for us is about $10 for both DH and I. However, on one excursion where the travel guide was VERY good, DH tipped $20. She nearly fell off her feet, but thanked us over and over.

I do not see the need to tip for ship arranged tours unless you have special needs or the driver/guide goes over and beyond in helping you in some other way. For private tours, we tip $20 to the guide and $10 to the driver for the whole family. Both the guide and the driver have always seemed happy getting that tip.

I hear if you pre-pay your tips, it includes excursion tips. :D

Sorry, I could not resist.

I usually tip a few dollars. Hey, I'm on vacation. I'm in a good mood, and besides, I want to be let off the bus at the end, so yeah, I tip, and the door seems to magically open, allowing me to get off the tour. ;)

I have tipped on the majority of my excursions (regardless if they were one's I booked through the cruise line or on my own). Most frequently we have tipped $2 to $10 as a couple to the guides (based on level of service) and $2 to the bus driver. I have not tipped if I felt the person did a below average job or (as another posted mentioned) if they solicited the tips.

I've yet to be on a tour (and I've only taken ship-sponsored excursions) where we weren't "reminded" at the end that "tips are appreciated." :rolleyes:

I don't mind so much if there is one gentle mention of this (some people truly may not think to tip unless it is somehow brought to their attention); it is the few times where the person has repeatedly referred to tips or was somewhat aggressive with an annoucement about tips that turned me off to the point that I did not tip.

We tip bus drivers about $2 pp if there was no "tour" given. Those that point out all of the local tidbits get more. We've never tipped a bus driver more than $20 for a family of 5.

The other excursions...it depends. There is always something, it just depends on how great...or not great the excursion was. A really great excursion will get about $5 a head from us.