Rome by Night

tjljsc

Has anyone done one of these tours? Is it worth getting a guide or is it something we can do on our own?

Also, if a tour is the way to go, anyone know of a tour company that starts this a bit later in the evening? We won't be settled until around 7-7:30pm on a Saturday night in October, so I'm hoping to find a tour that starts after 8pm. Is this possible w/o going to a pricey private tour (which is simply not in the budget)?

Thanks!

Rick Steves Rome guidebook has a DYI "Night Walk Across Rome" walking tour that starts at Campo de fiori and ends at the Spanish Steps, with stops at Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.

There is a map of the tour in his book, but navigating might be confusing if doing it after dark, since there are so many short streets that go in every direction. On google maps, you can set up your walking route and print it out, starting and ending at your hotel.

Rick Steves Rome guidebook might be available at your local library.

p.s. re group walking tours...I think most start earlier (~ 6 p.m.), so more of an 'evening walking tour'.

Rick Steves Rome guidebook has a "Night Walk Across Rome" walking tour that starts at Campo de fiori and ends at the Spanish Steps, with stops at Piazza Navona, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.

There is a map of the tour in his book, but navigating might be confusing if doing it after dark, since there are so many short streets that go in every direction. On google maps, you can set up your walking route and print it out, starting and ending at your hotel.

Rick Steves Rome guidebook might be available at your local library.

I second the recommendation for Rick Steves. His tour is quite similar to at least one other $$ walking tour that I have seen.

If at all possible, try to get to the Pantheon prior to closing (normally 7:00 to 7:30 but I've found it open later than that on several occasions) so you can see the wonderful interior.

As usual, I agree with Cynthia and Susan. The Rick Steves' Night Walk Across Rome will fill the bill perfectly, and you will travel at your own pass and much more romantically.

Our hotel last month was right by the Campo di' Fiori, and on our last of our fabulous five nights in Rome, we realized that we had not yet visited the Trevi Fountain, having usually spent our evenings in the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.

So, after a stop for our last gelato at Giolitti's, off we went. You will not get lost from the Pantheon east to Trevi, because the route is marked with paving stones (and many fellow wanderers). It was lovely, it was Midsummer Night's Eve (and many people were just sitting down to dinner at 11 PM), and it was magical.

Enjoy your trip!

Pam

We are followers of Rick Steves......however, his maps and directions for that walk are not that easy to follow. (My biggest complaint about Rick is his maps that are "not drawn to scale" and leave out a lot). We have followed that tour twice, once while on a land vacation for several days and recently while in Rome for the day from a cruise ship. Fortunately, we are comfortable enough with ourselves and Rome that we did OK. Take a real map with you in case you get off track. This is certainly not meant to put down Rick but I wish he would use real maps.

We are followers of Rick Steves......however, his maps and directions for that walk are not that easy to follow. (My biggest complaint about Rick is his maps that are "not drawn to scale" and leave out a lot). We have followed that tour twice, once while on a land vacation for several days and recently while in Rome for the day from a cruise ship. Fortunately, we are comfortable enough with ourselves and Rome that we did OK. Take a real map with you in case you get off track. This is certainly not meant to put down Rick but I wish he would use real maps.

I do have to agree with you about the maps. I'm familiar with Rome, so it's not a big problem there. But I got seriously off track a few times when following his Paris walks!

For the OP: On the subject of maps, just stop and get one at the TI booth at the airport or in Termini. Failing that, you can get one in most hotels that is better than anything you'll buy in advance. Trust me, I've bought most Rome maps available over the years....;)

Thanks for the map advice. I think we'll just plan to do it on our own and I'm going to pick up the Rick Steve's book (as well as any others we can find) and determine our route.

Thanks!

On 6/3/09 we took a Through Eternity nighttime walk with 4 other folks and our guide. It was 22E pp booked in advance. It was WONDERFUL. We got so much more out of it than if we had taken the Rick Steves walk. And a stop for gelato was on the itin.

What's more, is that our guide took such incredible care of all of us.

We made the mistake of doing this almost directly after travelling 30 hours to Rome, complete with extreme weather delays, and OJ Simpson airport sprints. We were, quite simply COOKED at the end of the walking tour. Our wonderful guide found a taxi stand, put us in a cab, gave the driver directions and sent us on our way. She was our guardian angel, and a wonderful guide to boot!

On 6/3/09 we took a Through Eternity nighttime walk with 4 other folks and our guide. It was 22E pp booked in advance. It was WONDERFUL. We got so much more out of it than if we had taken the Rick Steves walk. And a stop for gelato was on the itin.

What's more, is that our guide took such incredible care of all of us.

We made the mistake of doing this almost directly after travelling 30 hours to Rome, complete with extreme weather delays, and OJ Simpson airport sprints. We were, quite simply COOKED at the end of the walking tour. Our wonderful guide found a taxi stand, put us in a cab, gave the driver directions and sent us on our way. She was our guardian angel, and a wonderful guide to boot!

We're doing this tour in September the day that we arrive too. But we are giving ourselves about 6 hours between arrival at our hotel and the tour so we can catch a nap and recuperate.

I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it!

We took the Rome Illumination tour by bus and it was wonderful also. Rome is so pretty at night.We got off the bus several times and the guide would take us to places like the Spanish Steps, trevi fountain ect. At the end of the tour we were taken to a restaurant called Papa Rex's and had a nice dinner with aria's sang to us by the owner and his wife. it was real nice. Then the bus took everybody back to their hotels. We always stay in convents. They are cheap, immaculate and close to where we want to be. julie

Archived