Menu for Canaletto's

alohadad

I' am trying to find a copy of a current menu for Canaletto's on the Lido for dinner. Also would any one know if it's the same menu served on all ships and do you need to make reservations. Thanks for the help..

It is the same menu on all the ships.

It is recommended that you make resrvations -- especially if you want to go at a certain time.

Canaletto Menu

ANTIPASTI e ZUPE:

Our chef’s selection of antipasti, cucumber and olives

Insalata Canaletto – Seasonal greens and tomato, cucumber and olives

Minestrone – A flavorful tomato broth consisting of white beans, pasta shells, fresh vegetables and thyme

Zuppe Di Pesce – Assorted seafood simmered with vegetables, tomatoes, flat parsley and saffron

PASTA, CARNE, PESCE e POLLO

Penne Alla Vodka – A deliciously light combination of our Pomodoro sauce, cream and vodka

Linguini Frutti Di Mare – Linguini pasta and clams, mussels, shrimps and scallops tossed in garlic, onions and cherry tomatoes

Baked Meat Lasagna Pomodoro – Baked with meat and tomato sauce and gratinated with four cheese sauce.

Veal Milanese – Breaded veal scaloppini with porcini mushrooms, spaghetti and vegetables

Chicken Marsala Scaloppini – Tender Scallops of chicken breast glazed with Marsala wine. Served with linguini pasta tossed with tomato and roasted garlic

Cod Putanesca – Marinated in lemon, oregano and olive oil, quickly sautéed and coated with a flavorful herbed tomato concassee with kalamata olives, capers and chopped parsley, served with grilled cheese polenta and balsamic glace

Spaghetti with Meatballs – The classic way to eat spaghetti; home made meatballs braised in a tomato and meat sauce served over olive oil tossed spaghetti

DOLCI

Trio of Tiramisu – Italy’s most famous dessert: presented in three flavored variations, espresso, lemon and Amaretto

Limoncello Crème – Refreshing crème topped with Tuscan lemon liqueur

Mille-Feuille of Madagascar Chocolate – With walnut praline and ice-cream

Gelato – A refreshing and full-flavored selection: strawberry, mango, vanilla and lemon

If you haven’t checked out HAL’s new website you’ll find a lot more information than before. They have sample menus now. Here is the link to the one for Canaletto:

http://www.hollandamerica.com//assets//cruise-vacation-onboard/Canaletto_menu_6.19.pdf

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Pending Cruises:

HAL – Westerdam, September 6, 2009

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

Recently back from the Med on Oosterdam - yum, yum to Tiramisu and Lemoncello! Don't order the Veal - it is too thin like leather, but all else

is interesting, especially the Antipasto that is served from a large platter.:) 24 days of eating on that cruise - loved it all!

Recently back from the Med on Oosterdam - yum, yum to Tiramisu and Lemoncello! Don't order the Veal - it is too thin like leather, but all else

is interesting, especially the Antipasto that is served from a large platter.:) 24 days of eating on that cruise - loved it all!

Thanks for the warning about the veal.

• 2 weeks later...
What ships on HAL now offer the Canaletto?????

Dan

Debuting on Holland America Line's first Signature-class ship, ms Eurodam, this popular restaurant is now available on the Oosterdam, Veendam, Amsterdam and Noordam, and will soon be available on the following ships:

• ms Rotterdam – Dec. 2009
  • ms Ryndam – Feb. 2010
  • ms Statendam – Apr. 2010

I believe it will eventually be on all HAL ships.

Edited by jtl513

There was a Canaletto on the May 15 sailing of the Amsterdam. I believe it was either the first or second week. The service was excellent but I was not impressed with the food. Will try again in September to see if it was just me (probably was!).

Debuting on Holland America Line's first Signature-class ship, ms Eurodam, this popular restaurant is now available on the Oosterdam, Veendam, Amsterdam and Noordam, and will soon be available on the following ships:

• ms Rotterdam – Dec. 2009
  • ms Ryndam – Feb. 2010
  • ms Statendam – Apr. 2010

I believe it will eventually be on all HAL ships.

Is it not on the Westerdam yet???

Dan

Is it not on the Westerdam yet???

Dan

I just quoted what it says on the HAL site. The Westerdam deck plan doesn't show one.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=we&deck=l&year=next

The next W dry-dock is early April, and I wouldn't be surprised if they put one in then despite what the HAL site schedule said.

Edited by jtl513

Is Canaletto a separate room like the Pinnacle or is it just a dressed up part of the Lido in the evening?
It's just a section of the Lido with slightly different decor. It is only open for dinner, so at lunch anyone can use those tables just as any other.

We ate there twice, but I had been hoping for the varied menu. There is a variety, but not like a regular restaurant. Actually, I liked the open dining, which has a different menu every night. The Canaletto was good, though, and they serve an antipasto plate beforehand as well, mentioned but not listed on the menu.

But for pasta, I loved the pasta at the Lido. It's the only thing available after hours (btwn 9:30-1:00 am, other than the late night 12-1 thing, and the desserts). They have a great meat sauce, pesto, & alfredo sauces, and 2 kinds of pasta - penne and fettuccine.

We ate one evening at the Italian restaurant on the Veendam. The four of us thought it was not much to write home about. About 9 pm, suddenly the overhead lights were turned on bright, as if to say, "Good night All!". We were not the last to be served.

I was more impressed with the Italian dining room on the former NCL Wind. We ate there 2 or 3 times during a Hawaii cruise, and thought the food menu was excellent.

• 4 weeks later...
I just quoted what it says on the HAL site. The Westerdam deck plan doesn't show one.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=we&deck=l&year=next

The next W dry-dock is early April, and I wouldn't be surprised if they put one in then despite what the HAL site schedule said.

The Westerdam deck plan in my 2010 Europe brochure shows Caneletto. I think it will be added during the drydock.

Rick

• 5 years later...
I am searching for a current menu and reviews for the m/s Amsterdam's Canaletto restaurant. Can anyone help?

It's found at http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Canaletto-menu.pdf. If the link doesn't work for some reason, just Google canaletto menu holland america. It's the first result shown.

It's found at http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/Canaletto-menu.pdf. If the link doesn't work for some reason, just Google canaletto menu holland america. It's the first result shown.

Unfortunately that is not the newest menu. I had sea bass on the Veendam and I don't see it on that menu. That said, this is likely close.

Edited by cruz chic

Googled and this came up:

http://www.beyondships2.com/uploads/8/2/4/5/8245255/canaletto.pdf

It is the same as the menu we had on the Amsterdam last month. Because of the "family style" way of serving now, they suggested we order 2 starters and one main to share as we are only 2 people. This way of ordering doesn't work well with only 2 people as you kind have to agree what you want. Anyway, long story short, don't listen to your server. We are not big eaters, and I am a small woman but I ended up ordering a 2nd main as only one wasn't enough.

Edited by sunviking90

NO, NO, NO...the Canaletto menu is NOT the same on all ships. The smaller ships do not have as extensive a menu as the larger ships.

We had gone to the Canaletto planning to have the fantastic shrimp dish we had had on the Westerdam and were very disappointed find a mediocre menu...far fewer choices. When we talked with the manager he said the smaller ships do have a more limited menu than the larger ships. Too bad...the smaller ships do not have much we liked...but the larger ships do. So don't make your decision based on what you had on one ship or "heard" about from others. It IS ship-dependent.

I think some time ago I saw a thread that said the "shared plates" concept in the Canaletto had ceased and that HAL went back to individual plates. Can someone please verify this for me. I try to do the Canaletto once on a cruise but missed it this pass January. I have booked it for my September cruise.