coffee

mollywest

It is a card that allows you 15 expresso based coffee drinks and unlimited brewed coffee, specialty teas, hot chocolate at the International Cafe. You can also use a punch in the dining room during or after a meal.

The cost is 24.95 plus tax, so the whole thing comes out to about 28.00 dollars. I thought it was a bargain.

Also, if you do not use up all of the punches on your card, you can save the card for future trips!

If you want coffee that is actually drinkable, you have to get a coffee card. This will get you "real" coffee that is brewed, not the free instant garabage, and with the card, you also get 10 specialty coffees like capuccino and espresso.

Be aware, you can't get real brewed coffee with your card in the buffet, only avail. in the dining room and Int'l Cafe.

The best coffee on our Princess cruise was mildly undrinkable at best. At its worse, it is undrinkable swill. What I did on our cruise was to bring some ground fresh beans and my French press and have coffee in my cabin.

DON

The best coffee on our Princess cruise was mildly undrinkable at best. At its worse, it is undrinkable swill. What I did on our cruise was to bring some ground fresh beans and my French press and have coffee in my cabin.

DON

WOW!! You actually drink coffee from a french press - The stuff in HC is far better than that!! IMHO

Ron

We have been fortunate enought to have the coffee on Princess, Crystal, Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Carnival, and RCI. Princess, by a VERY long distance is, to our taste, at the very bottom of this list. The absolute worst to our tastes.

WOW!! You actually drink coffee from a french press - The stuff in HC is far better than that!! IMHO

Ron

Fresh ground coffee made with a french press, or water with coffee syrup concentrate added ... gee, why would anyone want the latter?

Fresh ground coffee made with a french press, or water with coffee syrup concentrate added ... gee, why would anyone want the latter?

I guess you would never touch coffee from 7 Eleven...right????

I liked the coffee on Princess(plus cream, always)

Didn't mind the bed

Thought the food was so-so

For once I think I am standing out:D

I guess you would never touch coffee from 7 Eleven...right????

I liked the coffee on Princess(plus cream, always)

Didn't mind the bed

Thought the food was so-so

For once I think I am standing out:D

You don't think the "coffee" is bad because you're killing it with white stuff. Try not putting in the moo and then let's hear your comments.

You don't think the "coffee" is bad because you're killing it with white stuff. Try not putting in the moo and then let's hear your comments.
Pia, I too use the white stuff in my coffee, and I still think Princess coffee is by far the worst of the worst. It doesn't matter what I try to put in it, I can't even choke it down. :eek:

Pia, I too use the white stuff in my coffee, and I still think Princess coffee is by far the worst of the worst. It doesn't matter what I try to put in it, I can't even choke it down. :eek:

LOL. I used to dilute it with hot water to make it more palatable, but since the invention of the coffee card...............:D

DON

I suspect we have a few posters who don't know what a French Press is.

I often use it for my evening coffee, but hesitate to travel with it. The French Press delivers the best possible beverage IF your water is hot enough, ie, 200-205 Deg F.

A lesser temp can degrade the product. Having said that, the syrup based c**p in HC is absolutely awful. Even straight chicory (yuk) would be better.:D

I must confess enjoying a cup of French style w/chicory when in New Orleans - perfect with Beignets. :)

BTW - My coffee source, the owner of Java Coffee And Tea, told me that, as with ground coffee, there are different grades of syrup base.

Of course, none would match up with ground coffee.

to judge the result, Princess must purchase the cheapest available.

Here's the skinny on the coffee card:

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $3.00, espresso $2.50.

$25 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other lounges that have brewed coffee.

You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise.

I often use it for my evening coffee, but hesitate to travel with it. The French Press delivers the best possible beverage IF your water is hot enough, ie, 200-205 Deg F.

A lesser temp can degrade the product. Having said that, the syrup based c**p in HC is absolutely awful. Even straight chicory (yuk) would be better.:D

BTW - My coffee source, the owner of Java Coffee And Tea, told me that, as wuth ground coffee, there are different grades of syrup base.

