Would you pay $95 for a behind-the-scenes tour of a cruise ship? Carnival thinks so

Kcarp

Dubbed the Behind the Fun tour, the $95-per-person outing lasts three-and-a-half hours and includes a visit with key shipboard officers such as the captain, chief engineer and chef de cuisine.

Carnival says the tour includes stops backstage in the main show lounge, the ship's laundry room, crew galley and dining room, crew gym, crew training center, the main passenger galley, the ship’s bridge and engine control room.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=68495190.blog

They already do this on the Princess ships (owned by Carnival Corp.) and they charge a heck of alot more than that on those ships. Believe it or not, there's a wait list for it and people who go rave about it.

I would personally rather save that money.

Not my cup of tea, but then neither would I pay extra to eat in a speciality reataurant on the ship. So I'm sure a lot of people will. Probably would be interested, but not $95 worth. I took a galley tour one time on Disney and it was interesting, but I think I would have rather stayed out at the pool.

No way, but I wouldn't pay $5 either. The only thing interesting is the bridge, IMO, and I've done that on several cruises in the past when it was still allowed.

Personally, no way would I spend $95pp for a tour of the ship. There are a lot of things that $95 would bring more satisfaction than touring the ship. But I must say, I really do like the idea that they are doing this. If for no reason other than this tour will help insure the cleanliness on board. Not to say that the ships are dirty, but if Carnival is willing to take passengers into the darkest recesses of the ship you know it's going to be spotless.

ya know, i'd like to. i'm interested by it, no doubt... i just don't think i would pay that much for a tour of the ship...

$95 can equate to about 20% of many typical 7 day cruises. that's too much - and up to almost 20 drinks. i'll take the drinks :D

really though - in my opinion, they put such a high price tag on the tour in order to CONTROL the amount of people that do choose to book it.

they're only offering it 2x per week - and you'd have to imagine the groups couldn't be that large, since they're touring all these places...

if it were 25.00... or even 50.00, demand would exceed capacity, i think.

in the meanwhile, i'll wait for pictures here on cc from someone that goes :cool:

nevertheless, to put it into perspective - i'd pay the 95.00 for this tour, before i would EVER spend a similar amount in the spa, on carnival souvenirs, etc. :)

Personally, no way would I spend $95pp for a tour of the ship. There are a lot of things that $95 would bring more satisfaction than touring the ship. But I must say, I really do like the idea that they are doing this. If for no reason other than this tour will help insure the cleanliness on board. Not to say that the ships are dirty, but if Carnival is willing to take passengers into the darkest recesses of the ship you know it's going to be spotless.

Well the galley would be clean, the brdge would too, the laundry room also... I don't see where any areas toured would not be any less clean regardless of a tour or not.

I'd do it...

But, it would be nice ending and bonus at the end of the tour of the kitchens, bring everyone out to a private room and offer a sample of some tasty dishes from the Chef and some wine tasting and champaign.

They could even have 'test kitchen' dishes for things that might be future menu items and let everyone rate them.

That would be a good way for Carnival to get some feedback of items that might be menus.

That sounds pretty high. In Cozumel, we paid a lot less to take a ferry to the mainland, take a but to the ecopark, swam in an underground river, snorkled with the dolphins, and had lunch for less.

They want me to pay $95 to see a generator and a washing machine?

Archived