Would you pay $95 for a behind-the-scenes tour of a cruise ship? Carnival thinks so

Kcarp

I maintain two high rise buildings as big as the cruise ships, but we have electric companies that supply the electric, not to mention water, sewage, and trash renewal. Id be fascinated by the backstage scenes of a ship. So my answer is yes, yes, yes! Where do i sign up?

p.s. There is also three restauarants that get multiple deliveries a day and i dont see any deliveries coming to cruise ships, which is something to think about. 15 days till im cruising!

My baseline is only Princess (being my one and only cruise to date - Carnival is about to change that stat though!) so I'm thinking that $95 sounds like a deal. Princess is charging $150 and I would have jumped at the chance to do it there, if it had been available at the time of my sailing.

Darn tooting I'm booking it on Carnival if available on the Destiny!

As for the cost, I believe Falkcor hit the nail on the head - I think it is priced the way it is to make sure that people are committed to going.

Miriam

Oops, I didn't realize there was an attachment to the OP's thread and just about everything I mentioned above was in it. I'd still take it though!

I maintain two high rise buildings as big as the cruise ships, but we have electric companies that supply the electric, not to mention water, sewage, and trash renewal. Id be fascinated by the backstage scenes of a ship. So my answer is yes, yes, yes! Where do i sign up?

You only get to go to the control room. Their insurance and safety regs will not allow you entry into the actual engine room or other mechanical facilities below decks.

p.s. There is also three restauarants that get multiple deliveries a day and i dont see any deliveries coming to cruise ships, which is something to think about. 15 days till im cruising!

actually, they do take some deliveries.

i've seen liquor being loaded on at foreign ports before... even on tenders :D

i don't know to exactly what extent - and your point on the whole is a valid one - i'm sure they have most of what they need when they set sail... but they definitely take on some new stock during the course of the cruise...

Anybody else out there have their TIVO set up to automatically record any show that mentions the word "Cruise"? We do. I think Carnival and other cruise lines have realized there is a market for behind the scenes views of cruising. The first show I paid attention to was on the travel channel and it was about the Disney Cruiseline back in 2003 and we bought a weeklong cruise. I don't think we're the only ones to do it and that show keeps playing on the Travel Channel.

I believe there are people out there that might trade off a shore excursion for a behind the scenes tour and I think my family would be one of them. Count us in.

Carnival is basing its price point on research done via an online survey back in March. It included a variety of 'onboard shore excursions', some of which I selected as being of great interest, and others I said would never be considered at all.

I'd definitely pay the $95 for certain onboard experiences . . . but even as a repeat cruiser, I'd only do them once ever. And if it's a rainy day at sea, the interest would certainly be even greater.

This is the Welcome text from the earlier online survey:

Carnival Shore Ex Survey

In order to be entered into the drawing for a chance to win the $500 American Express gift certificate, please submit this survey by 10pm on Monday, March 16.

Carnival knows there are many cruise lines from which to choose. That's why we're delighted each time you sail with us. We realize that as a valued past guest, you're aware that Carnival Cruise Lines offers more than just a vacation. Our attention to detail and pampering service for our guests make a Carnival cruise a "Fun Ship" cruise.

This is why we've chosen you to help us improve the vacation planning experience. Since you are the expert on what it's like to be a guest of Carnival Cruise Lines, we want to know how you feel about our onboard shore excursion service. This short survey takes less than ten minutes to complete. After submitting the survey, should you elect to enter your email address, you will be entered in a drawing for a chance to win a $500 American Express gift certificate, which can be used at thousands of locations. Thank you very much. We appreciate your time and assistance.

I don't see where the Carnival tour includes the gifts that the Princess tour does include so that would make up the difference in cost between $150 on Princess and $95 on Carnival so it would appear that the Carnival line does not feel their passenger base would be willing to pay the higher price if they added on gifts. Without the gifts it distinquishes the difference between the two tours.

No problem here to see the cruiselines add this option as a paying tour if someone wishes to take them up on the opportunity. We might do it someday on one of the lines in the future. Most likely if we are visiting several ports on our cruise that we have already visited several times and wouldn't be purchasing excursions in those ports. Sort of like a cruiseship excursion in place of a port excursion.:)

No problem here to see the cruiselines add this option as a paying tour if someone wishes to take them up on the opportunity. We might do it someday on one of the lines in the future. Most likely if we are visiting several ports on our cruise that we have already visited several times and wouldn't be purchasing excursions in those ports. Sort of like a cruiseship excursion in place of a port excursion.:)

i just want to say that i particularly agree with this sentiment.

i guess that's another way to phrase the question....

do you like that it's an available option?

even for those who in the immediacy - on the next cruise, whatever - won't do it... i can't imagine anybody being upset with the new option.

i really like that it's offered. and i imagine that i'll definitely do it at least once.

and i think they're targeting a limited demographic (having too many tours would be disruptive through these areas, i'm sure), which they will have no problem finding a demand for - and the relatively high price, is to achieve the margin / return they wish, while limiting throughput.