$25 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other lounges that have brewed coffee.

You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise.

What is French Press?

I am thinking a form of ironing but considering this is a coffee thread, maybe not:p

If admitting what you don't know is a form of intelligence, then I am feeling like a genius :-)

It is a glass or metal carafe that that has a plunger device the fitted with a fine mesh screen that acts as a filter. You pour the ground coffee and very hot water into the bottom of the carafe, wait about 5 minutes and depress the plunger (which will hold down the grounds). Then you drink the coffee. It can be notoriously strong and will only work if you can get hot enough water.

I'm sure you've seen one, but perhaps didn't realize what it is. This is it:

french-press-261x300-thumb.jpg

I have seen those so now I can put a name to the 'face'.

I am going to try and drink coffee for the taste, especially the Blue Mountain stuff. I just MSN my friend about bringing back a pound

New rule - know how to do it right before deciding to screw it up:p

I might like coffee without cream. Now I am feeling inspired.

Thank You

I must confess enjoying a cup of French style w/chicory when in New Orleans - perfect with Beignets. :)

BTW - My coffee source, the owner of Java Coffee And Tea, told me that, as with ground coffee, there are different grades of syrup base.

Oh, I know what a french press is - they use it extensively in the UK - it is probably the most unpalatable coffee I have ever encountered. Sorry!

Ron

Just returned from Inside Passage cruise on Golden Princess. The coffee was awful! I am not a coffee snob but their coffee was nearly undrinkable. We ended up purchasing several cups at the International cafe. In the future if we cruise Princess we will absolutely buy a coffee card.

COFFEE

If there was ONE thing I could change on the Princess Line, this would be it!! It is definitely undrinkable. I can't even stand the smell! I would even be willing to pay - but I want it available all the time and via room service.:D The French Press is coming with me. (Trying to cut back!!)

While a "French Press" may be the answer, I am just wondering why something as simple as coffee cannot be made on Princess. I would rather have good coffee, than South American lobster any day!

Kooljammin , thankyou for saying that you felt the food was not wonderfull on Princess. I have just come back from a cruise on the Grand and I felt the food was tasteless and boring. Everyone else says it was lovely , which makes me wonder if we were on the same cruise . On the subject of coffee , Next time I am taking some Rombouts pre-filled filters that you just put on top of your cup and fill with water . I too thought the coffee was awfull . This way I can get room service tea for 2 and just use the hot water and milk. Or , take one with me to HC and fill it there. I don't know if it was the food or the coffee that gave me a bad acid stomach this time , but it's something I never suffer from . On this cruise I had an upset tum for the whole of the second week.

On the subject of coffee , Next time I am taking some Rombouts pre-filled filters that you just put on top of your cup and fill with water .

I thought that was a great solution... then thought again. Two of us on a 15 day cruise equals thirty Rambout rings (they are sold eight per box here). That's a LOT of luggage space.

The coffee card is the best solution for us. On those days that I'm up before 6 AM (not as rare as you'd think) I'll just suffer. :D

• 7 months later...
Your best bet is to get a french press if you really want coffee with flavor as automatic coffee-makers are forbidden on Princess ships or on most cruiseships.

This quote is from 2003, so maybe it's out of date. We want to bring a drip coffee maker on board to make our favorite coffee in the cabin first thing in the morning. Is this truly forbidden? Will it be confiscated and held until our departure?

This quote is from 2003, so maybe it's out of date. We want to bring a drip coffee maker on board to make our favorite coffee in the cabin first thing in the morning. Is this truly forbidden? Will it be confiscated and held until our departure?

My coffeemaker has been cruising with me before 2003 and continues to do so today. No, it will not be confiscated, but hopefully yours has an automatic shutoff. I always just take the plug out when finished using it.

Archived