Would you pay $95 for a behind-the-scenes tour of a cruise ship? Carnival thinks so

Kcarp

I would guess that part of the reason for the relatively high price is to hold down the demand. They want to generate some interest in those seldom-seen parts of the ship but I doubt they want hordes of people signing up either. $95 would buy a lot of DOD's but I would do it anyway. :)
Very true...If they would offer it during those pesky rain sea days they might get some interest in it.

Having done pretty much the same tour (for free) on an RCL ship

I kinda know what to expect, and would like to do it again -on a CCL ship

if only for comparison

- but I also agree with others than $95 is steep.

$50 is more like it. ;)

'Preview of Coming Attractions' at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=969285

If you never took a tour before, would you still consider it to high?

I would do it once. Don't drink or gamble much so have to throw my money away on something! :)

I'm planning on spending extra for a "behind the scenes" tour on the Battleship Missouri in Hawaii too since I like those things you don't normally get to see.

How do you sign up? :confused:

[quote name='Kcarp']I don't know, but I do know it's not fleet wide.[/quote]
There was another thread about a week ago on this - it suggested that it was only in trial or "pilot" mode on one or two ships to see how it was received. I suppose if it was received well, it will go to most (all?) of the fleet.

[quote name='joepeka']There was another thread about a week ago on this - it suggested that it was only in trial or "pilot" mode on one or two ships to see how it was received. I suppose if it was received well, it will go to most (all?) of the fleet.[/quote]

Apparently it has been selling out. According to the article it is going to be available in Sept on all ships sailing 7 days or longer with "a version...in the works" for shorter sailings. If anyone went on the tour on the trial ships let us know how you signed up for it.

[quote name='gargoyle999']Apparently it has been selling out. According to the article it is going to be available in Sept on all ships sailing 7 days or longer with "a version...in the works" for shorter sailings. If anyone went on the tour on the trial ships let us know how you signed up for it.[/quote]
Please do let us know... I want to be looking for the sign up sheet!

Quite frankly I think Carnival is being hypocrytical on these newly offered tours (when the engine room and bridge are concerned). For the past several years whenever anyone would ask about this on JH's blog he would hide behind the "Security issue" card, saying it was impossible because of today's world and terrorism etc. Now, however, Carnival sees a way to make money from this (and quite a steep price), so there is no longer any security issue. You gotta be kidding me!!!!! As a passenger I want Carnival to make sure that some nut bag can't create a problem on the bridge or in the engineroom on a tour, but now magically it is all safe. Next thing up, you'll be able to drive the ship for just an additional $100. Give me a break!

[quote name='CwuzCwazy']Quite frankly I think Carnival is being hypocrytical on these newly offered tours (when the engine room and bridge are concerned). For the past several years whenever anyone would ask about this on JH's blog he would hide behind the "Security issue" card, saying it was impossible because of today's world and terrorism etc. Now, however, Carnival sees a way to make money from this (and quite a steep price), so there is no longer any security issue. You gotta be kidding me!!!!! As a passenger I want Carnival to make sure that some nut bag can't create a problem on the bridge or in the engineroom on a tour, but now magically it is all safe. Next thing up, you'll be able to drive the ship for just an additional $100. Give me a break![/quote]
Your point is well taken but I am pretty sure, on the other thread with posts by people that have done the tour, that there was a fair amount of ship security people accompanying the passengers. I guess it all remains to be seen. :)

[quote name='Cindy'][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=royalblue]Absolutely! I'm fascinated with cruise ships, and I'd love to do a tour like that.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=4][COLOR=#4169e1][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Me too. I'm a nerd like that though. :)

[quote name='falkcor']actually, they[B] [I]do[/I] take [I]some[/I] deliveries.[/B]

i've seen liquor being loaded on at foreign ports before... even on tenders :D[/quote][COLOR=Black]When Victory stopped at St.Thomas
there were three or four 40 ft. containers waiting at the dock
before we had our mooring lines tensioned.[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/514/medium/Supplies-112.jpg[/IMG]
[COLOR=Black][I]-and this pic doesn't show all of them![/I][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kcarp']If you never took a tour before,
[B]would you still consider it too high?[/B][/quote][COLOR=Black][B]Yes[/B], mainly because I'm just plain cheap?[/COLOR] :D

[COLOR=Black]Come on...[I]tours ashore don't cost that![/I][/COLOR] :cool:
[COLOR=White].[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='gwinel']I went on the galley tour on the Conquest last week. If that is any indication of the other tours...forget it.[/quote]

What was involved in the Galley tour? My daughter was just asking about this today. She is thinking of culinary school, that is why she is interested. Did they charge for the galley tour? I was thinking about asking during dinner if there was no mention of it.

[quote name='sammee']What was involved in the Galley tour? My daughter was just asking about this today. She is thinking of culinary school, that is why she is interested. Did they charge for the galley tour? I was thinking about asking during dinner if there was no mention of it.[/quote]
The tour is free, and it really is just a small presentation and a walk through of the galley. Not much to it!

[quote name='PaulMedik']falkcor,

If they offer it on Dream, we'll do it. They will have to wave the age requirement for Britt because he'll still be eight then and I doubt we'd be able to do the tour without him. ;)

cathyoo,

Thank you.

I'll make sure I get video along the way too. :)[/QUOTE]

First off, YES, hubby and I would do it one time... Have always wanted to see "behind the scene" and this would be our opportunity to do it... While I am not a drinker, I do like to gamble, but it doesn't like me, so to pay $95 for 3 1/2 hours would save me lots of $$$$$s!!!

BUT, according to John, there will be no video, no cameras, cell phones aren't even allowed on the tour.... so NOOOOOOOOOO pictures of any kind will be allowed.... :(

[quote name='sam1148']Do I get a hat? Because if so, I'm game. I'd like a hat.[/quote]

I have my baby blue hard hat from the "mechanical" tour of Hoover Dam. They cancelled those after 9/11.

Mom, Sis and I would do it. Don't know about DH.

I remember when Princess used to have a galley tour and a bridge tour and it was free, you just went on it....

No I would not pay that much for a tour...$25 yes, $50 maybe...but that would be my limit

it is ok, but not all that interesting..

some of the travel channel cruise shows give a good view of all that anyhow

Archived