I don't see where the Carnival tour includes the gifts that the Princess tour does include so that would make up the difference in cost between $150 on Princess and $95 on Carnival so it would appear that the Carnival line does not feel their passenger base would be willing to pay the higher price if they added on gifts.

i think this story / announcement is kinda 'young' and all the details may not be out there yet... it could include some sort of gift - or drinks along the way, a tasting in the galley - who knows.

personally though, i'm not sure i'd want a robe and chef's apron as i've read are offered on the princess tours... especially AND... but if i did, i'd probably prefer just buying them separately. :D

Let's see,,

I just got off the Valor and this was a limited tour. Only 12 spaces available if I remember correctly.

What??? 2000 passengers and only 1 tour limited to 12 people.

It'll sell and sell out fast at $95.

I was too late to join the Valor tour, I'll definatly be on the next if offered.

so here's the full statement. press release from carnival today:

http://carnival-news.com/2009/07/23/carnivals-new-behind-the-fun-tours-offer-unique-insight-into-lines-shipboard-operations/

Carnival’s New ‘Behind the Fun’ Tours Offer Unique Insight Into Line’s Shipboard Operations

behindthefun1.jpg

behindthefun2.jpg

For those who want to get an insider’s look at the inner-workings of a Carnival “Fun Ship,” the line has created Behind the Fun, a guided tour that provides guests with a unique insight into the company’s shipboard operations.

Currently available on the Carnival Valor and Carnival Conquest, the program will be rolled out to all 12 of the line’s ships operating voyages of seven days or longer by the end of September.

The informative three-and-a-half-hour tour offers participants a behind-the-scenes look at a wide range of shipboard venues that are normally off limits to guests. During the tour, key shipboard personnel, including the captain, chief engineer, chef de cuisine and other department heads, share their vast knowledge in their particular area of expertise.

Behind the Fun begins with a stop backstage in the main show lounge where participants can see exactly what goes into creating Carnival’s award-winning revues. The tour then moves on to normally restricted areas such as the laundry room, crew galley and dining room, crew gym, and crew training center.

Next it’s on to the expansive main galley where talented culinary artists prepare upwards of 12,000 meals and snacks a day for Carnival’s guests. The tour also includes a visit to the ship’s bridge and engine control room and informative Q&A sessions with the captain and chief engineer, respectively.

In addition to a comprehensive overview of Carnival’s shipboard operations, Behind the Fun participants receive a number of commemorative gifts, including a custom-made Behind the Fun baseball cap and lanyard, a Team Carnival Picture Perfect book with stunning photographs of Carnival ships and destinations taken by the line’s employees, and complimentary photos with the captain on the bridge.

Behind the Fun tours can be booked through the ships’ shore excursion desk. The cost is $95 per person and capacity is limited to 16 guests per tour. Guests must be 13 or older to participate.

A version of the Behind the Fun tour is planned for Carnival ships that operate itineraries of less than seven days in length.

wow, only 16 guests per tour. that also makes the fee seem more reasonable in context. :cool:

Wow, I'd love to see a young, shirtless Charlton Heston anywhere on my ship!

I would totally do this tour with DH, and most definitely will do it if it is offered on our Pride Sailing in March - I'll keep my eyes peeled for the opportunity to sign up online. We have done the behind the scenes of the theatre tour, but it ended in injury with DH (firefighter) jumping in to administer first aid. Maybe that's why the numbers are now limited!

man, i hope they're not in the galley of my ship...

but wouldn't this more appropriately be... the engine room? :D

Probably, but "galley" was used in ancient vessels as 'galley slaves". Who did the rowing. (citation).

Yeah, Just looked that up because the SO voice your similar concern.

But it seems the 'galley' was the engine room (rowing)....humm..I wonder when that became the 'kitchen'. Might have more to with the shape of the space and location..I don't know.

Probably, but "galley" was used in ancient vessels as 'galley slaves". Who did the rowing. (citation).

Yeah, Just looked that up because the SO voice your similar concern.

But it seems the 'galley' was the engine room (rowing)....humm..I wonder when that became the 'kitchen'. Might have more to with the shape of the space and location..I don't know.

well ya got me there. i can't say i've ever come across a galley slave so that's news to me :D

i just got the image, with that term currently used prevalently to refer to the kitchen, of those 'galley slaves' doing what? stirring the batter for warm chocolate melting cake LOL :cool:

maybe that's it. or stirring anything else... say it ain't so :)

Archived